PDA

View Full Version : Thai Food - advice quick please! :)

Brian
04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I've never had Thai food before. I'm thinking about going to a Thai restaurant in a few minutes and have absolutely no idea what to order. Here is the types of foods I like to eat:

Pizza
Burgers
Chicken Fingers
Just about any type of potato - soup, fries, baked potato, etc.
Shrimp

I go to Chinese buffets occasionally and like the honey chicken, general tsao's chicken, etc. and shrimp, but that's about it. Don't really like EggRolls other than the type you find at your typical American restaurant.

Should I not bother going at all? Thanks,

-Brian

astroglide
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
red curry with chicken, there is no other option

GoblinMason (Craig)
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
pahd thai.

bd8802
04-11-2005, 06:27 PM
panang

actually any curry or pad thai (if you like noodles) will be a good start.

bogey
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
yeh you cant wrong with any curry, get red if you like it a little spicy, yellow with potatoes is also good if you dont like spicy so much

asb165
04-11-2005, 07:08 PM
You could get Pad Priaw Warn, which is like a sweet and sour chicken.

Ulysses
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Shrimp Pad Thai
Yellow Coconut Chicken Curry (Gang Gari Gai)
Fried Spring Rolls

Those are probably the things you'd like best.

Ulysses
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude likes stuff that is fried and sweet. My choices are better for him.

astroglide
04-11-2005, 07:45 PM
you must not have read the part about no other option

partygirluk
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Masimann has potatoes in it. Go for a chicken masimann.

partygirluk
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh, and if you can get anything with Thai Sweet Chilli dip you should definitely go for it.

toss
04-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Papaya Salad and ask for it extra spicy.

GuyOnTilt
04-11-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curry Panang with chicken is yummier. For a noodle dish, Pad See Ew with beef or chicken (beef is better) is far, far, far better than the more popular and less yummier Pad Thai with chicken and/or shrimp.

GoT

Chairman Wood
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I see there are a lot of pad thai suggestions. I encourage you to add sugar to it when you try it. When ever I have gotten it in the US, no one suggests or gives you a packet of sugar on the side. In thailand, whenever you order it they give you some sugar on the side. It is suprisingly delicious!

The Dude
04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Panang is my favorite curry, although lately green curry has been my curry of choice. Shrimp Pad Thai is a good place to start, even though I like Pad Se Ew more, Pad Thai is more universally liked.

Pineapple Fried Rice might be another thing for you to try. Ooh, I love Thai food.

tbach24
04-11-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shrimp Pad Thai
Fried Spring Rolls

[/ QUOTE ]

These are my favorites /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ianco15
04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Thai is the best food you will ever eat. If you find a good thai place you're in heaven. Order the chicken satay and the pad thai. Also get extra peanut sauce. Put peanut sauce on everything. Get some rice and put peanut sauce on that too.

TStoneMBD
04-11-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thai is the best food you will ever eat. If you find a good thai place you're in heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

thai food is amazing. its fresh stuff. very healthy and delicious. god damn im hungry.

Ianco15
04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I can never seem to find really good peanut sauce outside of restruants and that is the best part of Thai food IMO. If anyone knows where I can buy some peanut sauce for home use please, please let me know. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SackUp
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can never seem to find really good peanut sauce outside of restruants and that is the best part of Thai food IMO. If anyone knows where I can buy some peanut sauce for home use please, please let me know. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Trader Joe's. They have a pretty solid peanut sauce there.

Ya, Thai food is delicious. Lots of curries are good. I'm a huge fan of the Pad Thai like so many others have said.

BeerMoney
04-11-2005, 09:51 PM
As already stated, panang curry is delicious, it is my favorite. The place around here does it well with pork, chicken is good too.

Also, I highly recommend Tom Kha Gai. It is a really nice tasting soup based in coconut milk.

Ianco15
04-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the recomendation. Trader Joes is a great store.

LazyRobot
04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As already stated, panang curry is delicious, it is my favorite. The place around here does it well with pork, chicken is good too.

Also, I highly recommend Tom Kha Gai. It is a really nice tasting soup based in coconut milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the exact same thing. Panang for teh win.

GuyOnTilt
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
One more thing about eating great Thai food: it is not named Pad Thai. Despite how seemingly everybody in this entire country loves this dish, it really isn't good compared to the other Thai noodles. It's the most Americanized and as a result the most popular, but definitely not the best.

Pad Thai : Thai Food :: Fettucini Alfredo : Italian Food.

They're both find to order if you don't have a lot of experience with Thai or Italian, but if you want to try real Thai or Italian food, you're going to want to order something else.

GoT

TimM
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not Google for a recipe and learn to make your own? It would have to be better than some store bought crap with all kinds of preservatives and [censored].

