PDA

View Full Version : $10+1: Another early level KK hand

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t900)
MP1 (t830)
MP2 (t655)
MP3 (t775)
CO (t755)
Button (t1170)
SB (t820)
BB (t740)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t555)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t60, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t195) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, MP1 calls t100, SB calls t100.

Turn: (t495) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???

Against one villain I'm more likely to pull the trigger on this turn, but I hesitate against two, especially with the SB who was able to take ~3 to 1 on the flop (even though he's OOP, I can see a 7|J calling this a lot).

1) Bet more pre-flop? I've settled on 4xBB as my standard Level 1 open-raise, a convert from 3xBB.

2) Should I have bet more on the flop? I'm thinking "scale the flop bet according to the number of villains, depending on the texture." Thus I might have bet more but the rainbow flop nukes any flush draws, so I felt there were less scare cards in the deck.

3) Check/fold the turn? Or fire away? This early in the game, I think I can predict nothing about the villains' ranges based on the pre-flop calls.

pokerlaw
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I like the preflop bet. I would have bet more on the flop to scare off any st8 draws - probably the pot. With that said, if someone has you beat right now, they almost definetly had you beat on the flop (JQ scares me a lot more than J7 btw). I would check here to see how the hand unfolds, as the calls on the flop didnt really tell you that much and the risk of a st8, a set, or two pair is definetly possible.

However, you probably have the best hand, so a 2/3rd pot size bet to scare off the drawers isn't that bad of a move - I would just prefer to do that in a Pokerstars or UB game, since w t1500 to start, a loss doesn't cripple you as much.

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(JQ scares me a lot more than J7 btw

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean a J or a 7, not "J7." /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would check here to see how the hand unfolds, as the calls on the flop didnt really tell you that much and the risk of a st8, a set, or two pair is definetly possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine JT-AT calling here as well as a straight draw. Not very worried about two pair specifically, but I did check/fold here because I didn't want to get into a guessing game this early.

I may have bet again if there were only one flop caller but my defense of that play is hand-waving at best.

[ QUOTE ]
However, you probably have the best hand, so a 2/3rd pot size bet to scare off the drawers isn't that bad of a move - I would just prefer to do that in a Pokerstars or UB game, since w t1500 to start, a loss doesn't cripple you as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean on the flop or the turn?

halis123456789
04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Pre-Flop: No problem with this raise, at this point you want money in the pot. At an aggressive table I would just raise 2xBB hoping to get re-raised. At a tight table, your raise works.

On the flop: You have three cards to a straight, and it is NOT pretty for your hand. Trips might have you beat already, slightly less of a chance is two pair, then you could have any number of hands that MADE the straight, and any number of hands drawing to it.

Check the flop, see what happens. If someone overbets the pot, it's theirs. If someone bets the pot, maybe call, you have to know your man. If it checks around great! When the 6 comes off check and get ready to fold any big action. Same on the river. Only call small action if you think (based on your opponents play) you have the best hand. Don't call big action, however, as this tragic flop dictates a small pot (for you) or not at all.

pokerlaw
04-11-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean on the flop or the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant the turn, but like i said, I would probably not do this on Party. UB and stars allow for these kind of bets with their format.