PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used cell phone on eBay

bdk3clash
04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
My cell phone is about 3 years old and I'm thinking of buying a new one. I have a Sprint PCS phone/plan and I'm not interested in switching carriers.

Has anyone out there bought a used cell phone on eBay? It seems like a much better bargain than buying a brand new one without any rebates for being a new signup. There seem to be fairly reputable sellers than specialize in reselling cell phones, and I think Sprint can accomodate the switch fairly easily.

IndieMatty
04-11-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't care what you said. Get Verizon.

bdk3clash
04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty much not interested in switching carriers, but if you want to make a case for me switching to Verizon feel free. I like Sprint.

SpearsBritney
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
get a new phone damn it

ttleistdci
04-11-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty much not interested in switching carriers, but if you want to make a case for me switching to Verizon feel free. I like Sprint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you're with Sprint, you're probably familiar with having to look down at your phone to make sure you're getting enough signal before you make a call.
I can't remember the last time I've had to do that with Verizon. I know I'll have service pretty much wherever I go.

mmbt0ne
04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Do it. It's really easy, and you're right about it being a lot cheaper. Also, Sprint, or any other carrier has to do dick about accomodating it. All you do is take the SIM card out of you phone, and put it in the new phone. Voila, now the new phone works on your old network with your same number.

Make sure the phone you buy is either a Sprint phone, or is unlocked (meaning you can use it on any network). Unlocked phones are nice because you can use it between carriers, plus you can feel special that 99.5% of people with Sprint don't have your phone.

stabn
04-11-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you're with Sprint, you're probably familiar with having to look down at your phone to make sure you're getting enough signal before you make a call.
I can't remember the last time I've had to do that with Verizon. I know I'll have service pretty much wherever I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is happy with sprint this probably isn't the case.

bdk -

Most of them will give you a discount or rebate if you up your contract when getting a new phone from them. In fact, you can usually get a new shitty phone for a new one or two year contract, or 1-150 off of a decent phone.

MtnDave
04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
How can you tell if a cellphone is unlocked? I have a Nokia 3650 that I want to sell. I was using ATT Wireless on it as I traveled a lot to Europe. Now that I have stopped traveling, I got a smaller phone.
Thanks

mmbt0ne
04-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Usually it will say in the auction. If it isn't you can google for whatever cellphone model you have +unlock +code and you should be able to find instructions on how to do it pretty easily.

peachy
04-12-2005, 12:24 AM
i use cingular...have for 7 years or more...ill never switch!! U should use them!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

scrub
04-12-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My cell phone is about 3 years old and I'm thinking of buying a new one. I have a Sprint PCS phone/plan and I'm not interested in switching carriers.

Has anyone out there bought a used cell phone on eBay? It seems like a much better bargain than buying a brand new one without any rebates for being a new signup. There seem to be fairly reputable sellers than specialize in reselling cell phones, and I think Sprint can accomodate the switch fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'd be worried about getting sold a stolen phone.

Flushed had hers stolen and when she reported it, the company claimed that they had made it impossible for the thief to activate the phone again.

Not sure if Ebay gives you enough protection against this, but I figured I'd mention it.

scrub

mmbt0ne
04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm 99% sure they just disable the SIM card. So long as he moves his SIM card over from his current phone, there will be no problems concerning the phone's usability.

manpower
04-12-2005, 01:24 AM
I bought a used, cheap and crappy phone off ebay after I sank my previous one. It saved me over $100 and there were no hitches. Of course I prefer crappy phones so I have no worries in the event they are sunk during a good night of drinking.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about buying a more top of the line model; I might go new for the warranty/reliability.

jason_t
04-12-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My ex-gf and a buddy have both bought phones on eBay that they continue to use to this day. Switching the phones (with Verizon) was easy in both cases.

Flushed
04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Yep, true story. AT&T assured me that from that point on my cell phone can only be used as a mildly attractive paperweight. It was an older phone, however - a Motorola v60ish or something like that - so I'm not sure it had a removable SIM card.

beerbandit
04-12-2005, 12:07 PM
im pretty sure that if you are using sprint and have had your phone/plan for that long they offer an upgrade program

where you get a deal on a new phone -- so you would most likely be playing close to the new signup account price

atleast this is what it seemed like when they explained it to me before

cheers

ceyoung
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do it. It's really easy, and you're right about it being a lot cheaper. Also, Sprint, or any other carrier has to do dick about accomodating it. All you do is take the SIM card out of you phone, and put it in the new phone. Voila, now the new phone works on your old network with your same number.

Make sure the phone you buy is either a Sprint phone, or is unlocked (meaning you can use it on any network). Unlocked phones are nice because you can use it between carriers, plus you can feel special that 99.5% of people with Sprint don't have your phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sprint and Verizon are on CDMA and don't use sim cards so you can't do this. if you had a tmobile or cingular phone you could get an unlocked phone and use your sim card.

Sprint and Verizon register the phone directly using a serial number. However, when you buy a new Sprint phone they dont charge you to activate it. if you are going to stay with sprint, and have been with them for two years, they usually offer a $150 rebate on a replacement phone. the only stipulation is that you have to extend your contract for 2-years. even though sprint and verizon use the same technology, you cant use a verizon phone with sprint and vice versa, unless you hack the firmware.

MtnDave
04-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks! Googling worked.