PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 in 10 Weeks - Week 3

Perseus
04-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Quest Week III

What a nice week for a quest! After getting the poop kicked out of me the last two weeks I was able to snap out of my break even streak and start making some money. I eventually made it to 2,700, and per the original plan I moved up to 3/6. So....

LEVEL 1 COMPLETED!

One thing this quest has shown me is that laying down goals is very beneficial to not only performance, but the desire to play a certain number of hands. I was so determined not to post another “didn’t play enough this week thread” thread that I actually got in many more hands than I anticipated, a little over 10k, and still found the time to hang out with friends, do schoolwork, and relax.

During the week there were some days that were hard, and I have journal entries from Wednesday and Thursday that read “I am getting ripped to [censored] shreds this is [censored] ridiculous I can’t wait to get out of this damn slump”. But I was able to weather the storm (which lasted over 15,000 hands), and eventually watched my big hands hold up for some nice gains. The long run really is the long run, and it’s a very long run, and it’s so easy when you’re down over 5,000 hands to go on tilt and blow your bankroll. This is one of the first times I’ve hit a down streak and didn’t take at least one shot at a higher level, and for that I am proud.

This week was also one of the first warm weeks State College, PA has seen in a very long time. I spent the entire weekend sitting on my roof with lots of friends, BBQing hamburgers, drinking beer, and watching the masters.

My Dell 9300 also finally came today and let me tell you, the machine is FREAKIN SWEET! I even realized that I would have to get a new flat panel because my current one only holds 1024x768 resolution, but I’m not even that mad. The screen on this sucker is so big I feel like I have two monitors anyway.

Last note, also found out today I got into grad school. Next fall I’ll be attending Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to obtain my secondary education teaching certificate. The plan is to teach high school English for the rest of my life, which has always been my dream job. The funny thing is that my major is Speech Communications and I had to use my persuasive speaking skills to convince the admissions director that a Speech Communications Major, not an English major, would be a better fit for the school system. I guess it worked.

Alright time to post some stats. I’m still uploading my PT hands from my old , crappy laptop to this new bad ass top-of-the-line machine, so I don’t have my records of hands played and BB/100 available. I will estimate and correct next week.

Level 1 - DONE
2/4
Total Hands: Around 13,000
BB/100: Around 1.5
Bonus/Rakeback: 500
Bankroll when finished: 2,800

Pace: Finished 7,000 hands ahead of schedule

3/6
Total Hands: 5,000
BB/100: 1.4
Bonus/Rakeback: 0
Current Bankroll 3,200

Perseus
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
For those of you who missed my earlier weeks and the details of the quest, they can be found here...

Quest (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=1989419 &fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

Week 1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=2023653&Foru m=f2&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=100&Main=2022935&Se arch=true&where=bodysub&Name=23437&daterange=1&new erval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= )

Week 2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=2075934&Foru m=f2&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=100&Main=2074861&Se arch=true&where=bodysub&Name=23437&daterange=1&new erval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= )

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Prelude008
04-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey,

Great job! Keep up the winning. I'll take a look at your other weeks when I find time :-) Also, congrats on your grad school acceptance and new computer. I envious :-) Mine just died after I added memory and a new video card to go with my new monitor. Now I am adding a proccessor and CPU which I hope cures it!

SA125
04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last note, also found out today I got into grad school. Next fall I’ll be attending Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to obtain my secondary education teaching certificate. The plan is to teach high school English for the rest of my life, which has always been my dream job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratualtions. It's great to see a young, smart guy who loves poker but also loves and respects a stable job too. I only say that because I've been wondering lately about what effect the poker boom will have on young kids and the traditional road of getting married, having a career, kids, etc.

Poker can provide a great income for some, and a lot of misery for many. The way the pros are out there with books, lessons, sites, etc tell you all you need to know about the luxury of having a steady income besides poker.

Hopefully you'll have the foundation to build a career and a family and still have enough money to play poker at levels that are enjoyable and meaningful. Good job. Good luck.

SoftcoreRevolt
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Awesome to see more 2+2ers from CT. I'm currently an undergrad at Uconn looking to get my masters after I graduate so I can teach as well.

Perseus
04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Check out Quinnipiac. They are actually paying my first year of school as I will be student-teaching as well. Very good deal for a great program

Perseus
04-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks,
I decided that it would be much easier to go to school, get my certificate, start teaching, THEN decide to play poker instead of playing poker and postponing my education.

As I mentioned, teaching is really my dream job. Plus I get summers off to fufill all my gambling needs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif