PDA

View Full Version : Im freaking on this college thing

jack spade23
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
I have narrowed it down to 2 schools. Im not asking anyone here where they would go, if you wanna say that, fine.

Wabash College and Loyola Marymount University

wabash will be less fun because i dont really like frats, and 70% of the guys are in a frat (all male school, other coed schools close by, so thats not a prob.) But i think it might be better for a job in the future. I want to major in accounting or business or possibly prelaw.
Loyola offers a way better town (job and interning opportunities) and weather than Wabash, which is in IN, plus the academics are fairly tough. It has way more students, and i went to a small high school so that may be a welcome change.

Thats whats running through my head at this time, and im wondering what people have to say to this question: Should I go with what could be better for me in the future, or should i go with might be SLIGHTLY easier but provides me with a more fun experience. I mean, im only this age once. My dad is a doctor and lost more than a decade to schooling. sure he may get paid more because of it, but is that really what life is about? Or is it not? Sorry for the rant, but I have to make my mind up soon and im sure lots of you know how much im worrying ill make the wrong decision

istewart
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Really small schools suck. Better town is +EV.

Chairman Wood
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But i think it might be better for a job in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where you went to college has a lot less meaning than you think. What truly is important in getting a job is what you did in college. Do make sure the college you chose has plenty of oppurtunities to get your name out there and stand out.

thatpfunk
04-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Loyola without question.

[censored]
04-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Bo Kimble! Loyola easy.

Corey
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
What the above post said. Loyola is not only in a much better town, it's also in a pretty awesome location for the greater LA area.

All my friends who ended up at a school in a "college town" loved it for the first couple of years, then realized they were missing out on greater life opportunities. Furthermore, neither a degree from Wabash nor Loyala will make a potential employeer take instantaneous notice. As long as you take advantage of the greater opportunities, interships will go a lot further.

jack spade23
04-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Chairman, you mean going to a liberal arts school? They are both that. As to those who said loyola, why is that? And what do you think about the last question?

thatpfunk
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
The college you graduate from will have little to no bearing on your ability to get a job.

Why Loyola? Small schools are no good. Girls are good. You'll grow a lot in a completely new environment.

DeezNuts
04-11-2005, 09:17 PM
My boss went to Loyola and hires a lot of LMU grads, I work in accounting/finance for Sony Pictures, which is pretty much down the street. It's right next to the beach and is(from what I hear) a very nice campus.

I moved from the midwest to LA when I was younger, so I have experienced both and can honestly say that the choice in terms of pretty much everything is LMU.

DN

Chairman Wood
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chairman, you mean going to a liberal arts school? They are both that. As to those who said loyola, why is that? And what do you think about the last question?

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of people will spill off on how school A is so much better and prestigious tnan school B. It may be the case, but what is important in college for getting a job is the stuff you do while you are there. Work for a professor, start a club/organization associated with whatever line of work you want to go into, etc. Get creative. I was just saying that make sure that the school you choose has paths you can take so you can get involved. I was big into science (physics), my school has this thing called UROP (Undergraduated Research Oppurtunity Program) where you are immediately thrown in with a professor and start work your freshman year. Doing that kind of stuff is so much more important than where your degree came from. Just make sure the school has those things available that you would like.

jack spade23
04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
thanks people, good advice. just curious, where did anyone here go to college?

istewart
04-11-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The college you graduate from will have little to no bearing on your ability to get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

False...

Corey
04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks people, good advice. just curious, where did anyone here go to college?

[/ QUOTE ]

400 Post Thread about this subject (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=968469&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all&vc=1)

SackUp
04-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I would definitely say Loyola given the location if nothing else. Then again I'm a SoCal native and don't think I could ever leave. I think you will have a lot more long term opportunities if you go to school in CA, especially if you want to stay in CA.

I would visit both schools and honestly go with the one the "feels" best. College will be fun wherever you go if you want it to be, but I would think even more so in CA.

Also you should be fine as far as opportunities go with Loyola. It is a solid enough school.

BTW I went to Pomona College of the Claremont colleges. It's a small liberal arts school and it was amazing!

thatpfunk
04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

False...

[/ QUOTE ]

In his case, very true. As it is true for ~95% of the colleges in the US.

jack spade23
04-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Whooops, sorry Corey. I hate when i do that.

Clarkmeister
04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Loyola without question.

