PDA

View Full Version : My delayed bluff recklessness revisited

Taraz
04-12-2005, 05:49 AM
OK, other than realizing I stupidly mispelled reckless in my haste, I think I posted a bad example of my delayed bluffs. These are more like the hands I'm talking about:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t3145)
Hero (t2400)
UTG (t505)
MP (t1200)
Button (t750)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t800) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t3945)
CO (t1210)
Button (t455)
SB (t800)
Hero (t875)
UTG (t715)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t60) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

Turn: (t160) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t70</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t210</font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1410)
SB (t3030)
Hero (t3560)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t800) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t1600) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>

Are these really that bad? I mean, they are read dependent obviously, but it just doesn't seem like I get caught that many times when I try this. I should probably add that I normally have a tightish image going into levels 4 and 5. If someone has been minraising to steal blinds a lot, this play usually works for me. Maybe I've just gotten lucky. What do you guys think?

Jman28
04-12-2005, 05:50 AM
You should post hands like this without the results. Stop the HH after your bluff bet.

That was we can be more objective.

-Jman28

Taraz
04-12-2005, 05:54 AM
OK, I edited it and removed the results.

Freudian
04-12-2005, 06:13 AM
How on earth are they read dependent? Seems to me you are willing to take a hand to the turn and then jam it hoping the other guy will fold. And since it has worked for you a few times and you have now posted two topics on the subject I think you will continue doing it. I think this is a definite case of fancy play syndrome.

Bluffing can be effective, but you seem very formulaic about it. What do you do when called and checked to on the river? All-in?

Apathy
04-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I like # 2 and 3 a lot better then #1.

In #1 You have a healthy stack with tons of folding equity and you will throw that all away if you lose this hand, your risking too much imo, plus you have no outs if your are called.

#2 I like a little better because you have outs, but it looks like this guy has a hand to me because he bet more on the turn then the flop, I think 2nd pair or weak king. I don't know if he'll lay it though.

#3 I like, the board is uber scary and he led out, usually not the sign of a monster. If the turn was bet again you should probably fold.

LaggyLou
04-12-2005, 12:28 PM
So when you do this do you hear Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten in your head saying what a "gutsy" and "brilliant" player with "a lot of heart" you are?

Taraz
04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
So it seems like most of you think that it's probably better if I stay away from these types of plays. Maybe I just get too satisfied with myself when they work. What I meant by read dependent is that the player doing the betting/raising seems to be stealing a lot of pots uncontested. I think the best advice about what I've been going has been that although they might work from time to time they aren't necessary to beat the 11's and the 22's. Thanks for your replies.

Freudian
04-12-2005, 06:44 PM
If you want to do these plays try them when you at least have a few outs (middle pair, overcards, a draw). That way you might get a legitimate hand on the river when called.

When it's threehanded, there is much more room for plays like this of course.

Nottom
04-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I make plays like this at times, but they are pretty situation dependant and often involve me as the chipleader.

Hand 1: I don't like it becasue you are comfortably in 2nd place, and spewing chips to the chip leader can get expensive. You have a big enough lead over the rest of the field to wait for a better spot. If you were the chip leader this is a fine play.

Hand 2: Blinds are too small to worry about getting tricky. Just let him have your blind.

Hand 3: This is a decent spot to try this sort of thing. In fact here its more of a semi-bluff anyway and your K may even be the best hand.