PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Report, Lucky Chances $100 rebuy (long & full of bad beats)

SossMan
04-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Tourney Report
Lucky Chances $100+25 w/ one $100 rebuy
NL Hold’em
Start with t1000
Rebuy is t1500

I rebuy right away and start with t2500.

Blinds start at 25/25 and go up every 20 min.

First hand of the day, it gets folded to me in the CO and I raise to t75 w/ KTo. Local regular (semi-tricky) calls on the button. SB calls, BB folds.

Flop is ATx with two hearts.
SB checks, I bet t75, button makes it t250, sb calls, I fold.
Button ends up pushing on the turn with 6h8h and gets called by AJo and misses his flush.
First hand and SB doubles.
I only mention this because he is the only stack at the table that I can double off of (or, for the ‘glass is half empty folks’, the only guy that can cripple me).

I mostly fold a bunch of unplayable hands for the most of round 1.

Last hand of round 1.

I have about 2500. Older lady (t1200) who is too loose and likes to try to use her little old lady image to steal pots preflop, but plays like a fish postflop (checking too much, calling too much, not raising enough) raises to t75 utg. This can mean anything from AA to what a fish would think is a monster (as bad as something like A9s) but she wouldn’t realize that she’s stealing…you know the type.
I have QQ on the button. I have made a few moves over limpers on the button in round 1 to keep my stack at the starting level. I make it t225 to go. BB (sb from hand 1) with about 2300 calls. This is probably some relatively good but not great hand (KQ, AQ, 77-JJ). Little old lady calls.

Pot is t700
Flop is 2 3 3 rainbow
SB bets out 600. old lady folds.

He has 1475 left and the pot is 1300.
If I pushed, he would be getting a little less than 2:1.
What did his bet mean? Almost certainly a 88-JJ. I don’t think he bets into me with AQ or KQ. If he made a little move with an overcard, he has 3 outs. It is much more likely that he has a medium pair.
I decide that he’s not sufficiently committed yet, so I just call.
This makes the pot 1900 and any bet by him on the turn should tie him to the pot.

Turn is another 3. That was nice.
He bets out another t600, and I push, and he instacalls w/ TT.
Of course, he hits at te…..j/k river blanks out and I just about double.

I think I could have pushed on the turn. If the turn comes face or ace, I may not get his action.

So, I am now chip leader for a while, but decide to stay relatively conservative (for me, that is). We are at table 4, so we will be together for awhile, and I wanted to try to maintain the solid image until the ante stages when the blinds become important.

In round 3 (50-100), it gets folded to me on the button w/ ATo. I raise 3x and steal the blinds.
Next hand gets folded to me in the CO and I raise 3x w/AJs. Blinds fold.
Next hand, one MP limper (loose), and I make it 4x w/ AQs. He calls, I check it down to the river with him and my Ace high is good.
Next hand I get AA in MP and make a 4x open raise. Local pro from hand 1 pushes his remaining t1000, (I have about 4k at this point), BB calls, I push and BB folds. I am up against 4h5h. He’s drawing dead on the turn on a Ax33 board.

A few rounds later, I am on the cutoff w/ AhKh.
Tight player raises from MP to t300. I look left, and the button/blinds look uninterested, so I call. Only BB calls.
Pot = 950.
MP has about 2500. I can’t remember him raising preflop all day. He has won only one or two pots by flopping a set v. top pair all in on the flop. I haven’t played with him before.
BB likes to call preflop.

Flop is Ks Jd 6h
SB checks, MP checks, I bet 600, sb folds, MP pushes for another 1600.
I’m getting (950+600+2200) 3750:1600. About 2.25:1 on my call.
But I get this feeling. Now the regulars on here know that I’m not one to play by feel, I’m more of a math guy, but I really couldn’t see a hand here that he does this with against me. I still have a solid image. He hasn’t been out of line all day. I don’t think he’s the type to play KQ like that. He played his set fast last time, so I’m not discounting KK, although unlikely. I have his squarely on AA or JJ with a possibility of AK.
With the blinds going up, I really want to keep my chip lead, and my stack is still in tact going into the first break if I fold, so I fold.
He shows AA and I jump for joy. I call there most of the time, and I’m still not sure it was the right play, but it worked out that time.

So I go into the break with about 5700. I am second at the table in chips and in a good spot so far. I still have a very tight image, and the blinds and antes are about to get important…time to go into agro mode.

Blinds are at the 75/150 w/ t25 ante level.
I am in the BB w/ 78o. LMP player who is the other big stack and who likes to min-raise, min-raises to open the pot. He doesn’t protect his raises postflop, so I decide to use my image and I call. BB calls.
Flop is 5d 4h Ad. I don’t have a diamond.
He leads out for t300. I raise it to 900. He thinks a bit and calls.
Turn is a black 2. He quickly checks, and I decide check behind and pray for a 6 or a diamond.
River is the nearly perfect 3d. He checks and as he thinks I am about to check, he almost turns his hand over as I am saying ‘all in’. He looks at me surprised and says ‘all in?’ I say ‘yup’.

