PDA

View Full Version : Kids can be cuel. A beautiful story

bernie
04-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this but it's a great story. I read this story in my local paper a few years ago and it always makes me smile to think of it. Usually around easter time, for obvious reasons. But other times too, it's such a good one.

A mother wrote in about her favorite Easter story. She wrote that she took her young daughter, (maybe 4-6 yrs?) to an egg hunt. There were a bunch of kids there and a big field.

One thing though, her daughter was blind.

Bell rings, all the kids scatter and snag. The daughter being left in the dust by them, kind of groping along. She was getting skunked when one little boy decided to put an egg in front of her to find. Upon finding it, her whole face lit up. Seeing that reaction, the little boy kept putting his eggs out for her to find. Eventually some of the other kids clued in and joined the boy. Her basket got filled.

The mother wrote that it was one of her greatest memories she had of Easter. Reading it made it one of mine.

It's always good to read/hear about a story like this about little kids. Sometimes little kids can be cool.

b

plaster8
04-12-2005, 06:19 AM
That's a great story, bernie -- do you remember what paper it was in? (As a Seattle-area journalist, I have to ask.)

bernie
04-12-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you remember what paper it was in? (As a Seattle-area journalist, I have to ask.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seattle Times, I believe. It was awhile back. One of the big 2. Back then Im pretty sure the Times.

Im not sure if it was part of a feature article where they had people write in their stories or not. I think it was.

I like the visual I get when I think of it.

b

Turning Stone Pro
04-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Over the last year I have begun doing a significant amount of law guardian work as part of my practice (representing children from infants up to about 15 year old), usually in custody/visitation-type family court cases. Though sometimes heartbreaking, it has been truly rewarding.

It's amazing to me how much smarter and more thoughtful kids are when compared to their bickering, self-centered parents. It's also not hard to figure out why children grow up and develop the problems they do - unfortunately, apples sometimes do fall close to the tree.

TSP

Glenn
04-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else think that bringing the blind child to the egg hunt in the first place is a horrible decision? I understand the concept of trying to make the child feel normal, but without the kids' intervention it would just make the kid feel more disabled/left out. It's like signing your fat kid up for a track team. Sure he needs excercise, but putting him in a situation where he will fail and be constantly reminded of his problem is not helpful.

WWJFergusonD?
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
I completely misread the title of this thread as cRuel. I was expecting a wickedly ironic post, not a kewl one! Thanx!

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
That wasn't at all funny. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

bernie
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that bringing the blind child to the egg hunt in the first place is a horrible decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

In writing this, I agree and it did cross my mind, it does seem odd to do that to your kid. I couldn't remember the mothers thoughts on this or the situation surrounding it. But I'll give her the benefit until I, if I, ever find that article/letter again. I have a feeling there was a good reason. Or upon initially reading it, that'd likely have been one of my first thoughts also. Cynical and sarcastic that I am.

However, if you had a blind kid, and she was really looking forward to an egg hunt, wouldn't you take her? I mean, let's say all her little friends are talking about it. However, you're in a small town so there's no egg hunt offered for 'handicapped' kids. Just a scenario.

Wouldn't holding the kid back from participating also be reminding her of her problem? Especially if all her friends would be going? Sometimes the kid just wants to be there and participate to be normal, not necesarily succeed at it or 'win' anything. There's a pro and con to both sides.

I think it's a little different if the kid is likely to be teased and ridiculed. Which I don't remember ever happening to anyone at an egg hunt.

Anyways,

it's still a cool story.

b

bernie
04-12-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't at all funny

[/ QUOTE ]

What made you think it was s'posed to be funny?

b

InchoateHand
04-13-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't at all funny

[/ QUOTE ]
What made you think it was s'posed to be funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't, why bother posting it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

partygirluk
04-13-2005, 12:47 PM
This is a quick story about the bond formed between a little girl and
Here is a similar story about a young girl. It's allegedly true and makes you want to believe in the goodness of people and that there is hope for the human race.

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant building.

One day Willie and a gang of building workers turned up to start building a house on the empty plot. The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold, more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.

At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope containing two pounds in 10p coins. The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.

When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and the fact she had a 'pay packet'. "You must have worked very hard to earn all this" said the bank cashier.

The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men building a big house."

"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the house again this week, as well?"

The little girl thought for a moment and said,

"I think so. Provided those c*nts at Jewson deliver the f**king bricks.

Bill Murphy
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
LOL.

As for the initial story in this thread, as wonderful as it sounds, it's very similar to many TGTBT-"suburban legend" stories that get e-mailed around.

I hope its true, tho, as I'm a bitter, pessimistic, cynical, surly, sarcastic, etc...

KingCon
04-13-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a quick story about the bond formed between a little girl and
Here is a similar story about a young girl. It's allegedly true and makes you want to believe in the goodness of people and that there is hope for the human race.

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant building.

One day Willie and a gang of building workers turned up to start building a house on the empty plot. The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold, more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important.They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.

At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope containing two pounds in 10p coins. The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account.

When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and the fact she had a 'pay packet'. "You must have worked very hard to earn all this" said the bank cashier.

The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men building a big house."

"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the house again this week, as well?"

The little girl thought for a moment and said,

"I think so. Provided those c*nts at Jewson deliver the f**king bricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you got your MAXIM also

bernie
04-13-2005, 04:38 PM
I've heard that one.

On a similar note, I did that with my niece. She was about 4 or 5 yrs old and I was working on my sisters floor. She wanted to help so I handed her a broom. Now the broom was about 2+ ft taller than her but she was game. I showed her into a room and she'd do her best. At the end, she was sweating pretty good.

Walking back to her house I gave her some money. She asks what it was for, so I explained to her how she earned it and worked for it. All during dinner she's telling me things she could do for me, like cleaning my house if I ever need it. She was pretty adamant.

b