PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight- folded on river

Rickyroodido
04-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I have started multitasking witch makes me more focused on playing well, before I went bored when no hands showed up and I lowered my raising standards. However I have a little troubble to get decent reads because of this.
No player reads, but the table is fairly loose preflop and very loose postflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 ($30.1)
MP1 ($26.7)
MP2 ($25.75)
MP3 ($24.75)
CO ($42.95)
Button ($34.77)
Hero ($48.4)
BB ($21.95)
UTG ($6.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls $3, Button folds.

Turn: ($10) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, MP3 calls $4.

River: ($18) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $16.5 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $39.50

was the flop raise ok?
On the the turn I was scared of a boat and figured he would either reraise such a hand or fold... then I got really confused.
Was it a bad laydown?

edge
04-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Why are you afraid of a set? Villian bet pot and then called a raise. This looks a lot more like top pair than anything else. In fact, it looks a lot like JT, catching the straight on the river.

I think you'd get more action from two pair or a set. Bet 8-10 on the turn.

Suntzu00000
04-11-2005, 01:39 AM
You have a straight but its vulnerable to being counterfited. You have to bet more on the flop. By raising to only $4 villan was getting 2:1 to call you. You need to get his odds down to under 1.5 so his open ended straight with an over card becomes a dog. In order to acomplish this you needed to raise to at least $7.00 on the flop.

Whats with the turn bet? $4.00 into a $10 dollar pot?? You actually gave him better odds to draw on the turn than you did on the flop. I think you're still ahead on the turn so you need to bet more than $4.00, I would have bet about $15 on the turn and tried to take him down right there. If he raises you trip tens is more likely than a boat and I would probably call that down too.

In your exact situation I think folding the river is probably correct, but you should never have let it get this far. I think too many people worry about losing their customers if they flop a big hand. Your goal is to win. This is NL holdem, the point of this game is to make it mathematically catastrophic for weaker players to call you down with crappy draws and second best hands.