PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a possible blind steal

dauler
04-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

This guy has tried to steal blinds when it was folded to him once, but there was a time where he folded also, so I couldn't be sure what he was up to. I couldn't really narrow down his range of holdings accurately, but I thought that KTo compared rather favorably to the range and it would be a profitable preflop call.

Flop: (6 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

I knew that he would bet the flop as a continuation bet if it was checked to him regardless of what he held, and chances were that he didn't have the ace. I believe that this method would be very profitable if this ended the action for the hand and it went straight to showdown, but it left me going into the more expensive streets with no extra information about his hand. Any thoughts on how to play this to extract the max when you're ahead as well as losing the minimum when you're behind?

Turn: (4 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

I'd been showing weakness the whole way, so there's still a fair chance that he's bluffing at it trying to pick up the pot with the extra leverage of increased 4th street bet, so I felt that a call could still be justified.

River: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

This call made me really uncomfortable, if he were playing well he'd check anything but an ace or something that had no chance of winning at a showdown, but we all know that expecting other players to act as rationally as we do at these limits is a huge mistake. I felt that given the weakness I had shown he may still be bluffing, and the pot was laying me 7 to 1, so I grudgingly called.

Final Pot: 8 BB

I felt that all of the streets could have swung either way on their own, but I think that overall I need to unify my strategy to work together well as a whole. I didn't have much of a plan on the early streets for what I would do on the later streets. With this marginal of a hand I knew that the only way that I was going to get paid off was if I let him do the betting for me, but that digs me into a hole whenever he has a legitimate hand. I'd love to hear how you guys deal with these situations.

tac252
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Given that your OOP position here i think i would have taken the exact line you took with about the exact same thought process. I am by no means an expert so this could be pretty wrong, but i don't feel like c/r the flop or turn is any good because the times you are ahead he flods and you lose the bets he gives you on later streets and if you are behind he either raises (which will allow to get away from the hand) or calls (which will cost you extra bets). I think your line is fine.
Tom