PDA

View Full Version : Poker: From $0 to Paying My Way Through College

Warder
04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
My Blog Page (http://mikespokerblog.blogspot.com/)

This is a full account of my poker career. I'm starting with 430 dollars in my poker account as of today... turning that 430 dollars into paying for my entire college education starting this fall at the University of Pittsburgh. I plan on keeping this up to date daily, tracking my sessions, experiences, thoughts and emotions. Come, visit from time to time and post your comments. I have my aol name posted there in my profile if you ever want to get ahold of me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jdanz
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
i wouldn't want to read my own blog

KowCiller
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Here's an idea... how about not spamming this post in every forum?

Kids these days...

KoW

Warder
04-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I apologize for spamming the forums with my blog page. I just really didn't know any other way to get people that might be interested to see it. By the way, I changed up the color scheme so it's easier on the eyes. Thanks for all the comments guys

bernie
04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
You need more stepping stones between now and your goal.

The first of which should revolve around be becoming a break even player. This will likely involve a huge battle with your ego.

Given your blog, it seems you have no clue as to how hard it is nor how much work it will take to accomplish your goal.

I'd recommend finding/reading davidross' series about playing poker for a living. Along with his recent thread 'Getting desperate for help'. This will show you just how helpful the forum can be.

It's possible to make alot with no buy in at all. Lots of free money out there. But it's not like you're going to learn what you need in a week or 3.

Keep us posted, but only use 1 forum. You wouldn't be getting near the grief if you did that in the first place. The people interested will find it. We see these types of posts about every month or so. Then never hear from the poster again.

Good luck.

b

ReadyEddie
04-12-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given your blog, it seems you have no clue as to how hard it is nor how much work it will take to accomplish your goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to reemphasize this.

BusterStacks
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Did it occur to you that you might have to be GOOD to make this kind of money?

fire_fly
04-12-2005, 10:51 PM
haha, I'm definately going to keep up with this post. Why? Because I am interested how far someone can go when you start with NOTHING (talking about knowledge of the game.) Read up and kick some a**.

Good luck.

Emmitt2222
04-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Read your blog, you seem like a nice guy, but I do hope you realize that you are at the beginning of a loooooooong journey if you stick with it. I will now dispense some advice, use it as you will.

First of all, although you have started in one direction with NL Holdem and I know that that can be profitable, from what I hear there is more money to be made playing limit so although you may not want to hear this, I suggest switching over. I'm sure some people will argue this, but I'm just going with what I know.

Here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1817317&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) is a post of how I would advocate someone getting started in limit. In my blog [that I've mostly just kept to myself] I posted how I have climbed from free money to the small stakes. That can be found here (http://emmitt2222.blogspot.com/).

I started 7 months ago in the nanos and now 7+ months later I'm at 2/4 moving to 3/6. Its a very very long process of constant learning and putting in the time which is so important. You have to read the books, read the forums, search the archives, not move up too many tables too quickly, review your own game constantly. Its not always going to be pretty, especially during the first few big downswings.

You can only be sure that future results will be unsure. I didn't expect to move up this fast in the limits when I was thinking about it months ago, but I also thought I would make $500 in February and I broke even. The long term is really long so I wouldn't set goals on paying for college just yet. Set a goal to earn some extra spending cash, then maybe eventually set a goal of paying for room and board, or half a semester. Don't shoot the moon all at once or you will burn out and be really bitter. Poker will be a round for a long time and if you take the time to learn, you are almost garunteed to be making a decent amount in a few years, but there is so much that will go on unexpectedly in those next few years that you just have to prepare to accept it as it is.

Study really hard, put in the time, but remember to always balance the rest of your life as well and never let poker take over school work which is the most +EV.

OK I think I'm about done. Good luck in all you do, hope to see you at the limit tables eventually.

bicyclekick
04-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Don't set the bar too low or anything.

ShawnHoo
04-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Good luck with your quest. Always keep learning and don't get too emotional whether you're winning or losing.

And, whatever you do, don't be like this guy:
Busted Wannabe Pro (http://www.rhymeswithjoker.com)

gamblore99
04-13-2005, 01:43 AM
good luck with your quest. like other poster said it is a very long and difficult process to become a player who wins significantly. The majority of the players online will have most likely read one book or another. Especially when you move up to 5-10 and above. Do what the other guys said.

Sponger15SB
04-13-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't set the bar too low or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, well at least you didn't set your goals high..... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=2136432&F orum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main= 2136256&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=10714&dater ange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post2136432)

Ianco15
04-13-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, I'm definately going to keep up with this post. Why? Because I am interested how far someone can go when you start with NOTHING (talking about knowledge of the game.) Read up and kick some a**.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you definately suggesting the average player starts playing with knowledge of the game? Where did they get this knowledge?