PDA

View Full Version : "One more orbit and I'm heading home"

10-30-2002, 01:56 PM
I was talking to someone at a game who changes strategy whenever someone states "One more orbit/hand and I'm heading home".

He pretty much said, he will raise with sub-standard hands to try to isolate the player, or loosen up limping standards.

It made sense to me and I have started not annoucing my departure plans until the button is close to me. i *hardly ever* play crap from such a late position, so I would welcome the oppurtunity for people to charge at me because they think I am coming in light.....But thats really not the point of the post.

My question is this, Has anyone else noticed that people play too many hand/take the hands to far after they annouce they're departure? I have kept an eye on this, and think it is more likely when a player is leaving up, but that is after a small number of observations.

I have also noticed a reverse effect...When a fish annouces departure with everyone's money, it always seems like way too many people stay in, as if they are going to get all their money back from this girl/guy on one hand.

Just wondering what tendencies people have noticed.

Huh?

Fitz
10-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Greg Raymer posted a hand several months ago where he made a brilliant play based, at least partially, on a read just like what you describing. If I remember correctly, he read a big winner for not being willing to risk an entire night's winnings on a single hand very late in the evening.

I know the hand is in the archives, and it is a brilliant piece of poker thinking; it is very much worth looking up. It also substansiates part of your theory.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Maybe its just me, but I would no more announce my departure plans to the table than announce my cards.

Clarkmeister
10-30-2002, 04:24 PM
I've noticed many people who tighten up considerably. When saying they are leaving, they have ended the session in their minds, and they don't want to give any back.

I guess it depends on the person saying it.

D.J.
10-31-2002, 01:21 AM
This is a small problem for me, like the above post says I really tighten up when it's my last round for fear that I might get stuck in a hand that I have to play. This is just one example, 15-30 at Bellagio I'm utg+2 and get Jh10h, a hand that I always play, and mucked it b/c I was getting ready to leave, of course I would have flopped an open/end straight and flush draw, and I hit the flush. I was very upset w/myself and thought if I'm not going to play my normal game my last round then I should get up right then and there. Otherwise, play my hands like I always would and don't let leaving affect my play.

-D.J.

10-31-2002, 12:33 PM
Newbie has the right idea. I learned many years ago that if I ame going to quit I just get up regardless where the blinds are. You see, I have been bitten many times while waiting for the BB to come before I leave

Ulysses
11-01-2002, 05:44 PM
I know a few players who will play just about any two cards for their last orbit, but beyond those players I haven't observed much that could be generalized when someone says that.

However, I definitely see two common characteristics among opponents' play when that happens:

1) There are typically more callers than usual, even if the "last orbit player" raises pre-flop.

2) If "last orbit player" is going to the river, there's almost always going to be a showdown.