PDA

View Full Version : ...think i'm gonna cry a bit now

RagleGumm
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
So i opened my first real money account about 3 weeks ago and deposited 50$, my parents were very sceptical but i assured them that this money is to gain experience and if i lose it all then that means i'm just not ready yet.
I decided that the 5+.5$ SnG's were what suited me the best and started playing. At first i lost 30$ (my bankroll being 20$ now), then i finnished reading WLLH and reread it which made me a very tight/weak player. Oddly enough, i started winning on a regular basis after this. My bankroll reached 80$ at which point i had become more confident.

Then, bad beat after bad beat.
1) holding 22 in big blind, called to me and i check. flop is 332. opponent1 shows junk, opponent 2 shows 33.

2) short-stack at table, all-in with AA. caller shows A7. flops is x77.

3) just about 5 min ago, first hand AsAh. i go all-in to represent myself as a LAG. One caller, shows JcJx. community is XhXcXcXcXc.

I'm now down to 20$.

lorinda
04-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Where are you playing? Is there 1c/2c nl ring?

If you can't grind $20 back up to $50 there, it's possible you are not ready.

Lori

mackthefork
04-12-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't grind $20 back up to $50 there, it's possible you are not ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is, don't sweat if you lose 10 buy ins at any level though, it is very easy to do. You can always do some more reading and thinking and redeposit another $50 in a month or so.

The fact you are playing 5+50s tells me you already have one of the most important skills to become a successful player anyway.

Good luck.

Mack

lorinda
04-12-2005, 09:27 AM
I didn't mean to be a pessimist.

Basically what I meant to convey was "Grind like mad and get it back"

Sure it is, don't sweat if you lose 10 buy ins at any level though

I'd buy in for $1 at a time until I got to a roll of $30.

Lori

Pkr4me
04-12-2005, 10:32 AM
hey, don't feel bad I started at 150, played $5 sngs and got it to 250 and then switched to 10 sngs and got it up to 380 and then all of a sudden, I have just lost. I went from ITM about 35-45 percent of the time to nothing. I have only monied once in the last 18 sngs or so and now I am down to 100.

I know that I just did not become a bad player over night, and I have lost a ton of times where I got my money in with the best hand only to have a lower pair flop a set, that has happened about 6 timessss and then losing to suckouts on the river another 6, but as long as you are playing sound poker it has to turn around. It is like they say it is poker is a lifetime session and it will even out if you play soundly.

I don't feel as bad after watching the $615 WSOP the other day and the guy that busted out 16th and missed his seat had KK and lost to AJ when the other person hit a set with the Jacks and won. Bad beats happen to everyone.

I actually had KK yesterday and got my chips in agains TT and he flopped trips, but I hit a K on the river to win, so it does happen both ways. Just keep playing sound, and don't start loosening up to try and break out of it.

J-Lo
04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
I've got the best comeback story-- has $2 left in my PS account, yes $2... i went and grinded at the .01-.02 PLO games, and slowly moved up--> to SNG's---> then to party--- which those $2 dollars i've won my currect bankroll of 2k--- and cashed out over 3k.

pooh74
04-12-2005, 11:24 AM
My first deposit was 50 on stars...worked it up to 120 playing 5+.5s and stud hilo. Lost it all a month later. deposit 50 again (dont be afraid to reload...its entertainment on the cheap...thats only like 2 trips to the movies).

I never looked back after 2nd deposit, and this is only bc i wasnt afraid to take another stab...just keep playing, and dont change the way you play bc of bad beats. Dont move up just bc u have a good run...read more...read these forums daily for awhile until you start to see the same stuff over and over again.

adanthar
04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I went through 3 $25 deposits on UB a year and a half ago before reading a book and depositing another $50.

That $50 is now $18,000 and change playing very part time.

willie
04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
suck it up champ. i had a huge downswing last month

all you can do is keep makign right plays- besides that it's out of your hands.

tjh
04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
SOunds like you may be a bit young and unable to just replenish the account without borrowing the parents credit card #.

If that is the case and reloading is not an option then grinding it out at the penny tables does work. Man it is hard though. I did some time that way and found I did better when I just deposited another $100.

When I lost my first invesment I decided to invest in books and learning rather than just playing and trying to learn as I played.

Perhaps your folks would pay for a book or two.

There are some good book threads on this forum. Do a search for them.

Theory of Poker.
Ciafone and Rosen's NL/PL book.
Tournament Holdem for advanced players ?

I do not always see these at bookstores it may be best to order online. Bookstores seem to favor "celebrity" books by helmmuth and the like.

As the other posters have noted, a streak of bad luck can happen to the best players. This run of bad luck does NOT prove that you are a loser. It proves nothing. Grind it out, win it back.

pooh74
04-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Theory of poker and TFAP are essentials in my mind...and to be read in that order...They pay for themselves.

Also, HOH (Harrington on holdem) is very good and I def wouldve gained a lot from it way back when...although I still gained from it, if I had read it a year ago, idve thought it was the Tournament bible...great for SNGs too not just multis.

if you're tight on mullah, spend a day at Barnes and nobles or borders and just read TPFAP and theory...itll be worth your time. sorry dave, I hope thats kosher...

Freudian
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I was down 10+ buyins in my first twelve SnGs yesterday. Ended the day slightly up. I think the variance of SnG's is pretty low but you have to be able to handle swings of 20 buyins. Sometimes you just can't seem to win a coinflip. That's poker.

RagleGumm
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys/girls, you have encouraged me to realize that the losing the initial 50$ deposit is obviously not the end of the world. But as someone already assumed, i am young and still dependant on my parents (getting recruited to the israeli army on the 17th of April and no way i could get a job), so my parents would be very disappointed if i had to admit that i lost the money (especially after all of that preaching about already winning).

To those that recommended to get some more reading done, last week i ordered 4 books (hope that i made the right call since there are so many to chose from) :

1) Harrington on hold'em, ...
2) Mike Caro's book of poker tells (my weakness in our weekly home poker game)
3) TOP
4) SSHE

Thanks once again!

Peace

Pkr4me
04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
have all of those books and they are very good.