Ulysses
04-11-2005, 10:57 PM
You should ignore GoT's posts. Most of the other ones do a good job addressing your excellent post.

astroglide
04-11-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yummier

[/ QUOTE ]

what a faygelah

GuyOnTilt
04-11-2005, 11:43 PM
This is now the official hate on GoT thread. Carry on.

GoT

astroglide
04-11-2005, 11:46 PM
what other kinds of yummy foodsies would you suggest we put in our tum-tums?

SomethingClever
04-11-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never had Thai food before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Try Pad Thai or Pad See Eew.

Pad See Eew is the stone cold nuts.

Ulysses
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
So did you get Thai?

InchoateHand
04-12-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shrimp Pad Thai
Fried Spring Rolls

[/ QUOTE ]

We seem to keep agreeing in the food threads, El D (see Houston food and BBQ threads). I love those coconut milk curry dishes. But I usually go for the hotter curry. Actually, I usually get this same dish whether I'm at an Indian or Vietnamese restaurant as well. Except they have different names for it.

benfranklin
04-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I am shocked that all this discussion of Thai food did not mention Singha, the great Thai beer. Don't eat Thai food without it.

For future reference, especially for someone new to Thai food, Gai Yang or Kai Yang (two of many possible English spellings) is Thai barbecued chicken. It is great.

Brian
04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks all for the advice. If I ever wind up eating some Thai food, I'll be sure to try something that you guys suggest. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
In the end, I wound up going to PF Chang's, a chinese restaurant I've heard a lot about both here on 2+2 and from friends and family in Memphis. This is what my girlfriend and I wound up ordering:

Appetizers:

Seared Ahi Tuna
Harvest Spring Rolls

These choices were mistakes to say the least. I wanted some Crab Wontons, Shrimp Dumplings, or Spare Ribs, but Renee insisted we try the Spring Rolls that she had heard so much about, and none of the other choices sounded good to her. When they brought the Tuna out, she got nauseated and immediately shoved it to the other side of the table. I wound up eating a few pieces of it, but that was all my stomach could handle. And the main reason I was able to eat it was that I drowned the taste in the spicy mustard. We brought the leftovers home to my parents, and the Ahi Tuna was the only thing I have ever seen my dad refuse to eat.

As for the Spring Rolls, she took one bite and that was it. I only managed to do a little better, again using a "taste-drowning" technique with the sweet and sour sauce.

Entrees:

Crispy Honey Chicken (me)
P.F. Chang's Fried Rice Shrimp (Renee)

I've never met a piece of honey chicken I didn't like, so I cleaned my plate; however, it was far from the best Honey Chicken I've ever had (which, surprisingly, was at the Horseshoe in Tunica), and the amount I got was quite unsatisfying for a 6'4" 260 guy. I got some brown rice on the side, but I'm not much of a rice guy. Some french fries would have been much better received. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Renee usually likes shrimp fried rice, but she didn't like hers very much tonight. She said that there was a piece of chicken in hers that was very good, and that she would've been much better off with their chicken fried rice. Ah well.

Overall, the dining atmosphere was very pleasant and Renee especially enjoyed going somewhere other than our usual American restaurants. But, I think this will be the last time we visit PF Chang's. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I told Renee afterwards that I was thinking about taking her to a local Thai restaurant that is very highly rated on www.citysearch.com (http://www.citysearch.com), but apparently after 3 years I wasn't aware that she hates thai food. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thanks again all for the advice, I know that I can always rely on the taste buds of OOT,

-Brian

KaneKungFu123
04-12-2005, 05:13 PM
the 30 baht pad thai between soi 12 and soi 14, on sukhumwit road is pretty damn good.

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing about eating great Thai food: it is not named Pad Thai. Despite how seemingly everybody in this entire country loves this dish, it really isn't good compared to the other Thai noodles. It's the most Americanized and as a result the most popular, but definitely not the best.

They're both find to order if you don't have a lot of experience with Thai or Italian, but if you want to try real Thai or Italian food, you're going to want to order something else.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
04-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I believe the kids would say "pwnt" right about now.

[ QUOTE ]
the 30 baht pad thai between soi 12 and soi 14, on sukhumwit road is pretty damn good.

[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SomethingClever
04-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Brian... while I applaud you for venturing out and trying new things... you and your girlfriend clearly need to do this more often.

Seared Ahi tuna is not so exotic that it should make one's stomach turn. Now, if the tuna was bad or something... understandable. But normally... it should be pretty tame.

Combine that with the fact that you've never so much as tried Thai food, and I can't imagine the kinds of other things you're missing out on.

Get out there, expose yourself to all the weird [censored] the world has to offer. You'll thank me for it later.

Sifmole
04-13-2005, 12:09 AM
Chicken and fresh basil -- Pa(?) Gra Prow.

The best, but usually quite spicy. Has lots of chilies in it.

jesusarenque
04-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Thai good. You like shirt?