PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Thai Food

citanul
04-12-2005, 12:23 AM
I know there's a ton of Chicago people on this board. And I know that everyone likes thai food. Thus, people should get together and have Thai food together. I've got a favorite spot around my place (Wrigleyville) and another place not to far from here that got great reviews on all the Chicago city website things, that has a "secret untranslated" menu, that I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet. (The latter being not very Americanized.)

Additionally, the last attempt at a Chicago get together was incredibly weak. So I thought we should try again. I'd love to meet a few of you guys, and if NatetheGreat ever pokes his head around here, maybe we'll hear from him (though I doubt he comes around these parts).

So yeah, any thoughts, suggestions of places, or times, are cool. Anytime except during tomorrow's Cubs game is chill by me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul

citanul
04-12-2005, 10:35 AM
one bump, then i'll give up.

citanul

astroglide
04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
just order red curry with chicken

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just order red curry with chicken

[/ QUOTE ]

or yellow curry if you're a sissy.

citanul
04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
i order red curry with chicken often.

oh well. guess no one in chicago wants to meet up, and we meet the same and as the last proposed chicago meet up.

citanul

istewart
04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
This is where you need to be (http://www2.netdoor.com/~cowden/jordan/restaurant.html)

citanul
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
i'd go there too if people were interested. i haven't really heard very good things about it in relation to a lot of the other big named steak places, but i've also never been there, so i'll give it a shot. mostly i was inspired by the thai food discussion yesterday, the fact that there's good thai to be had around here, and that the last chicago get together got cancelled.

citanul

KaneKungFu123
04-12-2005, 12:50 PM
i gotta guess that the food costs ten times more and tastes ten times less good then it does here in thailand.

how about you order

sum tum sih bpo

w/

kaow neo

lap moo

w/ a glass of pepsi sih nam kang?

istewart
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd go there too if people were interested. i haven't really heard very good things about it in relation to a lot of the other big named steak places, but i've also never been there, so i'll give it a shot. mostly i was inspired by the thai food discussion yesterday, the fact that there's good thai to be had around here, and that the last chicago get together got cancelled.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

The food is alright but the ambience and store (at least when Jordan was still playing /images/graemlins/wink.gif) are wow.

citanul
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
i doubt it tastes "10 times less good." but i'm pretty sure it costs 10 times more ususally about 5 of 6 bucks for some noodles. we do import actual thai people to do the cooking and stuff, so you know, it's not like they don't know what they're doing.

i don't know what any of those things are, but maybe they are on the secret menu at the one place. i'm a big fan of pad woon sen also.

if you could translate your suggestions, that would be hot.

citanul

KJS
04-12-2005, 01:57 PM
I can help you translate that menu if you can get me a photo or something.

KJS

KJS
04-12-2005, 02:03 PM
sum tum sih bpo = Green Papaya Salad without Crab

kaow neo = Sticky Rice

lap moo = Laap is ground meat mixed with herbs, lime and chiles. Moo is pork, so this dish would be Pork Laap.

glass of pepsi sih nam kang = Pepsi without ice.

KJS

PS. Don't try to speak Thai using this kind of transliteration, because Thai is a tonal language and without any marks telling you what tone the words are, it is pretty worthless. No offense to the original poster implied.

Talex
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Siam Noodle is my favorite place in the city, but it's sort of a rathole. Fried dried beef is awesome.

-Tim

Mr. Zero
04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I used to get Noodles in the Pot all the time - I think it's on Halstead just north of Fullerton. Good stuff and pretty cheap.

eric5148
04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm not really into the Wrigleyville yuppie restaurant thing, but I'll do a Chicago 2+2 round of golf, if anyone's interested.

soundgarden4
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Thai Village on Division and Damen. Excellent food for a very cheap price, especially during lunch hours.

citanul
04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
people can be yuppies. coffee shops can be yuppy. fashion boutiques (of which there are too many within 3 blocks of me) can be yuppy.

thai restaurants, well, i just don't think so.

i do apologize for living too close to a ballpark for your tastes, but i'd still like to get together with some chicago people for food and beer or something. sadly(?) many thai places are byob.

siam is good stuff. noodles in the pot is good stuff. snail in hyde park is good. up here i like thai quik (i think that's the spelling), banana leaf, dulk walk is eh. there's a lot of em. if people want to do something else, we could do some less affordable stuff like steak or whathaveyou, assuming that you know, overpriced meat isn't too yuppy.

citanul
04-12-2005, 05:04 PM
thanks!

citanul
04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
so how many of you all are in chicago/interested in meeting up?

citanul

KJS
04-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Like golf is proletarian.

KJS

daryn
04-13-2005, 12:47 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Moo is pork

[/ QUOTE ]

they really messed this one up.

citanul
04-13-2005, 01:00 AM
yeah, i was looking for a clever way or writing that earlier, but decided against any of the varieties i came up with.

citanul

eric5148
04-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I didn't say golf wasn't yuppie, I didn't say I wasn't a yuppie, I said I don't like going to restaurants frequented by yuppies.

IronDragon1
04-13-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so how many of you all are in chicago/interested in meeting up?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

When school's over you could count me in as interested.

frank_iii
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Just saw this post, but have to throw my 2 cents in...

If you're in Chicago and love Thai food you have to try Arun's at least once. It's quite expensive ($75 for a 13-course degustation when I was there a few years ago) but it's considered to be one of the best Thai restaurants in the world.

citanul
04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
where/what school are you in?

citanul

citanul
04-13-2005, 04:05 PM
i've been meaning to go to arun's, but it's hard sometimes to find people interested in going out to expensive thai when there's all this cheap thai that's good around too.

citanul

7ontheline
04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Arun's is great. I proposed to my wife there! I would never go there to meet as a big group though - prohibitively expensive for the most part.