PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks for multitabling?

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Im about to buy a notebook and wanted to know if there are any special requirements or secifications(vid card, monitor size,resolution....) I should be sure to look for enable to be able to multitable on it(4 tables)?

salloch
04-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I use a Dell Latitude D800 with 15", 1920 x 1200 display. It four tables great, no overlap.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Great any suggestions as for what price would be reasonable to pay?

any tips? Links?

thanks for responding.

salloch
04-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's the link at Dell...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d800?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&~page=4&~tab=specstab#t abtop

My display is WUXGA which offeres the higer res. Don't know much about pricing or other brands...

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Do I need a higher resolution?

Maybe Im just cheap, but im looking for the most affordable solution as this is coming straight out of a poker roll that isnt too huge at the moment. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Basically for just poker and word processing...what do I need is what im asking. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Bump seriously I need help im on the Dell site and everything.

Think affordable...but efficient.

salloch
04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I would search for laptops with 15" displays and 1920 x 1200 pixels. They're probably all pretty $. Sorry I can't be of much more help....

PinkSteel
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
zaxx19, I'm pretty much a computer geek. Call Dell rather than going through the website. Tell them you need what salloch mentioned, WUXGA, 1920x1200 display. Their basic memory, processor speeds and disk will be absolutely fine for you. In fact, you can get bottom-of-the-barrel processor and disk. They're good on the phone. Hope this helps....

bkholdem
04-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I have a compac presario x1000. It has a 17" screen. I don't think I have the resolution to have 4 screens without overlap and I do fine playing 4 tables with overlap. I bought the floor model and got a discount because of this. If your not getting one with the resolution capacity recommended (1200 by 1600?) I would suggest a 17" screen. I'm planning on getting a second monitor sometime later this year to 8 table.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Their basic memory, processor speeds and disk will be absolutely fine for you. In fact, you can get bottom-of-the-barrel processor and disk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well im cheap but not stupid. Is a slower processor possibly going to hamper my play with PV PT and gametime running on 4 tables perhaps with ultimate history and some mp3 play to boot? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I REALLY dont wanna deal with upgrading the RAM later.

BK_
04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
check out past internet forum posts about this. and the new one about 750 off or whatever. there are always huge deals on dell laptops, use coupons

PinkSteel
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Of course you've probably already bought something by now, but....

I do pretty heavy stuff on my laptop w/ 512MB RAM; I think the Dell standard is almost always 256MB. If you were to upgrade, that would be the one and only thing, other than screen size/resolution, that you would want to spend on, imo.

That said, RAM really is most useful if you're doing a lot of entirely different applications simultaneously, or if you're running stuff with a huge memory footprint. That's when the extra helps prevent swapping out to disk. I don't think the PP software is that piggy, and having 4 tables open isn't what will chew up your RAM -- XP, Outlook, etc. are. I really wouldn't spend beyond 512MB.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanx for the advice.

Ill probaby try to hit the special up tommorow....though these things never work out in my experience atleast not exactly..oh well.

Hopefully ill be able to get what I need WUXGA 15.5 INCHS
with possibly 512 ram for like under a grand if it works out. Id be elated as the Dell quote was like for 1500+ which seems a little high to me, but of course that was with no coupons. I might swing by a Best Buy or whatever to get a better look at what im buying.

Thanx for all the responses guys- if you have any further input feel free.