PDA

View Full Version : Ive never been to a bar

DBowling
04-12-2005, 01:11 PM
im leaving to go to portland in an hour or so. i just turned 21 a few days ago. ive never been to a bar, but i plan to go while im there. do i pay per drink or can i open a tab anywhere? do all bars accept credit cards or should i plan on paying cash? and how does tipping work? Is my tip based on the number of drinks or the total bill? And finally, do i tip more for mixed drinks than i would a beer? Or is it all the same?
Thanks,
DB

Tyler Durden
04-12-2005, 01:16 PM
weird, i think the answer to all your questions is yes.

yes, you can pay per drink.
yes, you can open a tab.
yes, all bars accept credit cards.
you can tip either based on # of drinks or based on the total bill. i think a dollar per drink is fine if you choose that route.

have fun. do a shot of prairie fire for me.

nothumb
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just turned 21 a few days ago. ive never been to a bar

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are in a wheelchair, have no friends and are on house arrest, this seems totally crazy. I was in the bar at midnight when I turned 21 doing car bombs. (And, actually, there were a few bars I was at before I turned 21, but that's beside the point).

WTF mate?

In answer to your question, the best move is to LET YOUR FRIENDS BUY THE DRINKS. It's your damn birthday.

NT

beerbandit
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
if youre staying for a while open a tab, they may require you to leave your card at the bar --

its easier than paying evey time you get a drink

it depends ---alot on service--- not that tipping does usually not, but when your drinking i never want to look at an empty glass, this is very frustrating especially when im thirsty or not drunk

i guess you could tip more for mixed drinks if your are dealing directly with the person making the drinks - if the drinks turn out really good - also they may decide to start adding a little extra for you

i think that most places now accept debit/credit cards

most bars around beers/drinks are 2-5$ so i usually tip about a dollar a drink

have a good time

beerbandit
04-12-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LET YOUR FRIENDS BUY THE DRINKS. It's your damn birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point

daryn
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
i just turned 21 a few days ago. ive never been to a bar

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are in a wheelchair, have no friends and are on house arrest, this seems totally crazy. I was in the bar at midnight when I turned 21 doing car bombs. (And, actually, there were a few bars I was at before I turned 21, but that's beside the point).

WTF mate?

In answer to your question, the best move is to LET YOUR FRIENDS BUY THE DRINKS. It's your damn birthday.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

bars suck

mostsmooth
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
side note: depending on the type of bar you go to (local bar rather than a dance club), you can just pop $20 or $40 or whatever on the bar and the bartender will take from it each time you order a beer/drink. i guess this is more for when youre actually sitting at the bar

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Where are all the Portland strip club recommendations for this guy?

chaas4747
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
2 Questions that you did not ask that you should have:

1."Should I tell my waitress/bartender that it is my 21st B-day?"
Yes - chances are you will get a couple free drinks out of this.
2. "Can I order a Zima?"
[censored] No!

DBowling
04-12-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to be in portland alone, for two nights. im going to a show tommorow (Atmosphere) and tonight ill probably just hit up a sports bar and pretend to be a Blazer fan.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 Questions that you did not ask that you should have:

1."Should I tell my waitress/bartender that it is my 21st B-day?"
Yes - chances are you will get a couple free drinks out of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and possible laid if you also tell her you're a virgin.

Flushed
04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and how does tipping work? Is my tip based on the number of drinks or the total bill? And finally, do i tip more for mixed drinks than i would a beer? Or is it all the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, the tip has to be based solely on the hotness of the bartender...and maybe on whether you can get a drink within a few minutes of asking and it is prepared properly.

On a serious note, the tip is calculated as part of the final tab (about 20 percent), but there is a minimum. For ex., if your tab is 100, then you should tip ~20, but, if your final tab is 5 bucks (I'm not sure what dive would have those prices), then it's pretty poor form to tip less than 2-3 dollars.

Bartenders are your friends; be nice to them; you'll get perks and what not.

Flushed - ex-bartender

Ulysses
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Go to Doc's. It is fun.

nothumb
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im going to be in portland alone, for two nights. im going to a show tommorow (Atmosphere) and tonight ill probably just hit up a sports bar and pretend to be a Blazer fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sorry to hear that. Now I see why you've never been to a bar.

If I ever end up on the West Coast, I'll buy you a drink. As long as you don't subject me to any emo-rap.

