PDA

View Full Version : The West Wing

[censored]
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I seriously cannot stand all the characters on this show, yet I watch whenever I can.

I was hoping they would go with Alan Alda as President but it is pretty obvious it will be Jimmy Smits. I like him as well though.

andyfox
04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I thought it would be great it they went with Alda, so they'd have a Republican after the Democrat years. But at Alda's age, Smits' TVQ must be much higher.

I think it's the best-written show ever on TV.

[censored]
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I thought it would be great it they went with Alda, so they'd have a Republican after the Democrat years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my thoughts. They would have had more options story wise with a different polictical agenda but I think they were worried that a complete change of cast may alienate their audience.

As it stands now John and Leo are definently coming back. I would think the Donna - Josh story has more to tell as well. I'm not sure about the others. The new first lady is hot, which cool.

blindu
04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
wrong

arrested developement.
the office

Redmen62
04-11-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wrong

arrested developement.
the office

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the same class.

fluxrad
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Naw, I still think it's a tossup between Alda and Smits, plus they could still hire a couple of people back (like the new deputy Chief of Staff).

Either way, it's true. The West Wing is the best written show on TV.

gumpzilla
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Either way, it's true. The West Wing is the best written show on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on what your metric is. I've only watched one season (my roommate has the second season DVD set), but I always get the feeling the writers are trying a little too hard to educate me about various interesting statistics. That is, the dialogue feels a little stilted and unauthentic. I still like the show, though.

RustedCorpse
04-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I thought his other one, Sports Night or something was pretty good too, worth buying on DVD.

tj00
04-11-2005, 10:52 PM
This is the only show I watch every week. They need to regin in some of this over the top stuff (i.e. asteroids,Castro, military space shuttles). I think the election episodes are much better than the white house ones this season.

ucfryan
04-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I watched it for the first time ever last Wednesday I guess it was and thought it was spectacular.

BWebb
04-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Glad to see the show still has some support. Rented the first season on Netflix about a year ago and haven't been able to stop watching. By far the best written and acted show I've ever seen. I know one more season is coming, but after that who knows. I did read an article a while back interview Alda and it said he didn't want to be the main character. Who knows if that is still the case.

Matty
04-12-2005, 12:57 AM
I have the first 3 seasons on DVD. =]

MadTV did a pretty funny spoof of it ..

Donna!

citanul
04-12-2005, 01:00 AM
I think that it was the best written show on tv, and went sharply downhill when the original writing group left. They started doing far too much filling in the blanks for people who couldn't keep up with subtlety after the change, and it really made it feel like a different, and worse, show to me.

BWebb
04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that it was the best written show on tv, and went sharply downhill when the original writing group left. They started doing far too much filling in the blanks for people who couldn't keep up with subtlety after the change, and it really made it feel like a different, and worse, show to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the first 2 seasons were amazing television. It might have went downhill, but is still better than 99% of the crap that is on tv.

scrub
04-12-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I thought it would be great it they went with Alda, so they'd have a Republican after the Democrat years. But at Alda's age, Smits' TVQ must be much higher.

I think it's the best-written show ever on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has really fallen off in the past two seasons.

Scrubette is addicted to the early season DVDs.

scrub

youtalkfunny
04-12-2005, 03:27 AM
I quit watching when Sorkin (the creator/writer) left.

When I read the first few posts here, I wondered, "Best writing? Did Sorkin return, and no one told me?"

But now the answers are more qualified, "First few seasons were great..." I'll agree with that. I've never bought a season of anything on DVD, but if I ever do, I'll start with those early TWW years.