PDA

View Full Version : AK Turn decision... hold 'em or fold 'em?

jrbick
04-11-2005, 05:27 AM
No reads. What do you do?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero...

Malachii
04-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Definitely don't fold it whatever you do.

jrbick
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
&lt;I was too late&gt;

EDIT: If it's a call, what is the plan for the R?

Malachii
04-11-2005, 05:49 AM
I'd probably just call on the river because I really don't want to get 3 bet, but I also want a showdown. Trust me though, this will be a profitable calldown in the long run.

deepsquat
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Id call this down everytime w/out a read.

stlip
04-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Even if this were heads up against the raiser you would want to call down with this hand. You've also got another caller in there who you probably have beat so your pot odds here are tremendous to stay in the hand.

reubenf
04-11-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if this were heads up against the raiser you would want to call down with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one 3-betting this if it's heads-up?

lillumultipass
04-11-2005, 06:04 AM
It is rather ironic that you post this kind of hand, as in another post I have just said that my biggest leak seem to be that I can't fold AK...at least here you have paired...
so I am going to try to think about it...but I am sure my advice will be wrong!
Ok, let see...I guess the former me would have called...maybe even raise this hand, and if re-raised by MP3 and called by CO I would have folded. Now, what could they have...I doubt A5, as one of them would have raised the flop... but maybe something like K5 or Q5...even though they have called your raise PF cold...but nothing surprises me now...ok, so there is something like 21.5 in the pot right??? It's pretty big...But 1 people raised and one called, so we can imagine that one of them has a 5...I guess you should!
hmmmm...tough decision!

lillumultipass
04-11-2005, 06:09 AM
oups...forgot a word!
I said that you should fold! Even thoug I am pretty sure that had I been in your shoes, I would have called!
Well, I hope you will get better advice than mine!
The thing is, I don't see why MP3 would raise the turn if he doesn't hold a 5...maybe he has a big pair like QQ or KK and wants some information to see if you got an Ace...
so in fact maybe re-raising is a good option...I don't know!

jrbick
04-11-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if this were heads up against the raiser you would want to call down with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one 3-betting this if it's heads-up?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

I know this hand may seem pretty basic (and it probably is). I was just wondering if (ALL things considered) there'd be varying opinions.

cmwck
04-11-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oups...forgot a word!
I said that you should fold! Even thoug I am pretty sure that had I been in your shoes, I would have called!
Well, I hope you will get better advice than mine!
The thing is, I don't see why MP3 would raise the turn if he doesn't hold a 5...maybe he has a big pair like QQ or KK and wants some information to see if you got an Ace...
so in fact maybe re-raising is a good option...I don't know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe MP3 has Ax or a pocket pair and "improved" to two-pair on the turn. Maybe he's an idiot trying to scare you into folding. Either way, your hand only has to be good about 13% of the time at the showdown to correctly call this down.

Edit: p.s. Small Detail: You will improve to a big full house 4% of the time, so really you only have to be good about 9% of the time.

lillumultipass
04-11-2005, 07:53 AM
That's true...the "idiot" possibility is highly probable. So what do u think of raising the turn???
Btw, a noob question: how do u find the 13%??? Is it with implied odds???

Dave G.
04-11-2005, 08:05 AM
An interesting fact that is certainly worth remembering is that now that two 5s have been exposed, the chances that one of your opponents has one is smaller. He might have a 5 here, but most of the time, he won't.

He could be raising for any number of reasons. I'd call this down.

Edit: btw, heads up yes I'll 3-bet this.

@bsolute_luck
04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
echoing what others have posted. this is a good place to bluff or even semi-bluff. he could be on the flush draw as well as a slowplayed Ax.

i was thinking about the 3-bet option. i like to make people pay for betting here on this type of board, but that's probably wrong. you have a 2 suited board and CO is cold calling, so i think 3-betting is chip spewing. i'm definitely calling though.

Francis
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
DO NOT FOLD.

I've been playing at 1/2 for about 2 months, (up from .5/1) and I'm amazed at the stupid aggression you see from folks. People will raise with anything, trying to force you out of a hand with garbage like middle/bottom pair. I was folding too much early on, respecting raises and bets from players. After seeing the cheese I was being folded by, I became much more selective about folding good hands...

You've got TPTK here, don't fold. If you respect villian, go into call mode to the river.

MrEngenic
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Easy call down no matter what hits on the river. He could be semibluffing with two different flush draws.

bonaparte
04-11-2005, 09:04 PM
you MIGHT be up agains two pair or three of a kind. I call here because for all you know he is bluffing, or maybe he thinks his lower ace is somehow good now. Who knows. I call. If the river helps you great if not I think I call to a showdown.

PokerProdigy
04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I call this one down.