PDA

View Full Version : I like Baseball...

MEbenhoe
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I think I'd like to do a job related to it in some way. Any ideas?

I'm a pretty smart guy, get pretty good grades in my college classes, and would like to stay away from the sports marketing area. Anything else I'm pretty open to. Working in other sports is a possibility too, but I'd be most interested in working in baseball. Is this a pipe dream, or are there actual decent jobs I could get that are in some way related?

kerssens
04-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Go to any of the teams pages and they'll have listings of job openings.

Uglyowl
04-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Having no relavent experience, you would have to start out doing the radar gun or something like that as an intern if you get lucky.

Vince Young
04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Maybe you could be an announcer or manager.

Popinjay
04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Get on your knees for Nate Tha' Great

mostsmooth
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could be an announcer or manager.

[/ QUOTE ]
dont they reserve those jobs for ex-ballplayers?

Vince Young
04-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, if they do, that's just not fair.

istewart
04-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Statistician, sabermetrician. But if you look outside baseball for statistics-related jobs I believe they are plentiful.

tbach24
04-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Start reading tons and tons of baseballprospectus and other sabermetrics stuff. Become a known and respected member. Get hired by some team as statistician/sabermetrician. This is what I plan on doing if my other plan fails (winning billions of $$ in poker and buying a franchise and running every aspect of it.)

istewart
04-10-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start reading tons and tons of baseballprospectus and other sabermetrics stuff. Become a known and respected member. Get hired by some team as statistician/sabermetrician. This is what I plan on doing if my other plan fails (winning billions of $$ in poker and buying a franchise and running every aspect of it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha.

MEbenhoe
04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Statistician, sabermetrician. But if you look outside baseball for statistics-related jobs I believe they are plentiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would I be a statistics major in college then?

jason_t
04-10-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I finish my PhD, this is one of my top five choices. Ever since a fellow wannabe mathematician showed me Bill James' book four years ago, I have been obsessed with this idea.

jason_t
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would certainly be a prudent choice.

istewart
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I finish my PhD, this is one of my top five choices. Ever since a fellow wannabe mathematician showed me Bill James' book four years ago, I have been obsessed with this idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be following you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You majored in that?

jason_t
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How awesome would it be to study baseball for your career and continue to play poker for extra income?

jason_t
04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You majored in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I majored in Math/CS and minored in Physics/Stats.

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How awesome would it be to study baseball for your career and continue to play poker for extra income?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

MEbenhoe
04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Physics? thats another major I'm considering

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Are you looking to go into Engineering?

jason_t
04-10-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Physics? thats another major I'm considering

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly any analytical subject would be a good choice. Take some statistics and statistical thermodynamics if you are really considering this track. And read Bill James everyday.

MicroBob
04-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Most jobs in baseball are INCREDIBLY long hours for INCREDIBLY bad pay.

You will want to be attending the baseball winter meetings in December. the location for this year would be listed at minorleaguebaseball.com. You would to sign-up for the PBEO (Professional Baseball Employment Opportunities).
I think the meetings might be in Boston again this year but am not sure.

This where you NEED to be to get a job in minor-league baseball.

If you have any "in's" to get to the major-leagues then use them...otherwise getting a job in the minors somewhere will be your best bet.
At the baseball winter-meetings there will be a few hundred college to post-college kids walking around in suits and briefcases setting up interviews with various teams.
Statastician is not one of the jobs they would be offering.
Sales or ticket-manager, etc are among those that would be availalbe but it's mostly all general gopher-type duty.

I don't know the process for becoming what I think you would prefer to become.

I worked in minor-league baseball for about 10 years and have been to the baseball winter meetings 5 or 6 times.

I have directed college-aged kids who wanted to get a job in sports (or baseball specifically) to go to the meetings.
One kid is someone I bumped into a couple years later. After putting in his time in the minors he got a job with the Cincy Reds (he's from Cincy...so for him this was a good thing).

My first gig was as an intern with the Madison Muskies in 1992.Became friends with a woman with the Rockford Expos who was a general promotional/sales person there. She had done her internship with Rochester.
She sold advertising...helped keep stats...did the PA....never slept....and even cleaned the urinals in her time in Rockford.

She was talented though and friendly.
She eventually got a job with the Chicago Cubs (for awhile there I could get seats right behind home-plate at Wrigley Field whenever I was able to make it up there).
She was still hardly ever sleeping...but she was working at Wrigley Field as a senior-account executive (or something like that).

Now she works for the SF Giants (her family lives in the SF area).

Also - if you were to go I would STRONGLY recommend internships in the Florida State League...because of the Spring Training as well as all the other minor-league player camps going on through the season (such as when all the high school and college kids get drafted in June...they might all show up there before being shipped off to their respective teams) there are REAL opportunities to meet people and look impressive in front of some baseball big-wigs...and I'm talking major-league GM's and asst GM's (or staff members who might have influence in the future).
It's a great place to show-off your professionalism and potentially get noticed.

But ther other leagues are good too of course.

Again - I understand that this isn't exactly what you're looking into...but I just don't know how realistic 'Major League baseball statistician' is as a career-path.

But if you can learn to sell advertising, don't really need to ever sleep, can be professional and don't mind making virtually no money and possibly relocating for a summer or year to Billings, Montana or Tulsa, Oklahoma than minor-league baseball has an internship waiting for you somewhere.

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I just don't know how realistic 'Major League baseball statistician'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think is obvious. It's certainly a fantasy-type job. But if you like this area there are certainly fun jobs to be had outside of baseball, as I mentioned.

tbach24
04-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Isn't there some contest on Yahoo! Baseball to gain entrance to the SFG front office?

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Not that I've heard about. Link?

tbach24
04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
They were advertising like crazy for it last week. I don't see it anymore. I guess the competition may be over or something. I should've looked into it, but was way too lazy.

istewart
04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Meh.

BWebb
04-10-2005, 11:02 PM
The SF Giants Contest- If you signed up for a fantasy baseball team on Yahoo, you could enter into it by filing out a form, answering a few question, quick bio. They then chose a 12-league out of that pool. Whoever wins the league gets a job with the Giants. Watching interview of GM Brian Sabean, it's not going to be a gopher job, but a "real" baseball job. It's a one year contract.

MEbenhoe
04-11-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you looking to go into Engineering?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely not

Apathy
04-11-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd like to do a job related to it in some way. Any ideas?

I'm a pretty smart guy, get pretty good grades in my college classes, and would like to stay away from the sports marketing area. Anything else I'm pretty open to. Working in other sports is a possibility too, but I'd be most interested in working in baseball. Is this a pipe dream, or are there actual decent jobs I could get that are in some way related?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a seinfeld quote. Just do what George did.

Jack of Arcades
04-11-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul DePodesta was an econ major at harvard, IIRC.

You gotta get your foot in as an intern and then work your ass off everyday. It's a hard job. As much as I love baseball, I couldn't do it.

Dead
04-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Are you good at playing baseball?

MEbenhoe
04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you good at playing baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, my career consisted of me being a relatively pretty good pitcher, and a hell of a fielding 3rd baseman, a great base stealer, but when it came right down to it about a .200 career hitter /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dead
04-11-2005, 01:45 AM
At least you broke the Mendoza line. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I never played baseball on a team. Tee ball as a little kid, and then soccer from 7th grade on.

MEbenhoe
04-11-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At least you broke the Mendoza line. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it sucks to love baseball, and be really good at every part of the game except hitting.

Dead
04-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Well, if you're a good pitcher, you don't have to be good at hitting. Very few NL pitchers break the Mendoza line.

And Pokey Reese sucks at hitting as well. But he's a fantastic defensive SS/2B, so that's why he's around.

MEbenhoe
04-11-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you're a good pitcher, you don't have to be good at hitting. Very few NL pitchers break the Mendoza line.

And Pokey Reese sucks at hitting as well. But he's a fantastic defensive SS/2B, so that's why he's around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never coulda been a pro or even D3 college level pitcher, and Pokey Reese sucks at hitting compared to major league hitters, compared to the average baseball player he's a great hitter.

tech
04-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Sports bettor.