PDA

View Full Version : $10+1: Two shorties on the bubble, and I'm one of 'em

spentrent
04-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Next hand will be the last at this level.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t4235)
BB (t1875)
Hero (t980)
Button (t910)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I'm thinking push, but with Button about to eat the 300 blind I reconsidered. Good? Bad? Why?

johnny005
04-11-2005, 04:32 AM
I think I would wait for this one.. IMOA the BB, Sb are more likely to call since they are both sitting on large stacks. I might wait to see what happens to the Button on the nect few hands and im sure you will get a better hand than 8-2s? Thats just my 2 cents I'm no expert though

aveadams
04-11-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would wait for this one.. IMOA the BB, Sb are more likely to call since they are both sitting on large stacks. I might wait to see what happens to the Button on the nect few hands and im sure you will get a better hand than 8-2s? Thats just my 2 cents I'm no expert though

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Wait a hand, see if the other shortie busts. Any hand you catch will be at least equal value to 28s. Don't push here.

spentrent
04-11-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking that BB still has to have a decent hand to call. My bet gives him a 1.6 to 1 (1280 to 780) so it's not an easy math call with any two.

The quality of my hand isn't the issue for me, but maybe it should be? My concern is more about the merits of exploiting fold equity versus blinding away with the other shorty in the name of surviving to the money.

lutefisk
04-11-2005, 04:53 AM
I think the quality of the hand is important. Also, I don't think everyone you play against gives the analysis to odds etc. that many of us do.

Add to this the possibility that one of the 3 actually has a good hand, and I think you've got a decent chance of getting called.

Then you're in trouble.

Apathy
04-11-2005, 04:53 AM
maybe you should have pushed the hand before? Or the hand before that?

I think you should fold here though.

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should have pushed the hand before? Or the hand before that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that presumes a lot about the actions before this hand, doesn't it? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should fold here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that I can extrapolate for future situations: why?

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the quality of the hand is important. Also, I don't think everyone you play against gives the analysis to odds etc. that many of us do.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Good point.

Apathy
04-11-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So that I can extrapolate for future situations: why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your hand sucks, your positon sucks, your folding equity is not very high at all and there is a stack of equal size to you, and because you on the bubble.

Cool?

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Because your hand sucks.

No argument there.

your positon sucks,

No argument there.

your folding equity is not very high at all

Not totally convinced of this but I'm getting there ;-).

and there is a stack of equal size to you,

I must admit that I'm not advanced enough to know why this is a reason in this situation. I was actually letting that help support a push because I figured his calling range would be much tighter than the other players' ranges.

and because you on the bubble.

I figured the other shorty would fold now but push UTG next hand (because he would have to take a 300 chip hit on the next hand as the level increase coincides with his BB.)

Then I'd be stuck at 780, ~2.5BBs for the next level, facing his push, and if I didn't defend my blind with any two I'd be conceding defeat.

So I'm thinking what's better NOW? Hoping I have some FE or rolling the dice and calling with anything next hand?

Cool?

ICE COLD. Thanks for taking the time to reply BTW. I get the feeling that this is an elementary situation for you and that returning to this thread is an annoyance for you... so I appreciate that you've taken the time to reply to me twice so far.

spentrent
04-11-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Add to this the possibility that one of the 3 actually has a good hand, and I think you've got a decent chance of getting called.

Then you're in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your range for pushing here?

lutefisk
04-11-2005, 07:10 AM
That's a tough one, and I fully admit that I may be way off base with this, so fire away if you disagree here.

I'd do it with any PP, AK-8, and KQ, KJ. I'd sweat it up over KT but would probably dump it in the end.

This may be way to tight for this situation, but it's honestly what I'd do. Terrible position, and I'd be hoping that I'll either catch something, or that the other dude will make a mistake first.

1C5
04-11-2005, 08:44 AM
That is madness that you will muck A7 here.

lutefisk
04-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Like I said, I'm not to confident with where to draw the line here. Where do you draw yours? A5? Any Ace? How low do you go with kings?

Thanks.

1C5
04-11-2005, 09:38 AM
It really depends on the table. At the $11 level I would be more tight as players are likely to call with anything and perhaps even any 2. So I don't know what my exact standards would be but I would be pushing A7 forsure. /images/graemlins/grin.gif