PDA

View Full Version : Pair lower than top pair

parappa
04-12-2005, 08:16 AM
This looks absolutely bog standard to me, but this sort of hand is driving me nuts, so I need a checkup.

BB is 48/6/2.7 through 30 hands.

Hero is MP1 w/ J/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG folds. UTG+1 calls. UTG+2 calls. Hero Raises. Everyone folds to BB who calls. UTG+1 and UTG+2 call.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Everyone checks to Hero. Hero bets. BB calls.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks. Hero Bets. BB calls.

River: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks. Hero bets. BB raises. Hero calls.

jaxUp
04-12-2005, 08:24 AM
I'd be wary of folding this river vs. somebody this aggressive postflop. Getting 10:1, a call is okay. If it was any less, I think you could let this go.

parappa
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be wary of folding this river vs. somebody this aggressive postflop. Getting 10:1, a call is okay. If it was any less, I think you could let this go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, wow. I'm glad I posted this. This is an auto-cryingcall for me pretty much regardless of pot size. Is it a leak?

ArturiusX
04-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Ask yourself what you beat here, and then ask how often you need to be good here.

I think you're good 1 in 10 times, but 1 in 6 times? Maybe not.

bookie socks
04-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm no expert but I think the BB was slow playing a Kx knowing you would bet. UTG 1 and 2 probably have Ax. I personally hate JJ. It looks big but I seem to get beat anytime a A,K or Q comes on the board. I would rather limp in and chk/call 1 bettor if I don't hit the flop or if an over card comes out. I would try to see the turn cheap. You do have 2 pair but that can be beat easily w/a set of kings or the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif flush. In this situation I would have check/called the flop and check/fold after the turn. That may be wrong but that's probably what I would have done. So did you win the hand?

BigSlickBengal
04-12-2005, 08:37 AM
well u could be calling a flush, trip kings, or just a smaller pair.. i mean he is probly sitting on the flush after he re raises u on the river.

parappa
04-12-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm no expert but I think the BB was slow playing a Kx knowing you would bet. UTG 1 and 2 probably have Ax. I personally hate JJ. It looks big but I seem to get beat anytime a A,K or Q comes on the board. I would rather limp in and chk/call 1 bettor if I don't hit the flop or if an over card comes out. I would try to see the turn cheap. You do have 2 pair but that can be beat easily. In this situation I would have check/called the flop and check/fold after the turn. That may be wrong but that's probably what I would have done. So did you win the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't like to put results in, but I contemplated putting them in the original post. Yes, BB has a K. Playing aggressively after the flop seems to leave me open to this trap, and I especially get caught by it a lot at 1/2. I really don't know what to do about it, and all that people seem to say when hands like that get posted is "well, he played it badly and cost himself money." But I end up betting the other player's hand for him much more than I'm comfortable with, only to get raised on the river by someone who had me beaten earlier. If someone could explain to me exactly why it's not correct for BB to play as he did, I'd like to know, because I think it's costing me money.

(I think the answer is going to be: If I always call the raise, he doesn't lose money, but he allows me to fold to the river raise where I wouldnt' fold the turn?)

ArturiusX
04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm no expert but I think the BB was slow playing a Kx knowing you would bet. UTG 1 and 2 probably have Ax. I personally hate JJ. It looks big but I seem to get beat anytime a A,K or Q comes on the board. I would rather limp in and chk/call 1 bettor if I don't hit the flop or if an over card comes out. I would try to see the turn cheap. You do have 2 pair but that can be beat easily w/a set of kings or the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif flush. In this situation I would have check/called the flop and check/fold after the turn. That may be wrong but that's probably what I would have done. So did you win the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never put someone on one specific hand, put them on a range of hands.

Remember, theres only 2 kings left in the deck. Now think about the odds of someone holding a king AND slowplaying the hand like this. Now think about the other types of hands that would be played similar. Now think about your position. The answer is clear, bet.

Matt Jenko
04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
If this is 0.5/1 or even 1/2 I can well imagine been shown a flush here. If checked to I will nearly always bet with a high pocket pair and until shown otherwise, will keep doing so. There will be times when this aggression is used against you and you get popped at the end, but it tends to be the turn in my experience when this happens. This looks like a backdoor flush to me and I would do exactly what you have done.