PDA

View Full Version : Have you had a concussion?

Dubra
04-12-2005, 02:01 AM
I got one of these damned things about two months ago. Still having headaches and its driving me crazy. Have any of you had a concussion before and gotten over the headaches? How long did it take? thsnks

Bukem_
04-12-2005, 02:04 AM
I had one, things were foggy for a few days but no headaches.

housenuts
04-12-2005, 02:04 AM
i've had 4 or 5. no long term headaches though. what level concussion did you get?

Tyler Durden
04-12-2005, 02:05 AM
In the summer of 2002 I was beaned in the head w/ a baseball and had headaches for 24 hours. I couldn't speak by the time I got to the hospital. It was really scary.

A friend and I were in Vegas and he slipped and fell as he was getting out of the shower just hours before our return flight was leaving. I found him unconcious and naked on the bathroom floor. I had to call security and they put him on a backboard and loaded him into an ambulance. Really terrible stuff. His headaches continued for two weeks and he had to see a neurologist when we got home.

So, the answer is: it depends. On the severity of impact and other factors. If they persist you should see an MD. And of course take Advil regularly.

Tyler Durden
04-12-2005, 02:06 AM
btw, this is a good question for sup bro.

wacki
04-12-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got one of these damned things about two months ago. Still having headaches and its driving me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

See a doctor. You're going to need a cat scan/MRI.

Dubra
04-12-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got one of these damned things about two months ago. Still having headaches and its driving me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

See a doctor. You're going to need a cat scan/MRI.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i've actively been doing this.
ct scan neg, mri later this week to determine the source of this "chronic pain"
just trying to find some positives to look for
thanks

Dubra
04-12-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've had 4 or 5. no long term headaches though. what level concussion did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

my doc didnt give me an number because he said there are numerous standards to go by such as loss of consciousness, headache persistence, etc.

wacki
04-12-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

just trying to find some positives to look for
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Medicinal marijuana is legal in California.

thatpfunk
04-12-2005, 02:33 AM
2 skateboarding, 3 football

scrub
04-12-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got one of these damned things about two months ago. Still having headaches and its driving me crazy. Have any of you had a concussion before and gotten over the headaches? How long did it take? thsnks

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a bad one in a car wreck--the effects lasted for a long time.

scrub

The Yugoslavian
04-12-2005, 02:45 AM
I've had several. I had very bad headaches from allergies at the times when I had concussions so I don't really know if the concussions had anything to do with them.

I no longer have any bad headaches almost ever.

I think it's not good if you're having bad headaches much longer after the concussion though....prolly should get it checked out.

Yugoslav

Stuey
04-12-2005, 02:51 AM
I used to play hockey and suffered several concussions. The more you get the worse it is and it seems to take less force to cause one. I would think I was over it and return to playing to early. Ever seen one of those fainting goats?

I would limit the intense physical activites for awhile and keep seeing the doc. Yah bruised your brain bro. The worst should be over though. They told me if I had done major damage it would be easy to find. I also found reading or concentrating for long periods gave me a headache. Maybe avoid these and see if you improve. gl

Gamblor
04-12-2005, 05:39 AM
playing a hockey and lacrosse and dumb [censored] like mountain biking in the Mitzpe Ramon crater and car accidents.

the headaches go away. keep hydrated and sleep alot. talk to doctors, obviously.

mri/ct the usual.

dont do anything active until you're cleared by a professional, which usually takes vo2 max testing and pattern recognition testing.

thatpfunk
04-12-2005, 05:40 AM
you're not supposed to sleep after being concussed. this is like rule number 1 the doctors give you.

lu_hawk
04-12-2005, 07:29 AM
i got one after a collision at home plate. for a few hours i didn't know where i was, didn't know what day it was, etc. but i don't think i ever had any headaches at the time or later on. guess i was lucky.

jakethebake
04-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Clearly I have.

I got over the headache in two to three days, but it was a mild head injury. (With lasting effects).

astroglide
04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
yes i've had a couple, one of them pretty bad. i don't remember having headaches but i was a kid. did have memory loss though.

Dubra
04-12-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to play hockey and suffered several concussions. The more you get the worse it is and it seems to take less force to cause one. I would think I was over it and return to playing to early. Ever seen one of those fainting goats?

I would limit the intense physical activites for awhile and keep seeing the doc. Yah bruised your brain bro. The worst should be over though. They told me if I had done major damage it would be easy to find. I also found reading or concentrating for long periods gave me a headache. Maybe avoid these and see if you improve. gl

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thanks. the hardest part for me has been to balance trying to do stuff without doing too much and getting headaches for the rest of the day.

Gamblor
04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
obviously not the first night afterward.

they always woke me up every couple hours.

i mean like a week later if you still have headaches.

MicroBob
04-15-2005, 01:57 AM
3 or 4 playing soccer....but not to the degree of yours I think.

Took an elbow in the forehead from a goalie trying to get a head on the ball and blacked-out for a few seconds. Only time I have ever blacked-out (including drinking).
Stayed in the game though as I got up quick enough. But puked my guts out afterwards.

Another came just from having a zillion head-balls in a game in an intramural college game.
The last one was a monster-long goalie punt and I got it squarely back with my forehead....and then I wasn't able to see out of my left-eye.
Left the game and eventually regained my vision...had to work that evening and in my 10 minute walk to my job I was weaving around like I was drunk. I just couldn't walk straight no matter how hard I tried.
People I worked with told me that my eyes were dialated and that I clearly had a concussion. I decided not to go to a doctor because I was feeling better though.

In baseball I was friends with a guy who got beaned in the head by a first-rounder with a fastball.
He walked off the field and was fine....then sitting in the dug-out he passed out. I think they took him to the hospital and used smelling-salts or whatever.
Few days later he thought he was ready to come back but he left the game again because he threw-up again between innings.

He said he was sleeping about 16 hours a day and was still having dizzy spells and bad headaches even 2 weeks after it happened.

People get hit in different parts of their brain with varying degrees of severity so obviously each situation is different.