PDA

View Full Version : hat, sunglasses, ipod: Are you a "pro"?

BobboFitos
04-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Just now got into a conversation with a respected poster on this forum. Since I've been big into non poker topics, on a board it doesn't really belong, here's one more: (actually, it DOES apply, so please dont say "but Bobbo this doesn't belong here !^*($^@(")

are wearing these things pos EV while playing live?

he says:
XXXXX: those guys who dress like that are total tools

so does that mean cultivating that image is + or -?

For the record, I dont own sunglasses, but I sorta trapped myself by saying how cool all the hats were and talking about my ipod...

And I still maintain online apparell = the bomb.

TheWorstPlayer
04-12-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And I still maintain online apparell = the bomb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spelling = teh r0x0r.

I think that apparel helps cultivate an image. Any image can be used to your advantage as long as you are aware of what it is and how to do so. In my opinion, wearing that stupid crap makes you look like a tight ABC player who is most likely weak-tight. I think if you dress like that and take shots at other good players you will be successful. Especially if you show a little weak-tight play initially.

I agree that it makes you look like a tool though.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are wearing these things pos EV while playing live?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Thats the short answer especially pertinent to lower limit games.

Ive played live a decent amount and usually wear a hoodie myself its roomy and cumfy, I guess its also blocks my neck and face out a bit...but thats not that important.

My advice is wear something really cumfy if you are TAG you might be sitting awhile.

Sponger15SB
04-12-2005, 04:30 AM
whatever +EV it is gets totally dominated by having to beat the [censored] out of myself for looking like such a fool.

bkholdem
04-12-2005, 06:30 AM
What about wearing discheveled clothing and buying in big, acting strange and paranoid, and then taking out a roll of tin foil and wrapping it around your head in the middle of a big hand?

TheWorstPlayer
04-12-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about wearing discheveled clothing and buying in big, acting strange and paranoid, and then taking out a roll of tin foil and wrapping it around your head in the middle of a big hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I only do that to protect my head from the radiation. And I'm so embarassed that you saw me doing it.

Los Feliz Slim
04-12-2005, 09:48 AM
I tried wearing sunglasses and headphones and I: A) couldn't freaking see or hear anything; and, B) fell like such an enormous toolbag I couldn't look anyone in the eye. So, I played like a deaf and blind person with social anxiety disorder.

If it makes you feel good to wear a hoodie and keep an unlit cigarette in your mouth, rock on. But anyone who wears this stuff purely to create an image is making a mistake, IMO.

four eight suited
04-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Wearing this stuff in low limit games only makes you look like a idiot. There are so many obvious tells to pick up on from newbs playing low stakes NL this play has got to be -EV. In vegas over spring break there was a guy sitting at the binions 1-2NL no capped buyin with about $1200 in cash in front of him. He would lean over to his girlfriend and say stuff like "watch this" before he put in a big bluff. Needless to say it worked out nicely

stealyourface
04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I played like a deaf and blind person with social anxiety disorder.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaha!

schwza
04-12-2005, 11:30 AM
when playing live i stick by my online theory of "don't do anything that's going to make people pay attention to me." it's a lot easier to get action making your first raise in 40 hands if no one's checking out the kid in the pokerstars hat.

BobboFitos
04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when playing live i stick by my online theory of "don't do anything that's going to make people pay attention to me." it's a lot easier to get action making your first raise in 40 hands if no one's checking out the kid in the pokerstars hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this post.

So - does that mean my personalized jersey / hat / poker club groupies are a no no?

DWarrior
04-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't know why everyone advocates being invisible. I see people do this all the time, and they just look bored out of their minds. Noone really gives them action, but they grind it out and make a couple of dollars every night.

I look young enough so that people always ask me if I'm old enough to gamble, and I'm generally referred to as a kid. So, if I tried to look invisible, it'd be very difficult to do, as most of the guys I play with are twice or three times my age. Instead, I just went along with the image and decided to stick out like a sore thumb. It's not only more fun and comfortable (listen to my iPod, loose cloth), but it makes me look like I learned to play from TV, not from the books, when the truth is, I've never actually watched TV-poker.

I'm usually the one creating action, and I try to loosen up the tables. I not only get paid off more, but I also get to pull cooler moves (since the "grinders" don't really think I can pull them off), and it's just plain more fun to play to the image.

etgryphon
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I really think this discussion isn't a you should wear this or you shouldn't wear that...It kinda one sided and narrowminded.

The real question you should ask youself is what image do I convey by dressing this. I will dress in a large chicken suit if I thought that it would be an EV move. There are someplaces where you can were the "pro" outfit and sometimes where it doesn't make sense. I just want to consistantly ask myself what I am conveying by wearing, doing and use it to my advantage. A friend once told me in poker everything that is done at the table means something. Thats one of the reason that I like this game so much you are playing people and trying to be aware of everything of value.

-Gryph, getting down from the soapbox

schwza
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poker club groupies

[/ QUOTE ]

groupies are always +EV.

zaxx19
04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually the one creating action, and I try to loosen up the tables. I not only get paid off more, but I also get to pull cooler moves (since the "grinders" don't really think I can pull them off), and it's just plain more fun to play to the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you are a LAG..cool, but id dont think your appearance is part of this.

DWarrior
04-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, but it sorta helps me get "in character", as I'm quite reserved by nature, and it's much easier for me to play tight.

Also, is being an LAG a negative thing? I've recently read Zee's article on poker player development, and I'm at the stage (LAG) where I can take any two cards and play them like the nuts (being able to recognize when my opponent DOES have the nuts, of course /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). When I first did this, I basically went broke, because I played any two cards. But recently, I've been harnessing this style, and I know which hands to stay away from. For example, I get away from Ax like a plague, but I stick around, and even raise, with 68o against weak opositions, since I can easily get away with a pair, but the straight is devastating against "by-the-book" players.