PDA

View Full Version : K-2o

limzo
04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I was recently playing in a tournament at the Bike, made the final table, and made a move with K-2 offsuit with four players left where I was number 2 in chips.

The first place guy had an extra stack or two on me. The third place guy had about a half of what I had, and the fourth place guy had about one quarter of what I had. Total I had two racks plus some change. (Sorry, I don't know the conversions.) Big blind was two stacks, plus a one stack ante.

The payouts were about $4k for first, $1.7k for second, and $800 for third, and $500 for fourth.

The fourth place guy was folded. I went all in. First place guy ran into pockets tens had to call and won the hand. (The third place guy stayed out, folding his hand.)

I reasoned that the chip leader was probably eager to stay that way and likely to fold many of his hands, even if they were above average and the third place guy was eager to stay in. (Who knows what he had since this was an easy decision even if he had the pocket Aces - though I doubt that he was good enough to know that.) I further reasoned that if I caught this hand easy, then I could bide my time and wait for cards so that I could win the damn thing.

For a while, I was thinking that I did the right thing. Now, it seems like it may have been seriously misguided. Any comments are much appreciated. I am not sure that I understand how you take the gamble out of the game when you do make the final table and the tournament organizers in a such a big hurry to get rid of you and seem to take the strategic play out of the game by making the antes and blinds rise so big.

The spectators seemed aghast that I had made such a move so late in the tournament. Is it clear that the thing to do in this position, where you know that you are going to get blinded away in just something like ten hands, that you should just hope like hell that you'll actually get some real cards?