PDA

View Full Version : The bet that I forget - Damn

Zeno
10-29-2002, 04:14 PM
As I was lounging in the sports book at Ceasers Palace smoking a cigar, drinking Jack Daniels, placing bets on Greyhounds scooting around some backyard track down in Florida, and watching the Angels smack the Giants down for the second time in two days, everthing was perfect. Except for the $100 bet on the Angels that I somehow forget to place on game seven. Missed bets. Almost as ugly in sports as in Poker.

When the giants needed Bonds the most - he did the least.

-Zeno.

P.S. For anyone that cares about such things, the Flamingo Hilton has favorable rules at blackjack and is also offering surrender.

HDPM
10-29-2002, 04:40 PM
As I was lounging in the sports book at Ceasers Palace smoking a cigar, drinking Jack Daniels, placing bets on Greyhounds scooting around some backyard track down in
Florida, and watching the Angels smack the Giants down for the second time in two days, everthing was perfect.

Whatta country, eh?

Bill Murphy
10-29-2002, 08:46 PM
He didn't blow that 5-0 lead in the bottom of the 7th, nor fail to get past 4 in two starts. Also, no one was on base for any of his at-bats Sun. Jeff Kent's only good game[offense] was the blowout, after it was already decided. Santiago hit into at least three double plays, etc.

I don't like him, but I sure wish Karl Malone had played as well as Bonds in his trips to the finals. I admit Bonds ain't much of a fielder at this stage.

I spaced a $50 bet for a friend once, woulda got $150 back. He was ok about it; I wasn't exactly having a good day when he called me to place it. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Bill Murphy
10-29-2002, 08:57 PM
[shouldn't've got me started] WTF did Baker pinch hit for Sanders in the 6th, 2nd-3rd two outs? Tom Goodwin?? Never seen three weaker at-bats than him in Games 6 & 7.

Sanders had the Giants only RBI in 7. SF P-hitters were 0-15 in the playoffs. Sometimes you gotta throw the percentages and 'tendencies' out the window and go w/the best player you got.

Man, that pissed me off. Guy was hitless the whole postseason, has no power, & probably makes 1/10 what Sanders does. Yeah, Sanders ain't exactly Bonds, or even Kent, but still, he was warm and was the best available player in that spot. Prolly wouldn't've mattered, and shouldn't've come down to that, but give yourself a chance; they were down 3 runs, not one.

Who was the last WSOB p-hitter to come thru big, Bernie Freaking Carbo?? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Zeno
10-30-2002, 12:30 AM
I guess I exposed a raw nerve. Dusty Baker did not do a very good job managing in key situations. When they missed the opportunity to score in the 6th that was the wooden spike through the Giant's heart. And you are right, it was not Bond's "fault" that the series went to the Angels. I personally almost swallowed the cigar I was puffing on when it was announced that Goodwin was going to pinch hit. It remined me of the title of an old W.C. Fields film call: It's a Gift!

-Zeno

Zeno
10-30-2002, 12:35 AM
We have problems like everyone else and I'm one of the more cynical but, yes; I have to agree - We have our moments and they are great.

-Zeno

HDPM
10-30-2002, 12:58 AM
"Who was the last WSOB..."

This is a classic line, whatta dis! All the foreigners complaining that it isn't really a WORLD Series could not have made their case any better. WSOP didn't pay for that did they? LOL. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

M2d
10-30-2002, 02:32 AM
Jim Leyritz (sp?)?

M2d
10-30-2002, 02:33 AM
any foreign team that want to contest the title should step right up. The D-Rays would probably kick their butts

Bill Murphy
10-30-2002, 10:26 PM