PDA

View Full Version : OMAHA SNG"S?????

johnny005
04-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Has anyone actually played many of these ?? I've just started playing limit Omaha/8 and i find it to be a pretty fun game. I've been 4 tabling the 20's at about 200 a week so for something different I started playing them quite a bit on the weekends. But what about the omaha sng's can they be profitable??

BDarch
04-11-2005, 03:43 AM
I used to play them a lot but they take so much longer than the texas ones, you cang et in a lot more texas

Freudian
04-11-2005, 03:47 AM
I have played two, both by accident. Actually came 2nd in one so I guess I am a lifetime winner playing omaha.

And yes, it seems like a very fun game. I imagine it is much harder to learn to play decent than hold'em.

splashpot
04-11-2005, 03:56 AM
I made a post about this yesterday but didn't get many responses. I played my first pot limit o/8 sng the other day and came in second. I'm not saying that this is conclusive data or anything, but my observations were that the players truely sucked. I'm considering studying this game and learning to get good just because it's a nice break from hold'em.

johnny005
04-11-2005, 03:58 AM
thats exactly what I was thinking It seems that the game isnt as popular as hold'em as well as being harder to learn I think a good omaha player could make more $/hr.. probably not at the sng's but ring game forsure

BDarch
04-11-2005, 03:59 AM
In limit omaha ring games i know the normal win rate is like twice that of a limit hold em player

splashpot
04-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Played my second pot limit O/8 sng and placed 1st./images/graemlins/cool.gif I have a sample size of 2, but let me make it clear that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in this game. I understand that I got lucky, but I'm basing my thoughts of these games being extremely soft on my observations. Not my win rate. I totally wouldn't be surprised if these players didn't know how to make a low hand. Here is why I'm considering making this my main game.

1. I play limit hold'em. While becoming an expert is very difficult, the game is easy to learn. Since there are at most 3 courses of action, namely bet, check, or fold, bad players will often make the correct play by mistake. There is much more opportunity to make errors in pot limit/no limit games.

2. In hold'em, to be successful you have to be aggressive and push small edges. For example, you usually bet TPTK. If someone has a big hand, being aggressive in these spots can really hurt you, especially in a no limit game. Conversely, omaha is about having the nuts. When you have the nuts, you can't lose. You get your money in when you have the nuts or are drawing to them.

3. Way too many ex-hold'em players think good hold'em hands are good omaha hands. The concept that "any 2 cards can win" is even more true for omaha. (4 cards of course)

4. With all the hold'em that's on TV, there are loads of hold'em websites and books. It literally takes 30 minutes of reading on the web to discover you shouldn't be playing hands like K5o. A curious player can spend 1 hour reading a poker website and begin to play tight poker. There is a relatively minisclue amount of omaha literature.

Perhaps these thoughts belong in a different forum, but I would appreciate any comments.

BradleyT
04-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Hand values in o/8 run very close. You won't find any dominated hand situations like you do in holdem where a pair is a huge favorite over an underpair.

It's much more of a postflop game than a preflop game.

You won't find nearly as many games running at the higher levels. On Empire right now they don't even list the game at the $20's. $30's have a game listed and a game running though.

Go and read any post by Buzz on the o/8 forums.

shejk
04-11-2005, 09:03 AM
That's the point entirely. My edge in omaha pl hilo sngs are that few hands are truely dominated. They call me with like their top 20%, and their top 20% only beats me 60% of the time they call me = massive edge... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That said, I've only played maybe 20 or so total.

cjs
04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Bradley, I play in the cash PLO8 games all the time and have been giving the 30 SNG's a go. I have done well over a small run but have had trouble winning. Many seconds and thirds. My trouble is with hands running so close in value, when it gets very short do you still raise anything you want to play? It seems to me that it's a real crap shoot at that time because you almost always get allin when you raise.

Do you limp more, late, than you would in a hold'em SNG?