PDA

View Full Version : Am I wasting chips calling with Ace high on the river?

cartman
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
My opponent will call the flop heads up with almost anything and call the turn and river with any pair and most Ace highs. He will virtually always bet the river when checked to heads up.

I raise preflop and one opponent calls. I'm out of position.
FLOP: I bet, he calls.
TURN: I bet, he calls
RIVER: I check, he bets, ????

I almost always call here, but I have been wondering lately if this is a waste.

Is it correct to almost always call here?

Should I fold when there is no apparent busted draw he could have?

Thanks,
Cartman

InfernoLL
04-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I would like an informed answer to this question, as I almost always fold in the situation described. Is calling the river bet with a good ace high standard (and correct)?

TMFS9
04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Waaay to general of a question to get any reasonable answer to. Board texture has a lot to do with what you are asking. Also I think if you are almost always calling in this situation you leaking a lot of money. They are value betting much more than they are bluffing.

cartman
04-11-2005, 12:59 PM
My question was intentionally general. Maybe I wasn't clear enough though. What I am asking is on what textured boards, if any, should I be folding in this spot? It is a given that my opponent is value betting more often than he is bluffing. The question is how MUCH more often. Assuming no dead money from folded blinds, there are at least 6 Big Bets in the pot at the time of my river decision. I only have to be good 1 time in 7 to make my call breakeven. I gather that I should be folding more often than "almost never". On what type of boards would you call?

Thanks,
Cartman

tolbiny
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
considerations
1: range of hands he will coldcall with
without this the board texture is very difficult to apply

2: your kicker
calling the bet with AT is as low as i usually go- AJ is generally my cutoff.

TMFS9
04-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Well it also depends on why you're betting the turn, do you have a strong draw or are you betting solely because you want to continue the aggression? Generally if I am going to check/call a bet on the river i would bet it myself. I think a better approach would be to post a specific hand or set of hands with this general theme.