NT

DBowling
04-12-2005, 01:38 PM
atmosphere= emo rap? Ive never thought about it like that before, but its not that bad of a description /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

None of my friends like atmosphere enough to fly there to see them. Most of them are 19-20 though, so i dont have many people to go out drinking with.

DBowling
04-12-2005, 01:40 PM
ill definatly look into it, thanks for the tip

jaybee_70
04-12-2005, 01:50 PM
If you mean Portland, Or. then unfortunately Doc's is closed. /images/graemlins/mad.gif It is now called the Safari Club and I haven't been there to check it out, but yes Doc's was a great place up until the 6 months before they closed.

Joe

jaybee_70
04-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Check out nwpokerleague.com. They sponsor free two table sit n go's at local bars. It's short stack poker, but it's free and the people are generally pretty cool. It's very hard to be a Blazers fan these days, I don't know how anybody would even be able to pretend, but if you go that route good luck.

Joe

SGS
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Are you talking Portland Oregon or Portland Maine.

SGS

edtost
04-12-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if your final tab is 5 bucks (I'm not sure what dive would have those prices), then it's pretty poor form to tip less than 2-3 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

any time i've gotten a bill that low, tipping less than $20-50 would have been a really dick move.

jaybee_70
04-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Portland used to be known for having more strip clubs per capita than anywhere in the US.
If you are close to downtown area check out:
Mary's (oldest strip club in Portland)
Magic Garden in chinatown
Sassy's (used to be a lot better, but will do in a pinch)
Boom Boom Room II (not as good as the original but it's closer)
Safari Club
Cocktails and Dreams
Tommy's (These last 3 are close to each other and can be hopped if you wish)

Joe

DBowling
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
i do mean portland oregon

Flushed
04-12-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if your final tab is 5 bucks (I'm not sure what dive would have those prices), then it's pretty poor form to tip less than 2-3 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

any time i've gotten a bill that low, tipping less than $20-50 would have been a really dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that when bar prices are actually that low. Obviously, if you ordered five Grey Goose martinis at a regular bar and got a tab that low, then you're tipping at least 20. Though it's a bit sketch, since the bartender just ripped off the bar to pocket a bigger tip.

nolanfan34
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i do mean portland oregon

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't been to a bar, but what is your drink of choice? Are you much of a beer drinker? If so, one of the Rogue or McMenamin pubs are good places if you like good beer.

Ulysses
04-12-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you mean Portland, Or. then unfortunately Doc's is closed. /images/graemlins/mad.gif It is now called the Safari Club and I haven't been there to check it out, but yes Doc's was a great place up until the 6 months before they closed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc's is closed? Oh, man, that sucks. I haven't been to Portland in maybe a year and a half. Wow. That place was the greatest ever.

For those who haven't been, it was a strip club, kinda. It was more like a bar where chicks were dancing on the bar. Except they took their clothes off and they danced on stages instead of the bar. And they sometimes had punk rock bands play there. Just the greatest place to hang out.

There was another place like that which was much smaller than Doc's. Any idea what I might be thinking of?

DBowling
04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
i am a fan of good beer, ill check these places out when i get there. thanks

jaybee_70
04-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Then consider Widmer Bro.s also. People here kill for the Heffewisein (sp?)

Joe

jaybee_70
04-12-2005, 03:19 PM
El,
[ QUOTE ]
For those who haven't been, it was a strip club, kinda. It was more like a bar where chicks were dancing on the bar. Except they took their clothes off and they danced on stages instead of the bar. And they sometimes had punk rock bands play there. Just the greatest place to hang out.

[/ QUOTE ]
The place was always a very cool strip club. It was a place that a lot of guys brought there girlfriends and girls felt comfortable there. When they introduced rock bands it really made for a great hang out. Rock band on the main stage with fans groupies etc. Strippers on the other stages, and usually by the end of the night strippers were up on stage with the band. Plenty of single women (hot goth chicks) which is unusual for a strip club. There was a change in management and the place went down the tube pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
There was another place like that which was much smaller than Doc's. Any idea what I might be thinking of?

[/ QUOTE ]
There was a small place on Glisan St. and about 20th, but that closed I think even before Doc's. Similar, also very cool but probably not what you're thinking of. If you think of the place let me know. I MISS DOC'S!!!

Joe

Ulysses
04-13-2005, 05:32 AM
I have been informed that the other place I was thinking of was Sassy's Bar &amp; Grill.