PDA

View Full Version : Recommended gun for cat hunting?

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Wisconsin is considering allowing cat hunting,
Legal Catting (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=8&u=/ap/20050412/ap_on_re_us/killing_wild_cats)

and in reading it I find that cat hunting is legal in Minnesota.

That brings up a lot of unanswered questions that I sure the fine folks here can help me with.

1. What is the proper sporting firearm for catting? Handgun? .22 rifle? AK-47? 12 gauge?

2. What is the bag limit on cats? Are they always in season?

3. What are the Boone and Crockett records for cats?

4. How can you shoot cats? Do you have to lead them a little more?

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I knew those cold-ass states had some redeeming quality. If it were me, I'd use my grandad's 10 guage shotgun. But a 12 guage would probably work as well.

Boris
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd use my grandad's 10 guage shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

does a cat become anti-matter after you blast it with a 10 guage?

nicky g
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
<<<<<How could you?

chaas4747
04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great line from Full Metal Jacket:

Joker: "How can you shoot women and children?"
Gunner: "Easy, you just don't lead them as much."

If you are doing this for sport .22 is the choice. If you are doing this for pure volume I think the 12 gauge would be the obvious choice.

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew those cold-ass states had some redeeming quality. If it were me, I'd use my grandad's 10 guage shotgun. But a 12 guage would probably work as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buckshot or slug /images/graemlins/confused.gif

nothumb
04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
This thread sucks.

NT

ddollevoet
04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
1. Dealer's choice.

2. No limit. They should be.

3. Unknown.

4. No need to lead them. Just shoot them when they are standing there looking at you like YOU are the inferior creature and how dare you interupt their private time.

Boris
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
cats are cool as long as they are kept by responsible pet owners. they are a huge nuisance once they become feral. They kill all the nice song birds.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buckshot or slug /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably go with single- or double-aught buck.

nothumb
04-12-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cats are cool as long as they are kept by responsible pet owners. they are a huge nuisance once they become feral. They kill all the nice song birds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but most people would rather take their adolescent aggression out on whatever cat they can find than seriously address the problem. If people spent as much time on spaying/neutering and responsible pet ownership as they do on lobbying for the right to shoot animals without making any use of them the problem would be pre-empted with much greater efficiency.

We have feral cat colonies near where I work and you're right, it sucks. I just don't like the way we solve problems in this society.

NT

Loci
04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I believe that in Boondock Saints, a 9mm berreta was used, but with house cats reputation for killing those bold enough to track them, I go with Snatch's Desert Eagle .50.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If people spent as much time on spaying/neutering and responsible pet ownership as they do on lobbying for the right to shoot animals without making any use of them the problem would be pre-empted with much greater efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I'm guessing these are not the same group of people. Why not let one group enjoy their pets and the other enjoy their hunting.

FatMan
04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Here would be my weapon of choice.
http://www.bmikarts.com/Catalog/images/rside.JPG

Takes two Ruger 10-22's and converts them into a Gatling gun. You used to be able to get 100 round drum clips for the Rugers, but two 50 round clips taped together for each side should work.

place your order here (http://www.bmikarts.com/Pages/Gatling%20Guns/Gatling%20Gun.htm)

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Also good for neighborhood kids that keep cutting across your grass.

[ QUOTE ]
Here would be my weapon of choice.
http://www.bmikarts.com/Catalog/images/rside.JPG

Takes two Ruger 10-22's and converts them into a Gatling gun. You used to be able to get 100 round drum clips for the Rugers, but two 50 round clips taped together for each side should work.

place your order here (http://www.bmikarts.com/Pages/Gatling%20Guns/Gatling%20Gun.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wisconsin is considering allowing cat hunting,
Legal Catting (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=8&u=/ap/20050412/ap_on_re_us/killing_wild_cats)

and in reading it I find that cat hunting is legal in Minnesota.

That brings up a lot of unanswered questions that I sure the fine folks here can help me with.

1. What is the proper sporting firearm for catting? Handgun? .22 rifle? AK-47? 12 gauge?

2. What is the bag limit on cats? Are they always in season?

3. What are the Boone and Crockett records for cats?

[/ QUOTE ]

A .22 works fine for cats.

nothumb
04-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Sigh.

Okay, that's how people look at things nowadays. It's somebody else's problem.

If you're going to hunt cats, be humane and vaporize them instantly, or at least splatter them so they can be cleaned up by scavengers, since we know you're not going to use the cat for anything after you kill it. Hand grenades seem like a logical choice.

NT

Superfluous Man
04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they are a huge nuisance once they become feral. They kill all the nice song birds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Song birds are a huge nuisance once they become feral. They wake me up with their incessant noise.

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

Okay, that's how people look at things nowadays. It's somebody else's problem.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

Someone didn't get his sense-of-humor booster shot.

Sorry I didn't litter (cat pun?) the original post with a ton of smilies. I intended the post as a satire on:

1. mindless do-gooders
2. big-game hunters
3. gun nuts (I, of course, am a responsible gun OWNER!)
4. cat lovers (house cats are harmless, but useless)
5. people with no sense of humor

Most of the posters seemed to get it.

To be serious, feral cats are a problem. Responsible pet ownership is the correct long term solution, but does nothing about the immediate problem. Growing deer populations are a serious problem in some rural areas, exacerbated by Bambi-lovers. The world is full of problems. I like to laugh at some of them occasionally, and at the attempts of the clueless to deal with them.

Boris
04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
You have no soul.

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Song birds are a huge nuisance once they become feral. They wake me up with their incessant noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend a scoped .22 loaded with bird shot for built-up areas, 12 gauge with bird shot for the wide open spaces.

Stuey
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Most of the weapons mentioned are going to be useless. You will destroy the meat. You will be eating these correct?

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will be eating these correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Just looking for trophy head mounts for my hunting cabin. I'm a sportsman, not a meat-hunter /images/graemlins/cool.gif

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Just looking for trophy head mounts for my hunting cabin. I'm a sportsman, not a meat-hunter /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several cool ones mounted in my den. I like the one with the mouse in its mouth. But my favorite is the one that's mounted backwards so it looks like a cat's ass sticking out of the wall.

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several cool ones mounted in my den. I like the one with the mouse in its mouth. But my favorite is the one that's mounted backwards so it looks like a cat's ass sticking out of the wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

A dead songbird in the cat's mouth looks much cooler. Gives the room some color, and it looks like you are a sensitive guy who was trying to save the songbird. A real chick magnet.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A real chick magnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point.

mmcd
04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I just don't like the way we solve problems in this society.

This is America godammit, and here we solve our problems with guns. If you don't like it, move to France.

Superfluous Man
04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have no soul.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe not, but at least if I shoot a songbird, I'm much less likely to be killing someone's pet.

Edge34
04-12-2005, 06:11 PM
This thread needs a little bit of Save Toby (www.savetoby.com) ...

I always thought humor was one of OOT's finer qualities...