PDA

View Full Version : AAK4 in a PLO8 tournament...

B Mando
04-11-2005, 01:46 AM
I have around 4600 before the first break in a PokerRoom PLO8 10+1. The blinds are 75-150. I am dealt AcAsKh4h in the SB.

Preflop there are 3-4 limpers one of who is short. I potted it to get the short guy to call off all his chips. He did this. Other guy who has me covered also calls for 950! I have not been playing attention to what type of player he is.

Flop : 8d 6d 6h

About 3000 in the pot so I can almost get all in, which I do and my other opponent obliges.

Did I over play my hand big time or what? What would all you guys do with AcAsKh4h in the SB in a tournament situation?

I thought my hand was too good to limp and I figured I could just pick up the dead money and get this short stack guy all in. Is this far off? What about my post flop play?

Note: The play in these tournaments is terrible! Some people dont even understand the rules so this guy could have been holding anything.

Results:<font color="white"> After I potted to flop he put my all-in for my last couple hundred and I called. He showed 9d9h7d7h and he made his diamond flush. It was really funny because afterwards I checked out his Pokah! page(his profile for all you non PR players) and he basically talked about how awesome he is at O8 and its his best game and such. If I am actually the fish and calling off a huge pot sized over bet preflop with 9d9h7d7h preflop is a good play then throw me in the ocean! </font>

Yads
04-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I think you played it fine, your hand does well heads up, and your pretty pot commited on the flop after he raises you all in. I'm guessing your low didn't get there?

FBMike
04-12-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have around 4600 before the first break in a PokerRoom PLO8 10+1. The blinds are 75-150. I am dealt AcAsKh4h in the SB.

Preflop there are 3-4 limpers one of who is short. I potted it to get the short guy to call off all his chips. He did this. Other guy who has me covered also calls for 950! I have not been playing attention to what type of player he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paying attention to what kind of player he is will sometimes reward you now, sometimes later when you meet up again in a tournament, and sometimes at the final table. Obviosly you are gamling -- although not at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop : 8d 6d 6h

About 3000 in the pot so I can almost get all in, which I do and my other opponent obliges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how do you think this flop is good for you?

You don't have any nuts -- or even draws to nuts -- so why would you think you opponent was pitiful?

It's harsh, and don't take it personally, but you sucked as bad as your opponent.

There are some situations in a tournament that require you to make risky decisions. This is nowhere near borderline, so fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Note: The play in these tournaments is terrible! Some people dont even understand the rules so this guy could have been holding anything.

Results:<font color="white"> After I potted to flop he put my all-in for my last couple hundred and I called. He showed 9d9h7d7h and he made his diamond flush. It was really funny because afterwards I checked out his Pokah! page(his profile for all you non PR players) and he basically talked about how awesome he is at O8 and its his best game and such. If I am actually the fish and calling off a huge pot sized over bet preflop with 9d9h7d7h preflop is a good play then throw me in the ocean! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your opponent was playing bad doesn't mean you have to. Easy folds were available.

I think you over-value AA in O/8. That's a big leak.

It's O/8, not Holdem.

B Mando
04-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Since you are without a doubt the master of PLO8 please tell me how you would play this hand.

And yes, playing 9977 from MP in O8 is terrible.

Spladle Master
04-12-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you are without a doubt the master of PLO8 please tell me how you would play this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp pre-flop. If it's raised behind you, go ahead and re-raise since your hand does really well when it's all-in pre-flop. It doesn't do so well when the flop is 866 or whatever with two to a suit that you don't have. Just for the record, would you have called if your opponent had simply bet the pot at you instead of check-raising?

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, playing 9977 from MP in O8 is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this change the fact that your play of this hand was sub-optimal?

B Mando
04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, would you have called if your opponent had simply bet the pot at you instead of check-raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the SB and I almost got all in on the flop...all but 300 or 400 of my stack or so...

After I played this hand It sure seemed like I over valued the hand but I am still not sure that my play preflop was that bad. It was the 75-150 level with more than a couple limpers, one of whom was pretty short and would most likely commit his stack. As this plan didnt quite work out I blew it big time on the flop. I was thinking that there is no way this flop hit him, but I also knew that the only hands that were calling and putting me all in for my last couple hundred were hands that had me in pretty bad shape. As it turns out when I looked on twodimes I wasnt in that bad of shape.

Is this hand an auto-matic pot bet preflop if I have the button? I think the fact that I didnt have position made the value of my hand go way down.

[ QUOTE ]
How does this change the fact that your play of this hand was sub-optimal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...if I put him on high cards then I am ahead. If I put him on a hand with A2 then then only thing I have to worry about is if he maybe has a 6 or A2 of diamonds. This is the last hand I thought I would see. It doesnt change anything really, but when someone calls a huge bet and then gets luccky to hit a flop with a terrible hand and you cant even get your half of the pot(low) it really sucks. The other guy also came across as a know it all dick. I wasnt in that bad of shape at all and this flop hit my opponent in the face. He had to hit the flop or this pot was mine.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=888178
pokenum -o8 ac as kh 4h - 9d 9h 7d 7h -- 8d 6d 6h
Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 820 enumerated boards containing 8d 6d 6h
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
As Ac Kh 4h 318 318 502 0 469 0 0 0.584
9d 7d 9h 7h 181 502 318 0 0 0 0 0.416

Ribbo
04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
You are an idiot. I would be extremely happy raising AAK4 preflop if the flop came 668 every single time.