PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix

"spaceman"Bryce
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
How do I turn this into a poll?I dont know how to make the poll thingy.Anyway I vote Jimmy.

Sponger15SB
04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do I turn this into a poll?I dont know how to make the poll thingy.Anyway I vote Jimmy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Jimmy Hendrix?

Never heard of that guy, I'd vote Clapton.

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I've seen Clapton live, probably at his best. I wasn't around for Jimmy live, but it's clearly Jimmy.

Oh yea. And I prefer Clapton's music.

kerssens
Hendrix would kick Clapton's ass. Clapton is too sensitive and all those drugs probably gave Hendrix super strength.

"spaceman"Bryce
eh Jimi Hendrix

sam h
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Hendrix is in an entirely different stratosphere than Clapton and his mediocre white man's blues.

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]
eh Jimi Hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that guy....yeah hes good /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Clapton is better.

PoBoy321
Wait, do you mean like in a fight? Or in guitar playing abilities?

In a fight, definitely Hendrix, but Clapton is by far a superior guitar player.

Boris
04-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Don't bother. Clapton shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Jimi.

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Truth
04-11-2005, 01:52 PM
its closer than you guys are making it out to be

"spaceman"Bryce
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

touchfaith
Randy Rhodes

PoBoy321
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

Uston
04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

Boris
04-11-2005, 02:06 PM
He's certainly better than Clapton.

PoBoy321
04-11-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difficulty in this poll is that Hendrix and Clapton have two very different styles. Hendrix plays a fast, rock style, while Clapton leans more towards a slow, bluesy style.

That said, Clapton's mastery of slow blues guitar far surpasses Hendrix's mastery of fast rock guitar.

However, in all fairness, I do think that if he were still around today, Hendrix would be the greatest guitarist the world has ever known, but his career was cut too short and he was never really able to fully mature as an artist.

bholdr
04-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I aggree with po boy:

this is an apples and oarnges thing- they're two totally different kinds of musiciand, and to compare the two is unfair. I personally prefer Jimi, but i really appreciate what clapton's done, too.

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

hogua
04-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.

PoBoy321
04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that characterizing Hendrix as "fast rock" is a little bit misleading and inaccurate, but I was trying to develop an argument and make a good juxtaposition against Clapton's different style. Fast rock seemed to fit the bill.

Boris
04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Did Clapton write any good songs?

PoBoy321
04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clapton definitely wrote at least Layla and Tears in Heaven, since he wrote them both about very personal topics (Layla was about how he was in love with George Harrison's wife, and the Tears in Heaven was about his son's death). I could go do a search and find all of the songs that he's written, but of course, I'm lazy.

EDIT: I just realized that you might have been focusing on the "good" part of that question. I would say that Layla is definitely his best song, but if someone wants to disagree, go right ahead.

asofel
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duane Allman, if he hadn't died as well.

twankerr
04-11-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."

twang
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Anyone saying "and it's not even close" have no idea what they are talking about. I suppose what they have in mind is some clip of a stoned out of his mind Hendrix setting his guitar on fire vs a middle-aged Clapton sleeping his way through a charity concert. Put that way, I guess Hendrix is cooler.

But guitar playing wise, it's pretty damn close. These guys wrote the book.

/twang

nothumb
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Hendrix was the greatest. Ask Clapton, he'll probably tell you the same thing.

NT

"spaceman"Bryce
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watchtower isn't his song, so he doesn't get credit. I'd choose "Hey Joe" or "Manic Depression."

[/ QUOTE ]
It may not be his song but have you litsened to Bob dylans version then compared?? he made it his own.Everyone knows Bob dylan is an amazing songwriter.

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

--turnipmonster

nothumb
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're just overlooking that hendrix sounded great on a slow blues, "red house" being a prime example. clapton is a great player and I love his earlier stuff for his melodic sense and great time feel at any tempo. but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not). jimi's sonic palette was huge, clapton's tone has remained fairly constant.

jimi was a true original and changed the way people think about the guitar. I don't think even a clapton fan would say this about clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.

I like Clapton a lot by the way, except when he did "I Shot the Sheriff."

NT

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
please, clapton didn't write any book. what can you find in clapton's playing that isn't in buddy guy's or albert king's? in my opinion, not much. hendrix redefined the instrument.

--turnipmonster

Hermlord
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
In terms of being a vituoso guitar player, meaning the ability to produce desired sounds on the guitar without being hindered by technical constraints, it's Jimi, and there's absolutely no conceivable argument otherwise. None. If you ask 1000 well-trained guitarists/musicians, I would be amazed if you got less than 999 agreements.

Now, in terms of musical or songwriting ability, obviously that's much more a matter of taste. I love Clapton, but Hendrix was just on his own plane.

Incidentally, I think Steve Vai might be the most virtuosic guitarist that ever lived, and yes I am including classical guitarists in that. I also think he is better musically than most people give him credit for.

PoBoy321
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and yes I am including classical guitarists in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate arguments like this, but do you know about yamashita?

razor
04-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Jimi

twang
04-11-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but hendrix had it all, the sound, the concept, and he was a genius rhythm guitarist (clapton is not).

