PDA

View Full Version : SSH and ITH

PygmyHero
04-11-2005, 10:16 AM
First of all, could someone please clarify what ITH stands for? I ran a search but of course it came back with a bunch of posts, "you are in late position wITH..."

I already read WLLH and am wondering if it is advisable to still read SSH. I read a post implying that SSH was above WLLH on the learning curve and I wanted to see if that was the general consensus (again, I already ran a search).

What I really want to know is what SSH covers that WLLH lacks. If someone has read both books I'd really appreciate their input.

Also, assuming ITH is a book...how does that that stack up against WLLH and SSH?

Thanks for your replies.

d1sterbd
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Internet Texas Hold'em

royaltrux
04-11-2005, 11:41 AM
The consensus of this forum is that SSH is the best, followed by ITH by Matthew Hilger and then WLLH.

PygmyHero
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Could I please get some comments with regards to content of the books? Or alternatively, why is one better than the other?

Thanks again!

popniklas
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
SSH teaches a more aggressive (and better) style of playing. It is also much more thorough and more difficult.

I would recommend reading ITH first and then SSH. I read WLLH and then gave SSH a try, then gave up realizing that I need more experience first. Now I'm reading ITH, planning to take on SSH when I think I'm done with ITH.

ITH is a bit more advanced (and more thorough) than WLLH, but less so than SSH. SSH seems to be a must read, but it's clearly not a beginner's book.

Derek in NYC
04-22-2005, 11:26 PM
I liked ITH for much of the same reasons that I liked (the much maligned) Middle Limit Holdem: not so much for the advice given (although I think both books give reasonable, though different, advice that could be correct depending on table texture), but for its methodical discussion about the considerations that go into reading a board post flop. Some board are easy to read (e.g. monotone flops), but other boards require more nuance to read. ITH does a good job of at least thinking through the different factors. Whether you come out the same way or not is almost beside the point... it's about the process to get to the conclusion.

benfranklin
04-23-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies so far.

Could I please get some comments with regards to content of the books? Or alternatively, why is one better than the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

To play winning poker, you must play tight (relatively few hands) and selectively aggressive (bet/raise rather than check/call) when you have the cards.

Instinctive play for most beginners is loose/passive rather than tight/aggressive. WLLH will teach you to play tightly, but not as aggressively as you ultimately should. ITH will teach you to play tighter and more aggressively. SSHE stresses even more selectively aggressive play. You need to find your own path through this process. Reading, studying, and implementing all three in progression might not be the quickest and most efficient way to learn the game, but would get you to your goal.

helpmeout
04-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Here is a good order for most beginners

1. WLLHE
2. ITH
3. SSHE
4. TOP
5. MLHE
6. HEPFAP
7. POP
8. ITPM
9. IYP
10+ the rest

You can probably throw EDs new book up the top there as well.

WLLHE is very good for beginners as it tells you all the basic beginner stuff you need to know.

ITH is also pretty good it expands a bit more and has a lot of hand examples.

SSHE teaches you how to be a bit more aggressive but a lot of beginners and most 2+2ers struggle a bit with the balance.

TOP explains all the main concepts such as semibluffing, freecard plays, checkraising etc.

MLHE shows you a lot of examples but teaches you where to avoid trouble (a good follow up from SSH)

HEPFAP is much like TOP but mainly shows the concepts for holdem as well as a bit more things about playing vs tough opponents.

POP teaches you about the 4 main player types.

ITPM is a good collection of essays that will help your game.

IYP is filled with just generally good information.

PygmyHero
04-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Alright, well I guess this thread has come full circle since I once again feel ignorant because I don't know all the book acronyms. I'm with you through the first 6 books and I at least have guesses for the rest.

POP = Psychology of Poker?
ITPM = Sklansky's Inside the Poker Mind?
IYP = Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker?

Thanks for your list.

soded
04-25-2005, 01:06 AM
1. SSH
2. ITH
3. WLLH

the SSH post flop section is superb with a more aggressive style (and with good reasoning behind the suggestions) a must have/read if you've gone through WLLH and ITH and understood everything.

John Feeney
04-25-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ITPM = Sklansky's Inside the Poker Mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif