PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Ohio heard about this???

Talk2BigSteve
04-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Ironically enough, Ohio's recently enacted ban on gay marriage has had an unexpected effect on the good straight folks of Ohio.

A dude named Frederick Burk was arrested for beating the [censored] out of his live-in girlfriend. Police charged him with felony domestic battery but the charges had to be reduced to a misdemeanor of simple assault because Ohio's new gay marriage ban prohibits enforcing a law that would "create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals."

The guy would have been facing up to 18 months because he'd been previously convicted of domestic battery. But now he faces a fine and most likely no jail time.

Of course the Ohio legislature is expected to take up a bill in the coming weeks that would define domestic violence as an act committed when individuals reside together, regardless of marital status.

Thank goodness the nice God fearing straight folks of Ohio won't have to suffer this injustice for much longer!

Here is a link to the story without my spin Ohio Gay Marriage Law Problems (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1369364/posts)

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

"spaceman"Bryce
04-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I think this is an interesting post, and yeah it probably should be in politics.I dont have a comment about this yet.It is ironic though. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

BadBoyBenny
04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Why is this a problem with the gay marriage law?

The problem is that you can beat someone up in Ohio and not go to jail. I don't see why you should get less jail time for beating some random woman than you would for beating your girlfriend.