PDA

View Full Version : Why is 4 of a kind called a poker?

cianosheehan
04-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Was there one stage where it was believed that was the best hand possible, then someone realised the Straight flush possibility?

Chairman Wood
04-11-2005, 06:50 AM
I've never heard it called that before.

miajag81
04-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I've never heard of this either. Maybe it's just an Irish thing?

stigmata
04-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I never heard of this either, but if you search google, then this definition certainly exists:

3. Four of a kind (http://poker.viewlondon.co.uk/handrankings.html)
"Four cards of the same rank - such as four queens. The fifth card can be anything. This combination is sometimes known as "quads", and in some parts of Europe it is called a "poker", though this term for it is unknown in English."

I can't find a reason for 4-of-a-kind being called "a poker", but I think the fact that it is only used in continental europe (where the game originated) would suggest that your theory may be correct.

nicky g
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I think it used to be the best hand before straights and flushes (and sfs) were added to the game. But maybe not.

stigmata
04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
From wikipedia:

"Soon after this spread [across the US], the full 52-card English deck was used, and the flush was introduced. During the American Civil War, many additions were made, including draw poker, stud poker (the five-card variant), and the straight."

Also the persian game "As Nas" (from which poker originated) does not feature straight/flushes.

It would seem that it was called "A Poker" in europe, before the game reached the US, and straights/flushes were then added, and the term "Poker" was dropped for 4-of-a-kind.

cianosheehan
04-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Strange that some people had never heard of the term "poker" before in describing quads! I just took it as common knowledge. Yeah, after reading replies I would definately say it was called that before straight flush was determined to be the hardest hand to get.

jdl22
04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Not sure why but in Spanish they say poker to describe four of a kind.

jakethebake
04-11-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was there one stage where it was believed that was the best hand possible, then someone realised the Straight flush possibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard it called that, but yes, four of a kind was originally the best hand. Straights, flushes, and straight flushes didn't come around until later (according to Holden in Big Deal).

Gabe
04-12-2005, 11:42 AM
the only place i've heard it called this is in ireland. why do you guys call a 25 euro chip a pony?

Inthacup
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/383556/2/Pitchfork.jpg

Ray Zee
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
playing around the world i have heard lots of players call it that.

where as in the u.s. they just shrug their shoulders and say two pair.

cianosheehan
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
playing around the world i have heard lots of players call it that.

where as in the u.s. they just shrug their shoulders and say two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha.

We also use the word "poker" in describing the yoke you poke the fire with.