PDA

View Full Version : Finding a person that doesn't want to be found.

bholdr
04-11-2005, 12:46 AM
here's a (semi)hypothetical story:

an old guy in the bar tells me thet he knows the name of a man that's responsible for a robbery in NY about thirty years ago. valuable art was taken, and the theives got away clean. over the years a progressivly larger reward has been offered.

the old dude says that he and a couple of his old freinds have peiced together who is responsible- a criminal from their old neighborhood that has been in prison for many years. he was released, because one of them saw him in an airport (which puts a series of events in motion, leading up to their deduction of the man's guilt). these old duders are in their sixties and not too tech savvy. they've considered hiring a PI.[i am not a PI] he gives me a name and a breif description, including height, weight, a high school graduating class, a breif list of the guys abilities, trades, preferences, all the info is very dated. he suspects that this guy is in the lower midwest somewhere.

how would one go about finding this person?

NLSoldier
04-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Are you a PI? If you are then I would think you would already know all this stuff and if you aren't then why would he higher you?

Apathy
04-11-2005, 12:50 AM
by asking on OOT, make a poll as to likely suspects and we will vote on their name and location.

Also I recommend checking the names thread in case he slips up.

nothumb
04-11-2005, 12:51 AM
One wouldn't, unless one is a secret agent or wants to die.

NT

bholdr
04-11-2005, 12:54 AM
no i am not a pi, i am 4tabling and didn't see that my post implied that.

I don't really believe this story- this guy's just a dude i met in the bar and talk sportsbetting with, anyway. however, it's interesting.

bholdr
04-11-2005, 12:57 AM
"One wouldn't, unless one is a secret agent or wants to die.

NT

the idea is to alert the authorities and to collect the reward, i suppose.

sam h
04-11-2005, 01:06 AM
I have a friend who is a PI and she says she does at least 50% of her research with Google. I'm sure you could also figure out when and where the guy was locked up and whether he had a PO afterwards.

eric5148
04-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Sounds like a job for Ice.
http://premium1.uploadit.org/eric5148//ICE.jpg

Jack of Arcades
04-11-2005, 01:17 AM
NICE.

Phat Mack
04-11-2005, 01:26 AM
If the guy is smart about hiding, you need a good PI. If he's not, then you can use a regular PI. If you have his SS#, you can probably locate him thru an online service.

I am going to do you a favor and tell you where he is. He's in Spitsbergen, operating their web cam.

wacki
04-11-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can probably locate him thru an online service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or buy a program. You would be amazed at what you can dig up on people. Still, like sam h said, google is very powerfull.

eastbay
04-11-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

how would one go about finding this person?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. I can just picture the guy I found ending up dead, and the guys in the bar turning out to be the criminals and the dead guy being an informant.

eastbay

bholdr
04-11-2005, 04:41 AM
OK- hypotheticly speaking the researcher discovers that A: the robbery actually took place, B: there is a massive reward, and C: this person who's been accused actually exists (or existed).

google, and other online resources come up totally blank. last mention of this person is 1974.

what's next? (hypotheticly speaking)

bobman0330
04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't understand... Usually aren't rewards offered for information leading to capture? This isn't the Wild West where you need to bring in the fugitive dead or alive... is it?

CrazyN8
04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
by asking on OOT, make a poll as to likely suspects and we will vote on their name and location.

Also I recommend checking the names thread in case he slips up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaz the bitch....canada

usmfan
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
One service I've used for work, not a PI, is accurint. Probably won't be helpful if the person is trying not to be found. BTW, consider the source of the story (old guy in bar, drinking) and weigh against monetary expenditures. Accurint is only a quarter so maybe it balances.

jakethebake
04-11-2005, 12:00 PM
You'll never get me alive.

tpir90036
04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Instead of googling for some random low-life's name, why don't you google for some people finding services?

If you could land his social security number by tracking down an old employer or something you would be in the $$$. Also, there is some monster database that lawyer types have access too.... I forget what it's called, and you need a reason to use it. My roommate is a paralegal and did a serach on me once for kicks and it came up with every place I had ever worked, lived, ever neighbor I had ever had, etc. And I am just a random 27-year old Joe Nobody.

bholdr
04-11-2005, 02:17 PM
perhaps "locating" would be more accurate... i don't think i'd be into going after this dude.

i don't really believe this story anyway, but it's been an intresting exercise.