PDA

View Full Version : What to do when card dead in a stud multi-table tourney?

Hauser_III
04-12-2005, 11:41 AM
I know there's a multi-table tourney forum, but 99.99% of the posts there are about hold em, so I thought I'd get better stud-related responses by posting this here.

I played in a 400+ stud tourney on Party last night, and finished 16th. After the second break, I was one of the overall tourney leaders, but lost a ton of chips on the first hand back, when my pocket A's didn't hold up against another player with the other two A's in the pocket and a third player who started with pocket Q's and ended up taking the pot. Two more fiercely contested, and also losing, hands, and I had dropped decently below the chip average, but didn't stop fighting. Top 48 paid, and I went to the felt with split Q's when it was down to about 56, so I know I was not playing afraid and just trying to sneak past the bubble point.

Once I won that hand and got past the bubble, I went absolutely card dead. And I do mean dead. I think the only two hands I played for the next hour or so were both bring-in defenses against potential steal attempts; I succeeded on one, but had to abandon the second one. I continued to be dealt hand after hand after hand of uncoordinated cards that were duplicated in multiple places, and couldn't get positioned for a good steal opportunity because of the action ahead of me (and the fact that I had the luck of having 3 large stacks at my table that weren't at all averse to wielding their stacks and calling down the shorties). As a result, I just bled off chips until the final hand, when I was down to 2000 chips with the bring-in at 300, completion at 1000 and final streets at 2000, and had (99)Q fail to improve against a (JJ)K that limped in.

The question is, what can I do in the card-dead, below-average chip-stack situation? If I have, say, a Q up, and there's a K behind me and 2 other people behind me, and everybody else has folded to the bring-in, should I be trying to steal when my hole cards are duplicated? At the betting levels once the bubble has been passed, if you're below the chip stack average, any unsuccesful completion to try and steal a pot puts a major, major dent in your stack; in fact, I'd say a completion at my table virtually pot-committed me once the bubble broke, because one or more of the large stacks were going to come along for the ride. Should I just pick a hand with two face cards, or two suited connectors, and gamble, or should I just ride the slow wave of ante/bring-in death while waiting for something that resembles a hand that's not going to be a dog to the big stacks that can, and will, afford to come along for the ride? I hated being that passive, but I also hated the prospect of fighting for a pot in a situation when I would be going in with semi-dead, uncoordinated cards.

I'm frustrated, because I finished 15th a few weeks ago in a somewhat similar situation, and I really want to make the final table and do some damage there. I'm sure my game has holes, and I'd like to correct as many as possible, and I want to figure out if the way I approached this card-dead situation is one of them.

greenage
04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I have no idea how you deal with the situation you’ve presented.

Do you think you might have been able to play a little more conservatively right after the second break?

Hauser_III
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think you might have been able to play a little more conservatively right after the second break?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but I think the plays were good ones, not reckless ones. The A's hand was capped on 3rd and, when I led out on 4th and was raised, I knew (don't ask me how) that the raiser had my other two A's in the hole. But, I had a 3-flush on 4th,a backdoor straight draw on 5th and a 4-flush by 6th and the pot was too big to walk away from, although I wasn't jamming after 4th. I wish I had the hand history for it, but I don't think I made any egregious errors.

Jon_1Ivan has commented to me a couple of times during these tourneys about laydowns I have made that he has said he wouldn't have had the discipline to make, so I don't think I'm being too loose in the hands I'm pursuing.

jon_1van
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Hauser,
I've watched you play a few of these tourneys. I don't think you steal enough.

This tight strategy is great while you are waiting for the first 200 or so people to bust. Hell, its the only strategy because there are sooo many super loose players in these. But once the average hand is stolen, heads up, or perhaps 3 way you need to play a hugely different game.

Here is how I handle my stealing thought process.

When the action gets to you ask:
1. Is there a limper? -> if so fold
2. Is the BI commited? -> if so fold

If you haven't folded yet look at the cards behind you. If they are all crap or were duplicated (by perhaps a folded hand) I could very well steal with something like (KT)9.

If one of the cards behind you is higher than your upcard you can't steal recklessly. You need to have something else going. Maybe you have 2 overs in the hole. (AK)9 vs XXJ, XX7, and XX3 is an auto steal. If that Jack was duplicated earlier I'd still probably steal with just the A or K in the hole.

I also wouldn't recommend stealing the same way every single time. Don't consistently bet 3rd, bet 4th, bet 5th. Sometimes when the game gets really tight a limp can be almost as effective. Espically when things don't scream "ideal steal time" to you. The nice thing about this is that opponents very rarely raise you without the goods. So if you have ATK in EP and there is a Q and a J behind you limp in early. You very well might end up heads up against the BI. You also won't get raise unless the guy has you beat

jon_1van
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jon_1Ivan has commented to me a couple of times during these tourneys about laydowns I have made that he has said he wouldn't have had the discipline to make, so I don't think I'm being too loose in the hands I'm pursuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too much of a call station once I get involved in a pot when I wasn't stealing. This is by far my biggest problem. So don't beat yourself up when I say "I couldn't have folded that"

Last night I feel like I folded myself to the ground. I think all the fold were prudent....but I don't KNOW because I didn't call down.

Hauser_III
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I agree 100%. I need to steal more. But I can't get over this mindset that it's a bad idea to try and steal as a shorter stack when I'm not even looking at three relatively live or semi-coordinated cards.

greenage
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Great post Jon.

rtrombone
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
If you get cold-decked in ANY limit tournament, there's very little you can do IMHO. Let's face it, in most limit ring games you use your skills to save, not make money. Any idiot can win with a big hand. Good players, however, fold hands that cost others lots of chips.

This is why your edge is significantly smaller in limit events compared to no-limit events, where you rarely have to show down a hand. It's just a lot harder to steal when the most you can raise is one bet.

Aicirt
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
I only play stud 8 tournaments, however the ends of stud 8 tournaments tend to play like stud hi tournaments. So with that being said, here are my two cents...

You cant fold your way down to 1 big bet. Somewhere before that you have to make a stand, even if it is with a trash hand. If you get rolled up with 1 BB left in your stack, the best that you can really hope for is to come out of that with 4 or 5 BB (and that is pretty generous there), so it doesnt do you any good to wait that long for a hand. I agree 100% with John's post. Especially with his idea of simply limping if there are bigger doorcards behind you. If you limp with a J door and there is a Q behind you, he wont want to raise unless he has split jacks beat, because you will be so close to going all in and he wont want to show a trash hand. If you have the biggest doorcard, raising will often take down the pot.

You dont need cards to keep your stack up in these tournaments. How often you will be able to steal depends upon your read of the table. Find out who folds their bring in easily...find out who is more likely to defend it with a borderline hand. IMO, these later rounds are when the tournament actually starts. You have to stop thinking like a ring game player and be ready to make some plays that would be -EV in a ring game but are +EV in tournaments.

Hope this helps.

Aicirt