He thinks for about a long time before showing his ace and folding and I take a big pot.

I then steal a few more by limping in LP and betting when checked to me. I pick off a medium sized stack when he raises all in on the button and I pick up AK in the BB. He had A8 and I held up. I have a nice stack of around 15k when we are broken up and moved to table 1.

I get the 8 seat. To my left is a guy that was moved to our other table earlier. He has been jabbering about how weak he plays on the bubble, so I figure I got a good seat. He was talking about how he doesn’t want to tangle preflop with anyone who has him covered. I thought I would use this info. At table 1, seat 7, to my right is a 2+2er, Bosco. Good aggressive player who has been nursing a short stack and caught a few river cards to stay alive. First few hands, I have 12k with the blinds at 400-800, 100 ante. Folded to Bosco in MP who pushes his 6k. I push behind him w/ black JJ. Folded around.
He has 4d4c.
Flop is safe, but has two diamonds. Runner runner diamonds to make his one card diamond flush and he doubles and I am down to under 10x.
We are down to about 20 players w/ top 10 making the money.
A few hands later, I open push from SB w/ A5s and all fold.
Next hand I get the same two cards and open push again from the button and blinds fold.
All of a sudden, I’m back up to almost 10k.
A few hands later, I pick up QQ.
MP with a stack my size opens for a minraise (he’s the minraiser that I bluffed last table).
I push w/ QQ, CO with about 6k calls and opener calls.
They have AQ and 99 and my hand holds up for a big nearly triple up.
I am now safe for the bubble.
I try to get aggressive, but the few times I try, someone behind me picks up a hand and pushes me off it or calls and I whiff the flop.
The bubble bursts and we get to the final table.
I have a medium stack of about 30k heading into the final. I push when folded to me in the SB w/ A3, BB folds. That’s the only hand I play because there are like 3 stacks that are about to bust, but they keep hitting rivers to stay alive. Finally one of the big stacks busts (with the shortest stack about to be all in for less than the BB!!) when he decides to try to bluff the massive chip leader of 56o on a 569 board w/ 67o. Chip leader wins, and shortstack busts out next hand and we are down to 8. One more SS finally busts.
By this time, I have been ground down to 3xBB. I look for a spot, but don’t get any chances to either open or call all in without a crappy hand.
I am down to 1.5BB, and call a raise in the dark on my BB. Raiser had AK and I flipped over Q6…live cards.
Q high flop got me excited until the K hit the turn and no 5-outer for this shortstack and I bust out 7th out of 125 players for a payout of about $1100. Meh.

Total top heavy payout structure, too. 22k was total prize pool, and first was 8k and 2nd was 4.5k.

All in all, I think I played as well as I have ever played and plan on dominating more next week.

Thanks to smoothcall / vince lepore / tek / wpt forum for all your insight. I know I couldn’t have done it without you.

-Vince

Mez
04-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Haven't read yet, laughing too hard at your avatar and location

MLG
04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Well done sir.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, he hits at te…..j/k river blanks out and I just about double.

I think I could have pushed on the turn. If the turn comes face or ace, I may not get his action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a push on the flop is better here. You really think he can get of 77/88 if he's a bad player? I think the chances of him folding are probably worse than the chances of a bad card for him hitting on the turn and you losing action.

Great lay down with the AK. Sometimes you can in fact put a straighforward player on a very very small range.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah...just noticed that i mistyped. that should have read...'i could have pushed the flop'.

I think that he might get off 77-88 there and certainly AK. That leaves me with 99-JJ to get paid. I smell a math problem....

nolanfan34
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folded to Bosco in MP who pushes his 6k. I push behind him w/ black JJ. Folded around.
He has 4d4c.
Flop is safe, but has two diamonds. Runner runner diamonds to make his one card diamond flush and he doubles and I am down to under 10x.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, where is the Bad Beat Police when you need them?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to smoothcall / vince lepore / tek / wpt forum for all your insight. I know I couldn’t have done it without you.

-Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

MLG
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Math!? Who needs math, mr. "I sensed he had a big hand."

Ok, so there are 18 hands that pay you and 16 hands (AK) that don't. Of the other 12 hands, lets say they pay off 1/3 the time (conservatively). So, if you push the the flop there are 22 hands that call and 24 that fold. Ok, I don't have the pot size numbers in front of me, so somebody else do that step.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Math!? Who needs math, mr. "I sensed he had a big hand."

Ok, so there are 18 hands that pay you and 16 hands (AK) that don't. Of the other 12 hands, lets say they pay off 1/3 the time (conservatively). So, if you push the the flop there are 22 hands that call and 24 that fold. Ok, I don't have the pot size numbers in front of me, so somebody else do that step.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> " </font> so [censored] half-assed <font color="white"> "</font>

MLG
04-11-2005, 05:57 PM
fine, here we go with cheek 2.

