PDA

View Full Version : too passive here?

iluzion
04-12-2005, 01:49 PM
No reads on the raiser, it was his second or third hand at the table.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Button insta-cold called here, that worried me.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Ok, the cold caller wakes up and raises, I'm putting him on trips or two pair, check/calling UI.

River: (14.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

I improved so I led, but his raise again scared me

Final Pot: 22.50 BB

davelin
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Fold pre-flop. Tempted to c/r the river.

ne14poker
04-12-2005, 02:39 PM
You lucked out. In MP, you should have folded QJo preflop and called if it was suited. Sometimes when we make mistakes, we make them against the right players.

That being said....he must have had Ax spades. They sometimes raise those at these limits. My spidy-sense would have told me trips, too and I would have tried to get to the river as cheap as possible and call anything but a spade.

hicherbie
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
getting raised on the river is usually sign of something really strong so i think a call is fine. betting out on the river is good though.

and its a bad call pf.

Messy Harry
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
To answer the title of your post, I don't think you were too passive.

I have been folding JQ offsuit in that position, so I agree with the other responses advocating a pre-flop fold of this hand.

My first thought was a set of nines, so I'm not sure I would have led the river even though I'd improved.

gopnik
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I'd definitely fold preflop here.
I think c/r, betting, or check calling the river are all ok options here.

@bsolute_luck
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
fold preflop??? really? is this because 1/2 limit? wouldn't this depend on table condition? i'm limping with this at .25/.5, but maybe i'm wrong...????

i thought the same as davelin with a temptation to c/r the river, but if you feared trips why would you bet out? if you think your hand is good, c/r is the way to get the most money not betting and risking facing the field calling with worse to a 2-bet.

if you seriously fear trips, call down.

davelin
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop??? really? is this because 1/2 limit? wouldn't this depend on table condition? i'm limping with this at .25/.5, but maybe i'm wrong...????

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this hand too easily dominated to limp in EP.

Entity
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, this is a fold preflop. You want position for this hand.

I'd checkraise the river, but a bet-call isn't terrible. He's got T8s or 33 a reasonable portion of the time here though.

_bustedflush_
04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I would fold preflop. QJo just won't get it done EP. Once in the hand, don't know if I would have played it your way or check-call the river.