PDA

View Full Version : Could I have played these differently? Stud8

Canucks5
04-12-2005, 12:51 AM
1st off, I would like to say hi, longtime lurker, 1st time poster. You folks have a great board here, I'm going to make an effort to start contributing when possible.

For the past month or so I've come upon a bad run of cards at Party and its skins. Today particularily, played 335 hands, and only got a piece of 26 pots for an astonishing 7.7% win rate.

These were the two hands that ended my evening (back to back). Any advice on how I could have played them differently would be much appreciated.

1st hand, have to assume seat 5 has 8's rolled or lo straight flush possibilities when he re-raises me on 3rd. The 4 on fourth can only help him, I think I made a mistake not folding here. Him catching the 4th Ace on fifth seals the deal and I'm gone. Should I have hung around until 5th? What about betting 4th showing the best lo draw?

2nd hand I'm stumped, bet all the way and got called down. Too aggressive on my part with only 1 pair until 7th?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___completes___raises
Seat 6: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds

4th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___raises
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls

5th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Hero: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___folds

6th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

River

Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___bets

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif___completes
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds

4th Street

Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets

5th Street

Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets

6th Street

Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets

River

Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif xx___bets
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls

Results: (hand 1)

Seat 4: balance $264.5, lost $33.5 [ 4c 6s 3s 4s 9s 3h 2s ] [ a flush, nine high -- 9s,6s,4s,3s,2s ]
Seat 5: balance $247, bet $33.5, collected $83, net +$49.5 [ 8d 8h 8s 4h As 4d Kh ] [ a full house, Eights full of fours -- 8d,8h,8s,4h,4d ]

Results: (hand 2)

Seat 5: balance $289.5, bet $24.5, collected $67, net +$42.5 [ 6h 2c 5s 8c Tc 6c 5c ] [ a flush, ten high -- Tc,8c,6c,5c,2c ]
Hero: balance $79.5, lost $24.5 [ Ad 6s Ac 3s Qh 7s 3d ] [ two pairs, aces and threes -- Ad,Ac,Qh,3s,3d ]

Andy B
04-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Welcome aboard. First hand, I think you did well to raise on third street and just call when the 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif three-bets. He can hardly have pocket Aces. You are correct that his most likely hands are 888 or something along the lines of 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, but he could also have brain damage.

On fourth, I think you have to check and fold. If 84 doesn't have trips, he's probably got a four-card low with a gut-shot, and the other guy has caught very well as well. It's a small pot, and it's likely to get expensive. I don't think you can call two bets here. This is discussed in the Fourth Street section of Ray's book, p. 43 in my copy. You did well to fold on fifth, in my estimation.

The second hand you played well, in my opinion.

Wait a day or so before you give the results. Also, I suggest that in the future that you put only one hand in each thread.

djr
04-12-2005, 01:11 PM
well you got the expert advice, now here's some novice thoughts.

First hand. 3rd street seems right. You have to be a little worried of an 8 that completes then reraises an ace. On 4th, it's a must fold. you only have one live ace and are facing two possible low draws. The 8 either has a good straight draw or hidden trips (something strong), the other guy is showing some straight flush strength. If it had been the 2 of hearts I might call, but then again I suck.

second hand. streets 3-5 are standard from where I'm sitting. 6th street, I lean toward check/calling. It doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere, and it doesn't take much to beat a pair of aces. Seat 5 looks like a made low with a possible straight and/or flush draws, seat 3 seems like he has a pair of kings and hasn't improved yet but that easily changes on 7th street.

Aicirt
04-12-2005, 09:22 PM
The only additional thing that I might have done is in the second hand bet the Aces up on the river, but obviously this would have cost you an extra bet. I would bet it because your hand looks like the best low, although you represented split aces at the beginning of the hand, the fact that a K called an A raise on 3rd shows that he might not be the greatest stud 8 player around and throw in an extra bet with a hand like Ks up. I generally would not be too afraid of a flush with the other hand since he has a spade door, but that happens from time to time.

My question to other posters: Do you this hand for value here on the river? Why or why not. Andy liked your check on the river, so a check is probably correct. Just seems to me at first that a bet here wouldnt be all that bad.

Aicirt

Canucks5
04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The fold on 4th on the 1st hand seems pretty obvious now. At the time I completely missed what seat 4 was holding.