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is t700
Flop is 2 3 3 rainbow
SB bets out 600. old lady folds.

He has 1475 left and the pot is 1300.
If I pushed, he would be getting a little less than 2:1.
What did his bet mean? Almost certainly a 88-JJ. I don’t think he bets into me with AQ or KQ. If he made a little move with an overcard, he has 3 outs. It is much more likely that he has a medium pair.
I decide that he’s not sufficiently committed yet, so I just call.
This makes the pot 1900 and any bet by him on the turn should tie him to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

22/46 times you win .9*(700+600+600+1495+1495)=2105
24/46 times you win (700+600+600+1495)=1771

So pushing now nets you 3876. So far are we agreed? Also I we need to figure out some assumptions about the turn, as its gonna get complicated.

Also, I assumed you guys had exactly equal stacks.

DVC Calif
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Flop is 5d 4h Ad. I don’t have a diamond.
He leads out for t300. I raise it to 900. He thinks a bit and calls.
Turn is a black 2. He quickly checks, and I decide check behind and pray for a 6 or a diamond.
River is the nearly perfect 3d. He checks and as he thinks I am about to check, he almost turns his hand over as I am saying ‘all in’. He looks at me surprised and says ‘all in?’ I say ‘yup’.

He thinks for about a long time before showing his ace and folding and I take a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I may only play online. I could never hold a straight face after bluffing out villain from what would have been a split pot.

Well done on building that tight table image.

sloth469
04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

-Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't do anything like this that may make them come over here.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 06:13 PM
whoops....i just noticed that there was a wheel. the turn must have not been a duece. It wasn't an overcard, though. It must have paired the 4 or something.
just to clarify, there was no wheel on the board.

woodguy
04-11-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say ‘yup’.

[/ QUOTE ]

nihan sir.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect.

Regards,
Woodguy

DVC Calif
04-11-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whoops....i just noticed that there was a wheel. the turn must have not been a duece. It wasn't an overcard, though. It must have paired the 4 or something.
just to clarify, there was no wheel on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh - I liked the wheel story better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bluffing out weak-tight villain is pretty standard. Nice plan of attack PF. I don't think you even needed to look at your cards for this one.

Prime Time
04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
congrats on your final table.
Enjoyed your report.
You can't allow your self to be blinded off to 3XBB.
In fact, soon as you hit around 10, you have to pick a spot quick, or there will be very little chance for the top prizes, where the real cash is.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats on your final table.
Enjoyed your report.
You can't allow your self to be blinded off to 3XBB.
In fact, soon as you hit around 10, you have to pick a spot quick, or there will be very little chance for the top prizes, where the real cash is.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, trust me, i tried. there really weren't any situations that presented themselves....believe me, I was looking for anything.

Roman
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
nice post, great read. No way you should be blinded from ~25 BB to 3.... Resteal, do something....

SossMan
04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice post, great read. No way you should be blinded from ~25 BB to 3.... Resteal, do something....

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasn't.
I had ~25bb.
blinds doubled...voila, i had about 12bb.
AK v. AK hand that I lost made it about 6bb.
blinded from 6 to 3'ish.
all in in the blind.

Roman
04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif didnt write about the AK hand.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
totally forgot about the hand that got me in bad shape at the final table. i have about 20k and someone pushes from EP w/ 10k (blinds were 1200-2400 w/ 400 ante). I push in LP w/ AKo. all others fold. He flip AKo.
Flop has two clubs. He has the Kc. Turn club, river club.
i would call the BBP, but we are one in the same, so I get a free pass.

MLG
04-11-2005, 10:21 PM
funny, same thing just happened to me, the exact same thing although it wasnt at the final table. so please, call her on me, i havent seen her in a while and it would be a sight for sore eyes.

Prime Time
04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Bummer.
That explains now why you got so low.
I take back my statement.

Pete

Mike Gallo
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
But I get this feeling. Now the regulars on here know that I’m not one to play by feel, I’m more of a math guy, but I really couldn’t see a hand here that he does this with against me. I still have a solid image. He hasn’t been out of line all day. I don’t think he’s the type to play KQ like that. He played his set fast last time, so I’m not discounting KK, although unlikely. I have his squarely on AA or JJ with a possibility of AK.

After these reads and acting correctly on these reads, I tend to feel really good about myself and my game also. Awesome description. I have made laydowns after reads when math said something else, and the read enabled me to place in the money and take a run at the tournament.

Folded to Bosco in MP who pushes his 6k. I push behind him w/ black JJ. Folded around.

I just nearly vomited. That really hurts. I lost once with AK to A6 when he hit a one card straight.I flopped a king.

Awesome report dude.

SossMan
04-12-2005, 06:37 PM
thanks, dude.

BAD BEAT POLICE
04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
funny, same thing just happened to me, the exact same thing although it wasnt at the final table. so please, call her on me, i havent seen her in a while and it would be a sight for sore eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

SossMan gets a free pass from me since he is so studly and makes me moist.

-vince