PDA

View Full Version : Overaggro with AA?

antidan444
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
PP $50 NL. I ($52) have A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+2. UTG has me covered and limps UTG. Through 13 hands, he's at 15 VPIP, 1.05 post-flop aggression and has not raised preflop. Pretty meaningless through 13 hands, I think.

I raise preflop to $2.5. Only UTG calls.

Flop ($5.75): 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, I bet $5, UTG calls.

Turn ($15.75): J /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG checks, I bet $10, UTG calls.

River ($35.75): 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks. I have $34 left, think for 10 seconds and decide to push.

Yay? Nay? Mega what-the-hell-were-you-thinking nay?

Rotating Rabbit
04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
People limp UTG with pairs or big suited cards if theyre feeling frisky.

You played it perfect apart from the river.

Preflop: Fine
Flop: with 2 hearts on board you're correct to bet 5
Turn: Betting 10 is perfect again. Gotta bet your hands to win money.

---When he calls the turn, you have to stop betting. Only two possible situations on the river: either hes got a set and has you by the balls, or he has a missed flush draw and isnt calling. He doesnt have a big pair or you would know by now. So theres no point in you betting. Check behind. (If he has a set he's played it very poorly, but you must check this river).

MarkL444
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
bet about 20 on the river.

antidan444
04-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Just to make sure, that pot-commits me into having to call if he pushes, right?

ScottTheFish
04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only two possible situations on the river: either hes got a set and has you by the balls, or he has a missed flush draw and isnt calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are narrowing his hand range much too far. Villain can easily have a J or smaller PP they can't let go of. I don't like the push, as I don't think it gets called unless I'm beat, and I don't hate a check, but a value bet $10-15 will get called by hands we beat often.

I used to automatically check behind on hands like these, but I'm trying to value bet more rivers with TPTK/overpair type hands and it's working pretty well so far.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to make sure, that pot-commits me into having to call if he pushes, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, if you are behind you are getting stacked here I guess ,whatever, if he Johnny Channed this hand good for him Im Eric Seidel and Im falling for it.

13-20 will make a QQ or KK call here maybe even a fool with AJ.

crosse91
04-12-2005, 04:45 PM
i don't like pushing (this hand is nearly exact to one i posted earlier) b/c the 2 calls indicate much strength; but i don't like just check/calling the river either. I think the blocking bet of 10-15 is a good play, but i go into the shitter if raised allin

Rotating Rabbit
04-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Look the trouble with betting 20 is that Hero only has $34 left behind on the river! Betting 20 leaving yourself with 14 is so blatently aces/kings you might as well type in 'I have AA and i'm betting for value' - only a better hand is getting involved. Betting 20 behind is even stronger than betting all-in, its saying puhleaseee call me.

But then, on second thoughts, this assumes your opponent has a brain, which from the way this hand was played, is by no means a certainty. So if you think hes hollow up top then betting 15 may get a call.

2Fast2Furious
04-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I hate the push but did the same thing a few weeks ago with KK - seems like it's so hard not to get caught up in this and just value bet here.....and what if he comes over the top and scares you off? My gut is that you were beat and he had something like 4-5 offsuite and hit his straight and was trying to induce you into betting - but agree with other posters that he only calls you if he's got you beat

antidan444
04-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Much appreciated the post, zaxx ... learned something (a worse hand may call a smaller value bet, but likely won't call a push unless an idiot). Thanks.

2fast2furious guessed villain's hand correctly. For what it's worth, I had him on a flush draw or a set (which means my push didn't make much sense anyway, which is why I posted the hand).

Thanks to all who responded.