PDA

View Full Version : I'm a beer newb.

Joe826
04-11-2005, 04:50 AM
I know there was that huge beer thread the other day, which was quite entertaining. Unfortunately I had no idea what the hell anyone was talking about as far as what kind of beers are what. I bought "moose drool" which was a brown ale (i don't know WTF that means) and a few people recommended it so I figured it would be good. Anyways I thought it was gross, so i'm going to tell you my likes and maybe you guys can tell me others that I might like? Don't be too harsh. I'm still new to alcohol.

I like Rolling Rock and Corona alot. I had a regular old Budweiser once and it was ok. Oh, also Fat Tire is ok.

I don't like Moose Drool, Killian's Red, or that Henry Weinards sh[/i]it. Also Natural Ice is gross.

Thanks.

PokerFink
04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
The beers you don't like have more flavor.

You should do fine with all of the mainstreem beers, such as Bud, Miller, Coors. I prefer miller lite over bud, so try that. Natty is basically a lower quality form of Bud. Milwaulkee's Best (also known as "Beast") is even worse than Natty.

You won't like Guiness, and probably not Heniken (sp?).

Corona is my favorite too.

pshreck
04-11-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Guiness, and probably not Heniken (sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are spelled correctly.

mantasm
04-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Since you mostly like the flavorless beer, I'd recommend moving on to some sort of better pilsener or a wheat beer. I can't really make any more specific recommendations than that for those styles, but ratebeer.com is a good place to start.

Joe826
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Cool thanks for the replies. I'll check that website out. I suppose as I drink more the other stuff will become more appealing but for now I just don't really like it.

Brainwalter
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guiness, and probably not Heniken (sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are spelled correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make joke, comrade?

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 05:53 AM
The guy loves Corona, teaching him to spell would be a disservice to humanity.

RunDownHouse
04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Try Harp. Then move on to Spaten Pils(ner). Those are both great beers that are in the same vein as, but a step up from, the beers you listed. Both should also be readily available anywhere in the states.

Chris_P
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
The problem is your in america and americans can't make good beer.... you want some BUDVAR, Kronenburg, Hoegarrdaan,
6X and if you can get actual Stella then thats good (but not the normal wifebeater they sell in the pubs).....

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
If you think Rolling Rock and Corona are good and Fat Tire is just OK, you have very, very pedestrian taste. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fat Tire is a very good product, though to my taste, not quite the equal of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada. Red Tail, or Harpoon IPA.

Bud, Miller, etc. are all dog pi$$. Of all the Mexican beers I've tried, Corona is the worst by far. Quite tasteless.

Molson & Moosehead are crap. When in Canada I drink Keith's.

jakethebake
04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Beer Hunter (http://beerhunter.com)

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
<font color="white"> not really </font>

mostsmooth
04-11-2005, 11:24 AM
two words for you:
MGD
no need to screw aorund with anything else

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
<font color="white"> Screw around w/anything else </font>

CrazyN8
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
live the High Life my friend....it's the only way to go! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
<font color="white"> The Shampagnee of Beers </font>

mostsmooth
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> Screw around w/anything else </font>

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="white"> heaven forbid somebody reverses a letter in their text. im not even going to go back and fix it. FU /images/graemlins/cool.gif </font>

BruinEric
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm a total beer geek folks, but you guys ripping him for liking bad beer is silly. He came here looking for advice!

Lots of us started drinking with wine coolers when they first became popular -- or fruity mixed drinks. Beers and red wines were too funky. We wanted sweet, tasty fun!

Okay, you like Fat Tire, so that's a start. Keep drinking that. Taste the bready sweetness that comes from malted barley? That's good flavor. In a while you'll grow to appreciate the counter-balance that a good dose of hops provides! But let's give some time to progress.

Palates change over time somewhat. Lots of us when we were kids couldn't stand coffee because of its bitterness. We'd rather have hot chocolate with marshmallows on top. Now, I enjoy coffee with a little milk and sugar. Palates change!

Before I start, I highly suggest you try more flavorful brews with food pairings. Also, drink your beer out of a glass. A big part of the "taste" experience is actually the smell.

1) Get to love Hefeweizens

Next time you're in the mood for a "refreshing" daytime beer, try a hefeweizen made with a european yeast strain (i.e. not widmer or pyramid). Maybe one from a local microbrewery. Paulaner Hefeweizen is a great choice. Smell the beer before drinking and enjoy the banana &amp; clove scents. These beers are meant to be cloudy, don't worry. Drop yourself a slice of lemon on top if you like and enjoy.

2) Try lagers / pilseners that aren't Bud/Miller/Coors or Mexican beers.

Most USA and Mexican beers are made partly with adjuncts such as corn and rice. That's not real beer IMHO. First try a true "lager" from Germany like Paulaner Munich Lager. The hops aren't very pronounced, and this is a good representative of style. Then try something like Pilsner Urquell or Paulaner Pils. Learn to like these beers by pairing them with just about ANY food.

3) Try some Pale Ales
I love Stone Pale Ale. Keep drinking Fat Tire. Mix in a Sierra Nevada. Try these all with steaks/burgers/fries, etc and see how the refreshing hop balance to the beer malt and how it pairs with meaty/fatty foods.

4) Try some belgian style beers

Try some drinkable belgian style beers. There are super-gnarly belgian beers too -- don't try these yet!!! For a USA version alternative, try Ommegang Rare Vos. A great beer. I think it's only available in 750 ml bottles, but it's usually under $5 for that. Very tasty. Not hoppy. Interesting flavor. Pairs really well with food.

5) Try an IPA
You might wait on this one until you've enjoyed ALL the above categories. IPAs have a higher hoppiness than all those above. Stone IPA is great. There are plenty others to try. Try to go with a true IPA and not a double IPA or an imperial IPA. One step at a time.

Pair these with food. Maybe a nice fish dish. Don't try an IPA with some mexican spices -- the combo is horrible (or at least was for me last week.)

6) Continue your journey from there!

Another site worth checking out is: www.beeradvocate.com (http://www.beeradvocate.com)

Sponger15SB
04-11-2005, 12:27 PM
If you live near a trader joes go check there and check out all the micro brew-ish beers that they have there. They have way more of good seleciton than a supermarket other than just rows of bud, coors, and miller.

nolanfan34
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a total beer geek folks, but you guys ripping him for liking bad beer is silly. He came here looking for advice!

Lots of us started drinking with wine coolers when they first became popular -- or fruity mixed drinks. Beers and red wines were too funky. We wanted sweet, tasty fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post (the whole thing, not just the quoted part).

When I first started drinking, I pretty much stuck with Coors Light, because I just hadn't acquired the taste for something with actual flavor yet. It is something you'll appreciate gradually as you branch out further. There are some good suggestions in this thread.

PhatTBoll
04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is your in america and americans can't make good beer.... you want some BUDVAR, Kronenburg, Hoegarrdaan,
6X and if you can get actual Stella then thats good (but not the normal wifebeater they sell in the pubs).....

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to 1973.

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to 1973.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer.

dogsballs
04-11-2005, 09:24 PM
america makes a lot of great beers. Used to be just bud, milwaukee's best etc. But the explosion of good microbrewery's has made the US is one of the great beer brewing nations of the world.

blatz
04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
For what its worth, Pabst Blue Ribbon was voted best beer in America in 1876.

Some people say it's still good...especially in 16 ounce bottles.