PDA

View Full Version : $3K a week stuffing envelopes????

The Stranger
04-12-2005, 01:22 AM
I have a buddy who is thinking of trying this.

Does anyone have any experience with these sort of schemes?

I told him that it sounds too good to be true, but he said he's still going to look into it.

pshreck
04-12-2005, 01:26 AM
What is the scheme?

JTrout
04-12-2005, 01:33 AM
google the company. that'll probably stifle any urge to do it.

Hint: When you have to send them money first,........

housenuts
04-12-2005, 01:39 AM
last summer i had 2 weeks off between the end of school and waiting for my job to start. my dad sorted me out with this gig to stuff envelopes at his work one day for 8 hours. it sucked.

The Stranger
04-12-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the scheme?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I don't think Russell (the friend) does either. He said there was one company that makes you pay first, and another one that doesn't. Obviously he's not interesting in paying to work. He said you get paid per envelope, and its pretty much under the table. He calculated out to where he thinks he can make $3K/week.

He's just trying to get some cash together to go up to Alaska to clean fish 14 hours per day for a few months. Its not a glamorous job, but I guess it pays well. He's had a very tough time getting and keeping work. I filled up his gas tank and bought him dinner tonight, but I wish there was more I can do. I just don't want to see him get burned by one of the many scam artists here in Los Angeles.

JaBlue
04-12-2005, 01:52 AM
i have done some envelope stuffing for youth baseball etc. back in the day and if this guy is planning to lick the envelopes himself he won't last long... he will run dry fast.

Russ McGinley
It is a scam. I did the same thing back when I was about 16-18, thinking it was a great way to make money. It is a fairly easy "job", but the thing is, its just another pyramid scheme. They send you a list of 50 people, all printed out on stickers, envelopes, and a few pieces of paper advertising making $3k/week or whatever (same thing your buddy found). They send the company a check for whatever the up-front fee is, and they are in the system along with you. So basically everyone is just mailing out crap to each other. Your buddy earns a small percentage for everyone that signs up with his code, kind of like the affiliate programs we all know and love. I did one rotation and got a $10 check in the mail about 2 months later (for my $50 investment).

Trump
This should answer all your questions:
http://www.getpaidforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311245&hl=stuff+envelopes

The Dude
04-12-2005, 01:53 AM
These things are illegal, BTW. And yes, I know several people who have tried them. They don't work.

TimM
04-12-2005, 01:57 AM
They have machines that stuff envelopes, why would they pay people $3K/week? Unless it was a scam, that is.

TStoneMBD
04-12-2005, 01:57 AM
i dont see how this could be a legitimate operation. i used to work in a payroll department and we had to fill thousands upon thousands of checks into envelops and seal them. we would stuff the envelops ourselves, which would only take a few hours. we would then go down to the basement where there was an envelop sealing machine. it sealed all the envelops within a half hour.

Jules22
04-12-2005, 02:03 AM
stuffing envelopes with drugs maybe

Happy Hour
04-12-2005, 02:46 AM
Watch out for the Alaska fishing jobs thing, too. Don't know how your friend is going about getting that job, but most of those "Make $8,000 a month on Alaska fishing boats" ads are not really ads for the jobs. They are really just outfits that will sell you a list of the companies that are actually hiring. The list is probably old and outdated and something you could find yourself on the web, anyway. That was my experience with them, anyway.

Guthrie
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
It's tragic how the envelope-stuffing industry has such a hard time finding qualified workers. You'd think that with the millions of manufacturing jobs exported to China and the millions of back-office jobs exported to India, and with 10,000 illegal aliens swarming across our border every day, there would be plenty of workers available. Apparently not. Unskilled workers who just a few years ago slaved away at minimum wage in envelope stuffing factories are now in such demand that they command $3K per month for stuffing envelopes at home! The companies think nothing of buying trucks and fuel and hiring drivers to haul all these envelopes around to far-flung home workers all across the nation. Such is the demand for envelope stuffers. Tell him to go for it. You might want to try it too. Beats eight tabling at .5/1.

CORed
04-13-2005, 05:00 PM
The usual deas is that you send somebody some front money to get you started, and they tell you to run an ad that says "Make $3k per week stuffing envelopes".