lsd

John Cole
10-30-2002, 01:37 AM
brad.

Is that one word?

John

brad
10-30-2002, 05:31 AM
im surprised you didnt realize that lysergic acid diethylamide is really an abbreviation for 'acid'.

on the offhand chance i was wrong, i looked it up and yes, acid is one word.

scalf
10-30-2002, 08:51 AM
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif really, john, can't you stop being a teacher for 5 secs...i hope you are at foxwoods sometime next week, nov 6 to 10, as i will be there taking all the cash down...in 1-5 stud..lol...gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

John Cole
10-30-2002, 11:57 AM
brad,

Oh, I realized what it stands for, but since it's an acronym, I wondered whether "lsd" represented three words or one. That is, certain acronyms become words, for example, "radar" and "scuba." But when I see "lsd," I don't say "acid"; instead, I say the three letters individually. I'm going to check with someone who knows much more about linguistics than I. It's also interesting because fewer people know what the letters stand for than know what they refer to. In other words, perhaps "lsd" can be one word roughly analogous to "radar" and "scuba."

John

John Cole
10-30-2002, 12:04 PM
scalf,

Let me know when you arrive, and I'll be sure to take a trip down. I need to get out of the house. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John

Boris
10-30-2002, 12:47 PM
Can you even find LSD anymore?

Brad - You must have had a very horrible experience with LSD. I thought the movie was pretty scary as movies go. Although to be honest I have a hard time remembering what it was about now.

Anyways, this movie didn't remind me of any past voyages. I think you might want to seek psycho-therapy before dropping acid again, if you can find any.

brad
10-30-2002, 08:29 PM
i wasnt going on personal experience there, bud. heh

but seriously it was either that or whoever wrote that was just naturally psychotic.

brad
10-30-2002, 08:31 PM
no youre right i was just kidding.

im pretty sure radar and scuba are 'words' and lsd isnt simply because the first two have a wordlike form, whereas lsd doesnt (no vowels).

shouldnt that be 'less people' though?

Boris
10-30-2002, 08:36 PM
There is a big difference between tripping on LSD and being psychotic. At least I think there is. I've never been diagnosed as being psychotic. I associate psychosis with being violent, depressed and generally anti-social. pretty much the opposite of being high on LSD.

brad
10-30-2002, 08:45 PM
no i think lsd is described in a lot of literature as an artificically induced psychosis. break with reality you know.

you have to admit that movie was a pretty big break with reality. heh

seeing extraordinary relationships between ordinary things is i think one of the things crazy people do, like in the movie.

brad
10-30-2002, 08:46 PM
btw, i just found an american company you can mail order piracetam from.

Boris
10-30-2002, 08:56 PM
What's Piracetam?

brad
10-30-2002, 09:10 PM
look on the internet. i took it in college it helps your memory. also its the most tested/safest 'drug' ever. (came out 1965 or something)

pretty much a super-vitamin.

helps brain oxygen utilization, high altitude climbers take it and in france so ive read they dose surgery patients with it so if they get in trouble they have an extra minute or two before brain damage/death occurs.

John Cole
10-31-2002, 08:14 AM
brad,

Yes, "scuba" is a word, but it was formed from the acronym. No, it should be "fewer" people, simply because people can be counted; in this case, we wouldn't, but we could.

John

brad
10-31-2002, 08:30 AM
'No, it should be "fewer" people, simply because people can be counted'

'i am not a number, i am a free man. ha haha hah'

seriously i was getting a six pack of coke or something i got the the express lane and theres this woman ahead of me who had literally like 18 items. in a 10 item or less aisle. i had to admit, it was a pretty bold move.