PDA

View Full Version : Biggest hand of my poker life thus far (long, with big dec. at end)

Brad F.
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
After taking about a month hiatus from poker to focus on school and work and such, I wanted to get my feet wet again after profiting 100 bucks on Stars my last go around. In my life I've probably came out about even in poker, never really breaking ground because I've had such a Jekyl and Hyde type playing. Sometimes I play great, make reads, play tight, et cetera, and others I want EVERY pot and bluff too much and lose. And with the fact that I'm married and a student and having lots of bills to pay, poker money was hard to come by.

So after writing some of my past experiences and studying some, I want to just dabble again and deposited 25 dollars on Absolute Saturday night. I decided to play a 5 dollar limit hold-em tourney and a .25 NL game (I'm not really trying to build a bankroll per se, so these obviously aren't good ideas if trying to build one from 25 bucks).

Anyway, playing tight, good analytical poker, I take 3rd place out of 60 in the limit hold em tourney, lost about 6 bucks at NLHE, and I'm up to 55 bucks. Pretty cool I guess in one night, I went to bed thinking about poker and specific hands.

It snowed a lot in Colorado on Sunday, so I got the day off of work (restaurant). My wife went to work at 9:30, and I get online and see a 2k guaranteed tourney on at 10:00. Feeling good from my experience last night, and looking like there would be an overlay, I dish out 22 bucks to play in the tourney (again, not recommended, but I was in an analytical poker mode, and wasn't really needing or wanting to per se build a roll).

It ended up having no overlay, with 115 entrants, gnerating a prize pool of around 2400. Early on I get lucky going all-in with A-Q on a J-10-5 board and J-10 calls. King hits the river. After that poorly played hand, which got me up to 3000 in chips early on, I thought "Brad, you got these chips, now use them."

From there I played the best poker of my life. I played tight with raises in front of me, but open raised a decent amount if position called for it. I pulled up eMarkM's famous post on how to win tourneys, and read it as I was playing. I not once was all-in before the river, and the only time I was AI there was when a guy bet into my nut flush.

Once the antes started, I'd raise with Q-9, Q-10, K-8, K-9, K-10, K-J in Midde to late position. I NOT ONCE, I kid you not, got reraised. I got called, but almost every time I'd bet into the guy that called and he'd fold, regardless of the flop or how it hit my hand. I kept telling myself "Be careful with these raises, but I never once got challenged.

So i really smoothly got to the final table, only the second NLHE final table ever. Top prize was 680, 2nd 450, 3rd 260, 4-6 were all in teh 100-220 range, and 7-9 were all under 100. I went to the final table 5th in chips out of 9.

Anyway, this is the hand, I've never EVER had the pressure in front of me that I did on this hand. I wanted the big money here (ooh, 680 dollars, I know :-). I knew that if I kept playing according to eMarkM and to my tight-aggressive style, I could come out victorious.

After we got down to eight, this hand came up:
Hero in CO with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Blinds 800-1600 with 100 ante. 4 folds to me, I raise to 3200. Looking at my hand history I was shocked I only min-raised, as that's a silly silly thing to do at most any point, especially with 800 already in the middle. My normal raise was 2.5-3.5x the BB. Maybe I was mixing up my game, I'm not sure.

Not surprisingly, both the SB and the BB call my raise. Notes on both players: SB has reraised a MP1 raise in the CO with A-J suited, and has slowplayed trips. BB only open-limps, I played with him all tourney long, no open-raises, but calls raises with a wide variety of holdings.

Chip count: Brad-30400, SB-24420.50, BB-5065 (another reason not to min-raise, but he never reraised.)

Flop: 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB goes all in (21120), BB folds. Wow. I hadn't used my extra time yet, and this seriously was the first time I'd been in a tough situation. So I had time to think about it.

I think SB would reraise with JJ-AA this late in tourney. I wouldn't put 10-9 out of the picture or a set in that range, but I think he'd slowplay a set or maybe even two pair. I hadn't seen him make a move like this all tourney long. What hands do you put him on here and what play do you make?

I will end my story after some thoughts. Thanks for reading along.

Brad

The Truth
04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Could you post a link to "eMarkM's famous post on how to win tourneys"
thanks

(Note, This hand is going to be very read dependent.)
As for the hand I would probly fold, but I would expect to be folding the best hand fairly often here. you are getting 1.5:1 on the call. Best case he has a weaker 10 like J10. or even something like A-9. QJ is likely as well.
So he has between 3 and 11 outs depending.
Worst case, a set or the straight or 2 pair with 9-10. You have 3 outs at best.
Pot isnt that large, and it will be a huge hit to your stack if you call and lose. If you do call, he has way more outs to improve than you will if you call and you are already beat. If you feel you are better than the other players at the table, you should probly fold barring a read on the player that tells you he is weak because of his push. I.E. he would check raise A-10, but outright push with j-10 or a 9.

Brad F.
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
eMarkM's tourney advice (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tourn&Number=887900&fpart= &PHPSESSID=)

0evg0
04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm folding.

Unless I read it incorrectly, not only have you played with this guy, but he's played with you throughout - meaning he'd notice this suddenly unique 2x bet and wonder what's up. Usually late in a tourney if someone suddenly starts minraising in LP when all signs point not to, it's because he has a big pair. I'd say he has your pair beat, and probably with 9T or 66. There's way too much to lose to call with top pair and a possible weaker kicker, and not nearly enough to gain - especially when you think you can win this by playing as you have been.

SossMan
04-11-2005, 05:38 PM
that would be such an odd way to play anything but a draw or 2nd pair that he would double up off me if he played it like that. I'm calling here and going for the (big) bucks.

MLG
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
would it be odd to play A10/K10 this way?

Trainwreck
04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Easy fold there, you've still got lots of ammo, no way in hell am I blowing it with that.

You want R/R for your tournament safety net?

Biggest hand of your poker life? Uh oh I know what that means.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

>TW<

Brad F.
04-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Mr. Soss, this is exactly how I read that. I'd seen him play lots and he'd seen me play lots. Advantage in this case was in my court. Just because I'd seen him slowplay if not once, twice with decent to great holdings, and reraise PF with good hands in the same position, I put him on K-10, Q-10, J-10, K-9, Q-9, pocket eights, and maybe A-9 or A-10, although I thought he'd reraise me with A-9 or A-10. I really just put him on one pair finally, and called.

He turns over J-10, and I jump out of my seat, he gets no help and I become the dominant chip leader!!! Wheee!

Unfortunately the gods had it in for me when we got down to 3 and I lost two flips: My A-K versus his 2-2 and my A-Q versus his 5-5. Oh well I guess, but got myself a 280 payday, and now have my biggest roll of about 340 bucks playing .50 NLHE.

Anyway, normal thanks to all on this board for help and such. I hope to continue playing good poker and not let my 'greed' get in the way.

Good input too, I was THAT close to folding, but I couldn't with that read.

Brad

SossMan
04-12-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would it be odd to play A10/K10 this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

no it wouldn't but there are plenty of hands that he would play that way that we're beating badly.

edit: i just saw the results...see, he had JT, so obviously my advice was correct. neener, neener