[/ QUOTE ]

FishBurger
04-11-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, im only this age once. My dad is a doctor and lost more than a decade to schooling. sure he may get paid more because of it, but is that really what life is about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm coming up on my 10th year of schooling post high school. None of those years have been "lost." Like you, I was pretty apprehensive before I started college, but I soon found out how awesome it could be. There's tons of hot chicks around, you have way more freedom than you had in high school, and you get to pick a major and study something that interests you. Your college years will prolly be some of the best of your life.

As for schools, I personally would go to the bigger school, but just pick the one where you feel most comfortable. Good luck.

TimM
04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wabash will be less fun because i dont really like frats, and 70% of the guys are in a frat (all male school, other coed schools close by, so thats not a prob.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with the other school.

I went to an engineering school. It wasn't all male but it was damn close, and even more so in my major. Plus I commuted, so there really was no campus life at all, and I kinda felt I missed out on that.

Popinjay
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I very well might be going to LMU next year as well. PM me if you might want to be roommates or something

jack spade23
04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Didn't mean to snub the person who is in the 10th year of schooling (sorry dont feel like going back and looking you up) i jsut mean that all of my dad's friends say he didn;t have a lot of fun in college. I guess the success afterwards is rewarding in itself though. As for you, popinjay, i hope to meet you at the school sometime next year, maybe get a little trip to Vegas for the LMU poker players /images/graemlins/wink.gif. of course, we'll need fake ids.......

GrekeHaus
04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
My advice to you is to go whereever you think will make you happiest. It's four years of your life that you'll never get back. I went to Carleton and it was a time in my life I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

You will have lots of opportunities wherever you go and it's up to you what you do with them. If you think you will go to grad school, this is even more true. Once you're in grad school, employers will care a lot more about what you did there than where you actually went.

DeezNuts
04-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I replied earlier advocating LMU. I went to Cal c/o '99 and it was a tough adjustment even from LA(I grew up in Claremont, home of the Claremont colleges), but I grew to really like it. Berkeley is just a world unlike any other and I returned to LA after graduation and have been living in metro LA ever since.

From what I hear, the alumni at LMU are pretty strong(unike state schools, in general) and I doubt you will have trouble finding a job in LA, summer or career-wise. LMU is also a stone's throw away from the beach and LA is one of the greatest places in the world to live, IMO.

DN

beta1607
04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Where you went to college has a lot of meaning. Many financial/accounting firms only go to certain schools career days and will not hire out of many schools. Graduate/professional schools are very interested in where you went to undergrad. 4.0 GPA from small school nobody knows is less favorable then a 3.5 from a recognized University.

gamblore99
04-12-2005, 12:21 AM
I haven't read the decision, but if it is so even, then just flip a coin.

fimbulwinter
04-12-2005, 03:04 AM
LMU is not where you want to be. the other is better, whatever it is.

fim

thatpfunk
04-12-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

LMU is not where you want to be. the other is better, whatever it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

A small all mens college in Indiana? Are you smoking that good-[censored] again?

nothumb
04-12-2005, 03:24 AM
You're not The Dude, but...

You're being very un-Dude here.

California will fall into the ocean... go to Indiana and bring some guns.

NT

The Yugoslavian
04-12-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice to you is to go whereever you think will make you happiest. It's four years of your life that you'll never get back. I went to Carleton and it was a time in my life I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Instead of those, why don't you go to a good school?

turnipmonster
04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jack spade23
04-12-2005, 12:10 PM
fimbul, why is lmu so bad?

gvibes
04-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Out of curiosity, why no state schools in the mix? The price is always right.

What state are you from?

jack spade23
04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Im from Indiana, and I don't want to go to a school that is more like a city. Ill definelty get lost in the shuffle at IU.

Dominic
04-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Whick LMU are you considering? Chicago or L.A.??

I got my Masters at LMU L.A. - if you have a chance to go to college in Los Angeles - take it.

jack spade23
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
L.A. also it is near my grandmother (long beach) who is getting up there in years. I dont want that to affect a big decision like this, but i cant help it.

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
L.A. also it is near my grandmother (long beach) who is getting up there in years. I dont want that to affect a big decision like this, but i cant help it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's a perfectly legitimate thing to affect your decision.

Ulysses
04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
LMU.

jack spade23
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
sorry i was in class, didn't get to check for a while. Im honored that el diablo has answered my lowly post. Imagine when i tell my parents where i want to go and my reason is "this forum i belong to had a ton of members encouraging me to go to lmu"