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget that he died young. That always works wonders for getting a solid genius status. As for the rythm-melody thing, I think that's Hendrix's most important contribution to rock guitar. Of course, he was an absolutely amazing lead player too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's pretty much impossible to listen to the radio for more than ten minutes without hearing a couple of Clapton licks. His lead playing has had a HUGE impact on rock guitar. All meat-and-potatoes leads we hear everywhere would probably not be there without Clapton and that's a huge contribution IMHO. I agree that Jimi pushed things a lot more though.

/twang

twang
04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
please, clapton didn't write any book. what can you find in clapton's playing that isn't in buddy guy's or albert king's? in my opinion, not much. hendrix redefined the instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jimi and Clapton are both souped up bluesplayers. Sure, Jimi pushed things a lot more, but to be honest, his more experimental stuff haven't had such a huge impact on music as him ripping through old blues licks and playing some of the meanest rythm guitar ever. Both built their careers on the shoulders of Kings and Guys and Wolfs and that's how rock guitar became rock guitar. I just can't imagine what would have happened if Jimi and Clapton wouldn't have been there to popularize the blues.

/twang

Pocket Trips
04-11-2005, 03:31 PM
cross town traffic

istewart
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
NT is right on this one. Clapton would tell you the same thing and I believe has, more than once.

Clapton should be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix, but Hendrix is clearly better.

Also, "Tears in Heaven" is possibly the gayest song ever, that doesn't help his case.

ucfryan
04-11-2005, 03:47 PM
They're both awesome.

astroglide
04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
i'm a pretty decent guitarist, and i would say that clapton is and was TECHNICALLY much better than hendrix. hendrix was a stylistic master and a very accomplished guitarist, but very sloppy and not particularly versatile. if you had a competition where they had to learn and play different varieties of music as they should be played (country, classical, you name it) clapton would blow hendrix away. but i like jimi's music/style/everything much better.

clapton has had years and years to develop it, but he seems to be a phenomenal improv soloist as well. still not into his music.

twang
04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're both awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thta sums up my opinon too. I'm just defending Clapton because I think he's always been in Hendrix's shadow. Hendrix had everything, funky clothes included. But to be honest, some of his more "experimental" stuff is cr[/b]ap. And Clapton had a pretty hip wardrobe too.

/twang

Blarg
04-11-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hendrix would kick Clapton's ass. Clapton is too sensitive and all those drugs probably gave Hendrix super strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough strength to beat a crocodile?

Blarg
04-11-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower are my favorites, Watchtower first. Even though Dylan wrote the latter. It took Jimi to turn it into some kinda rock revelation or whatever. That's a helluva song.

I guess Purple Haze is my favorite after those two.

Blarg
04-11-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NT is right on this one. Clapton would tell you the same thing and I believe has, more than once.

Clapton should be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix, but Hendrix is clearly better.

Also, "Tears in Heaven" is possibly the gayest song ever, that doesn't help his case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't blown away by that song either.

Then again, one of my favorite clapton songs is "bell bottom blues," so what do I know.

Lestat
04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
<font color="red">What was Jimi's best song ? </font>

That's like asking which suit is the best royal flush, but I'm kinda partial to "Little Wing", myself.

istewart
04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">What was Jimi's best song ? </font>

That's like asking which suit is the best royal flush, but I'm kinda partial to "Little Wing", myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Little Wing" by Clapton and Allman is better than Hendrix's version.

willie
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
hendrix in a walk

but the thing is you can't compare these things ina black and white who's better/worse sense- they're just different.

hendrix redefined the instrument

--but all in all SRV is my favorite guitarist.

Lestat
04-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow, I didn't even know Clapton did little wing. Which album is it on? I guess Hendrix' version just brings back memories. I wasn't around when he was, but I listened to him a lot as a teenager.

Anyway, I don't know how a subject of best guitarists can come up without at least a mention of Carlos Santana and Eddy Van Halen.

Lestat
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
That's because Clapton was formally schooled while Hendrix learned to play via LSD. Also, didn't he play some kind of revised guitar/strings because he was a lefty?

istewart
04-11-2005, 08:52 PM
No, Hendrix did it first, but Clapton (with Derek and the Dominos) did it on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, featuring Allman. It's sweet.

LockForward
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey Joe also isn't his song.

turnipmonster
04-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't like this definition of technique because it means all my favorite musicians have terrible technique.

tbach24
04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Carlos Santana

[/ QUOTE ]

O-ver-ra-ted (duh duh duh/duh/duh) O-ver-ra-ted

blindu
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Who is Jimmy Hendrix?

Never heard of that guy, I'd vote Clapton.

