PDA

View Full Version : anything I can do about it pt. 2

JaBlue
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
ok so if you read my first post, I thought that my iPod was jacked by some sketchy dude during a friendly poker game. I wasn't sure it was him because there were a couple other suspects and because my house is a complete mess, so after all I could have misplaced it.

Part 2:
My friend saw the ipod in my house before it was taken during the session. I trust this guy not to take the pod, and he knows sketchy guy and thinks he did it. Sketchy guy is strong.

Now that I am 99% sure sketchy dude stole the pod, what would you do? Keep in mind I have his name and number and am in contact with a bunch of people that have his address. I'm not looking for revenge here and I would rather not call the police.

so far I've thought of doing the following:

a) having another session at my house and invite this guy and then call him on it (note that nobody says that they saw him do it, so if he denies the allegations I can't really prove anything)

b) have one of this guy's friends get him to admit to it and then take it from there

c) have another session but leave some new valuable out in the open as bait and try to get him to jack and then call him out on that theft when there're other people there

What option of these should I choose, or should I do something else? Explain your rationale.

PS I am pretty sure this guy isn't packin' heat, but it is possible that he may have a knife on him.

Alobar
04-10-2005, 11:21 PM
youve got no proof. do a better job of protecting your [censored] next time, and just move on.

If you are going to call someone a liar, a cheat, or a theif...you better have damn good proof in my book. And "hes kinda sketchy" isnt good enough proof.

JaBlue
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Alobar, I am 99% sure this guy took it. There were three people near where the iPod was at the time and I am absolutely sure the other two didn't take it. By process of elimination, it has to be him. The only reason I didn't say I knew it was him for sure was because my house is a mess and I wasn't really sure if the ipod was where I thought it was in the first place and now that one of the three has told me that he saw the ipod there, I am sure sketchy guy took it.

Alobar
04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar, I am 99% sure this guy took it. There were three people near where the iPod was at the time and I am absolutely sure the other two didn't take it. By process of elimination, it has to be him. The only reason I didn't say I knew it was him for sure was because my house is a mess and I wasn't really sure if the ipod was where I thought it was in the first place and now that one of the three has told me that he saw the ipod there, I am sure sketchy guy took it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the belief that the other people didnt take it, is not proof that he did take it. Im not saying he didnt take it, im saying you have ZERO proof.

Vince Young
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Alobar is clearly sketchy dude.

[censored]
04-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I still think the only thing you can do here is file a police report. Beyond that I would be looking to end my ties with "sketchy dude who could my kick ass" not looking to reinvite him over for some Columbo moment.

Alobar
04-10-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would be looing to end my ties with "sketchy dude who could my kick ass" not looking to reinvite him over for some Columbo moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is solid advice

shant
04-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Something similar happened to me where someone that I invited to a party at a friend's house invited someone else. That guy ended up stealing a digital camera from my friend. I was 99% sure the guy did it, and I had the friend that invited him call the guy on it. Of course, he just denied it, and the resolution was that guy never came to my house or my friend's house again because we had lost his trust in him.

I think you just have to be careful with your belongings around shady people, and don't have those type of people around if you can't trust them.

JaBlue
04-11-2005, 12:59 AM
yeah this was my least favorite option but I guess it may be the soundest of them.

Eurotrash
04-11-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
some Columbo moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is funny. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i probably watched too much columbo to see why.

Ulysses
04-11-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS I am pretty sure this guy isn't packin' heat, but it is possible that he may have a knife on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised there aren't more OOT deaths given the frequency of confrontations that seem to be occurring w/ guys who might be "strapped" or "packing heat."

InchoateHand
04-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Dude, everybody knows that all the cool kids in the dorm are strapped. That's why nobody goes into the showers--they could be shanked at any time.

mostsmooth
04-11-2005, 06:46 AM
hidden camera if you set anything up next time

AEKDBet
04-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Get someone you trust, who knows sketchy guy to resteal it. Then carve your initials on it.

jakethebake
04-11-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still think the only thing you can do here is file a police report. Beyond that I would be looking to end my ties with "sketchy dude who could my kick ass" not looking to reinvite him over for some Columbo moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when said Columbo moment accomplishes nothing except that it leads to your ass getting kicked.