PDA

View Full Version : Calling on River with ace high HU out of position.

A_C_Slater
04-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Paradise $1/2 ---8 handed

Villian (UTG) is a frequent cold caller the only hand I have seen is A6s on the button however, as he usually mucks. I have him cold calling 5 times in about 100 hands.

He plays things like KTo UTG but nothing that is total trash.

UTG calls, 4 folds, button calls, AC raises in SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, BB folds, 2 calls.

(7 SB)
3 players-- FLOP: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

AC bets, UTG calls, button folds.

(4 BB)
2 players --TURN: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

AC bets, Villian raises, AC calls.

(8 BB)
2 players-- RIVER: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

AC checks, Villian bets, I think for about 10 seconds and call. Good/bad call? Should I even think about it this long or should I be insta-calling on this board? Should I not even stop to think and instamuck with my ace high?

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
What's his aggression like? Either way I don't like this all that much.

A_C_Slater
04-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't have PT so I can't give specific aggression numbers, but he seemed capable of making bluff raises like this one. You do agree with the turn call, right?

mmbt0ne
04-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I think the turn call is a little thin, but you said you can see him making this bluff, so ok. River call is a lot thin. What is he limping with UTG? Is he loose enough to do that with a lot of hands, and keep calling with the hands that miss?

If you decided you were calling down UI after the turn raise, you need to accept the fact that you're putting in 2BB to win 8BB. If he's not bluffing more than 20% of the time, this is a losing play.

Shillx
04-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I think the turn call is a little thin, but you said you can see him making this bluff, so ok. River call is a lot thin.

Yeah I agree about the turn call. I would usually fold and move on to the next hand. The river call is anything but thin though. When the hero calls the turn, he is pretty much saying to himself "I think my AK is good here" and he is calling down because he puts the villian on a semi-bluff. When the river bricks out, we have to make this call imo. So the two options here for me are a) fold the turn or b) call down. Calling the turn to spike a pair probably is -EV because of those times that we hit and lose because he also makes a flush or has us reverse dominated or whatever.

Brad

irishpint
04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
If he's as bad as you say you could have been drawing against either straight- he could have a 3 or 7. But against that type of flop I think you did right, hoping to land your top pair on the river. Also possible that he had made a set? I dunno...I agree with whoever said to drop it and move on.