[/ QUOTE ]

i sincerely hope your being sarcastic.

hendrix. he was more influencial on guitar as we know it than any other musician. clapton was very very talented, but hendrix was better. in terms of overall ability, i think that jimmy page is the best of all time.

dsm
04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Jimmy! http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=jimmy+hendrix+pot/v=2/SID=w/TID=I040_85/l=IVS/SIG=127ivhhjv/EXP=1113359067/*-http%3A//www.ukcultivator.biz/images/smilies/punk.gif

razor
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jimi! http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=jimmy+hendrix+pot/v=2/SID=w/TID=I040_85/l=IVS/SIG=127ivhhjv/EXP=1113359067/*-http%3A//www.ukcultivator.biz/images/smilies/punk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

mikeyvegas
04-11-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

astroglide
04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
jimmy page is a great writer (or blues rip-offer depending on your views) but in "overall ability" he can get the holy hell beaten out of him by the random dudes at your local guitar store. his play is *VERY* sloppy, and it's not a stylistic thing.

astroglide
04-11-2005, 11:33 PM
when people talk about "technical" guitar ability it's the kind of stuff that relates to speed, accuracy, control, etc. it has nothing to do with the emotional quality of the music (which is where jimi runs away with the lead vs clapton).

Phat Mack
04-12-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Clapton agrees. I've heard him tell this story on the radio:

The first time Clapton heard Hendrix, Jimi was new and unknown in England and had been hired to open for Clapton's band. Clapton was in the wings listening. According to Clapton he was so shook by Jimi's greatness that he tried to light a cigarette, but his hand were shaking too hard to get the job done. According to Clapton, he couldn't play for several weeks afterwards.

The problem with Jimi was that he has too many imitators. He invented so much, but it's hard to understand if you weren't alive at the time. One of my favorite guitar solos is Clapton's Crossroads, but he could never have played it if he hadn't heard Hendrix.

JMO

twang
04-12-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's because Clapton was formally schooled

[/ QUOTE ]Huh? Art school?

/twang

KungFuSandwich
04-12-2005, 09:00 AM
I think the difference is Jimi grew up in the blues and Clapton learned the blues. Claptons a great guitar player, but Jimi doesnt even play the guitar, He makes it bend to his will.

Yes you can compare hendrix and clapton, both were blues players at their heart. Many of the songs they "ripped off" were blues standards. If you listen to the blues you will find many different versions of the same songs. Listen to poor black mattie/poor black mattie by R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, North Mississippi Allstars, or Richard Johnston.

Led Zepplin were the worst rip offs, because they did not give the royalties to the original artists.

Someone asked about hendrix's guitar, Since he was lefthanded and too poor to buy a left handed guitar He turned a right handed guitar upside down and strung it in the opposite way, so it played the same as a lefthanded guitar. (Albert King actually just played a right handed guitar upside down, learning to play the opposite)

You can compare Hendrix to Clapton, but not to Duane Allman. Allman played slide guitar which is completely different.

And yeah, I know Im a douchebag for knowing all this and careing enough to write it all.

fluxrad
04-12-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can compare hendrix and clapton, both were blues players at their heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hendrix was not a blues man. In fact, most of his blues play was overly technical and too overbearing. One thing I think Hendrix never learned was that silence is part of music too. Clapton's blues play is significantly better, though they both pale in comparison to guys like Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker (IMHO, the best blues guitarist of all time).

That being said, Hendrix is the best guitarist of all time. His work on Little Wing alone should easily prove that. Second best is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn.

coltrane
04-13-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and in fact, Clapton's solo on "Strange Brew" is a note-for-note copy of Albert King's "Pretty Woman" solo.....

twang
04-13-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and in fact, Clapton's solo on "Strange Brew" is a note-for-note copy of Albert King's "Pretty Woman" solo.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Clapton said that the intention of that solo was to sound like Albert King.

/twang

dr. klopek
04-13-2005, 07:08 AM
I think they're technically comparable in that they probably play scales the same way, but when Jimi did it, I bet it sounded like angels makin love. That's the real and important difference. BTW the Woodstiock performance blew my skirt up.

zephed56
04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can compare hendrix and clapton, both were blues players at their heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hendrix was not a blues man. In fact, most of his blues play was overly technical and too overbearing. One thing I think Hendrix never learned was that silence is part of music too. Clapton's blues play is significantly better, though they both pale in comparison to guys like Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker (IMHO, the best blues guitarist of all time).

That being said, Hendrix is the best guitarist of all time. His work on Little Wing alone should easily prove that. Second best is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what to say to this. I like SRV too.

To this post in general, do you guys really believe that being a bit more technically proficient means much, especially in rock and blues?

Allan
04-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Is that the dude who transcribed Le Sacre for gutiar?

Allan

Duke
04-13-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So would Clapton.

I think a lot of people confuse him making a guitar sound exactly how he wanted it to sound with sloppiness.

~D

turnipmonster
04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
yeah he's incredible, one of the great classical players and quite possibly the best classical technician ever. I hate talking about technical proficiency because I don't think it means a lot, but guys like that and the flamenco guys (pena, delucia, etc) have an extremely broad technique, and are capable of playing almost anything written for the guitar.

IMO, talking about guitar technique without talking about the flamenco heavyweights is just ridiculous.

--turnipmonster

twang
04-13-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To this post in general, do you guys really believe that being a bit more technically proficient means much, especially in rock and blues?

[/ QUOTE ]
I sure don't. One should use what's necessary to get the point across. Aything beyond that is excessive fat and should be pooped upon. FFS, this whole Mr Miyagi/Daniel thing of the 80's and 90's almost killed rock.

/twang