PDA

View Full Version : I had my best session ever yesterday

JTG51
10-29-2002, 02:14 PM
I played 5-10 with a kill for 7 hours yesterday, and I lost $51. I think it was my best session ever. Not measured by dollars won of course, but by how well I played.

The first couple of hours was just hell. I won't bore anyone with bad beat stories, but I was stuck about $350. More importantly though, I was always in control. No, "I need to get back at that guy for that suck out" or any similar emotions. No tilt for me. I felt like I was playing my best the whole time. I had good reads on my opponents, I was making good lay downs, good value bets, etc. Things just weren't going my way.

I posted my BB and told myself if I didn't win a hand on that orbit, I was going to leave. Not because I was mad, or frustrated, I was just bored. Anyway, I stole the blinds from the button, and then again from the cutoff. I won a decent pot on the next hand without a showdown on the river.

To make a long story not quite so long, I ended up staying for a few more hours. Nothing spectacular happened. No huge pots, no great run of cards, but I played my best. I clawed my way back to where I was stuck $50 and decided it was bed time.

It felt great. I don't know if I've ever left the poker room feeling so good. There's times when I feel like my head is spinning and I'm unsure of my decisions. Not last night. Every decision was clear and simple. I felt confident of every play. I hope I can bring those feelings back to the table with me every time.

Al Schoonmaker
10-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Congratulations. Lots of people could not have stayed cool and focused after getting so far behind.

Keep it up.

Al

JTG51
10-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks Al. Many times I would fall into that category myself. In the past, I probably would have gotten frustrated and left, or gotten frustrated and played worse. I think either would have been a mistake, since the game was very good, and very beatable.

balt999
10-29-2002, 05:19 PM
7 hrs to kill?? Damn....lol /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I usually have 7 hrs to kill...when I go to sleep at night....

JTG51
10-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Who needs sleep when you have poker?

10-30-2002, 05:34 AM
You made your decision on the proper basis -- your chances of beating the game. Far too many players (including myself) make their decisions based upon whether they are winning or losing.

David Sklansky has often said that we should ignore our past and make our stay or go decisions entirely on whether the game is beatable. If it is beatable, we should stay, "even if we have to use toothpicks to keep our eyes open."

I think I've got the quotation almost right. Imay have a word or two off, but the idea is accurately stated.

This reply is from Al Schoonmaker. For some reason that I can't figure out I could not sign in.

Al

10-30-2002, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear somebody taking control of his emotions inspite of the adversities. I posted not too long ago that I was usually indecisive when to quit a session except when I knew I was so tired that my playing decisions become blurry. I received some encouraging suggestions in this forum and tried to apply them. One time, I busted out of a limit tourney without winning hand and sat down in a 7.50-15.00. Lo and behold, I did not win a single hand in 2.5 hours, got stuck for a little over 2 C-notes, re-assessed the situation after my pocket Qs got sucked out by a small set on the river, and left the session. I had a good feeling of relief rather than those of remorse or regret because I knew I made the correct decisions on my plays. In another session, the results were far better. I was playing for about 3.5 hours and was ahead about 25 BBs but the game was starting to deteriorate. Like you, I posted my BB and decided that I would quit if I did not win a hand in that orbit - and I didn't. I left the game knowing that I still have another 2 hours to play, had a good dinner and amusingly watched all the Don Quixotes fighting the windmills of craps, roulettes and other pit games. In the past, I would have stayed squeezing the last deal or two till the bus I'm taking is boarding the last passenger hoping it will alter my results for the evening of either getting back if stuck or increasing my wins by a few more chips.

It would be Nirvana if we can permanently glue such emotional detachment and control into our brains everytime we step into a poker room.

BTW, thanks to Alan, Jedi Poker and PokerBabe for their thought-provoking insights. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

FishyWhale
11-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Very well done! I´m close to getting there, because sometimes I still do certain things, and *seconds* later I realize that it was illogical, so I´m working on my inner calm and fighting hasty decision-making, but I´ll get there soon enough.