PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior Bet.....Who wins?

nickey009
04-12-2005, 02:39 PM
2 guys in the office have this bet:

"I bet you that Mark Prior will not make his April 12th start."

The game is rain delayed. Prior will pitch on the 13th. Who wins?

daryn
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a wash baby.

then again, if that's all that was said, then the guy who bet he would not start wins.

you should always say barring game cancellation!

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's a wash baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

tpir90036
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Well there was no start to make since there was no game. Hence, he did not miss anything. So the bet sounds like null-and-void to me.

chaas4747
04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
13th is his new scheduled start, second guy still wins.

Voltron87
04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
If there was not a game for him to start (assuming you made the injury bet with that particular game in mind, that he was scheduled for) the bet is off.

nickey009
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I'd have to say that "due to injury" was implied but definetly not stated. I believe the conversation was like this:

Jeff: "there is no way that Prior is gonna' start the first week of April. That guy is always hurt and the cubs lie about how healthy he is."

Danny: "No, they said that he wouldn't even miss a start and he'd essentially be the 5th starter. They said he's fine and he'll make his first start April 12th."

Jeff: "I bet you he won't make it."

Danny: "You're on! One yummy corn dog for me!"

MarkL444
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
when was the bet made?

daryn
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
clearly if the bet is between friends, and you both know that "missing it due to injury" was implied, then the bet is a push.

Alobar
04-12-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it had been worded "I bet prior wont pitch on the 12th" then he would have won.

But since it was worded as "prior wont make his april 12th start", you can make the case that since there was no april 12th start for him to make, then there is no bet.

namknils
04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clearly if the bet is between friends, and you both know that "missing it due to injury" was implied, then the bet is a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't the second guy win though, the guy who said Prior would start. Clearly they were both talking about injury and Prior will start as scheduled, it just happens that due to rain it's a day later. The guy who bet he would be injured was dead in the water with this bet, but now since it rained he wiggled out of it.

daryn
04-12-2005, 03:06 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't the second guy win though, the guy who said Prior would start. Clearly they were both talking about injury and Prior will start as scheduled, it just happens that due to rain it's a day later. The guy who bet he would be injured was dead in the water with this bet, but now since it rained he wiggled out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i thought about this when i posted, but then figured due to the ambiguity of the situation, call it a push and move on!

although alobar's post above sums it up pretty well.

nickey009
04-12-2005, 03:10 PM
The bet was made roughly 2 weeks ago.

namknils
04-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, move on seems fine. But if I were the guy who said Prior wouldn't make his start I would pony up and buy my pal a corn dog.

youtalkfunny
04-13-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...if I were the guy who said Prior wouldn't make his start I would pony up and buy my pal a corn dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul
04-13-2005, 02:58 AM
i think this depends on like, you know, if prior pitches tomorrow.

citanul

shemp
04-13-2005, 03:32 AM
I say no bet, but I would concede here if my opponent was insistent. This is a great question, because it underlines how important it is 1) to express all relevant terms and 2) the need for you to believe your opponent will bargain in good faith when ambiguity is discovered after the fact. I would say, that if Prior doesn't start tomorrow, you definitely lose.

If my opponent was insistent I'd pay off -- because my situation is a bit tenuous. Prior, did not, in fact, make his April 12th start. I try to never put myself in spots like this unless it is I who will have the opportunity to be generous. The context I'm assuming here is that this was intended by both parties to be a wager regarding Prior's health on April 12. If both parties can't agree to a solution here, than I think you have to go back to the exact words of the contract (intentions be damned, because, who knows, one opponent might have been aware of the partial free roll inherent in the terms).

Vince Young
04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Don't know about the bet, but Prior sure pitched a great game, thank goodness after Wood's horrid game. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jesusarenque
04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way person #1 loses. He wins or it is a wash, depending on the circumstances of the wager.