PDA

View Full Version : how do I play this hand

chipolino
04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I have trouble playing in situations like this, can you guys give me some advice on how to play this type of hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, SB folds.

3-bet here?

Turn: (3 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

davelin
04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Raise pre-flop, raise flop.

string4
04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Probably SO wrong here but...

for 5 SB facing a flush and straight draw holding an underpair - I fold the flop.

FishHooks
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I agree, the pot is too small also

chipolino
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
So, this is an ok raise here from early position?

Malachii
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
This is a really good question.

I usually raise the flop in situations like this. If he three bets me, I'm gone, unless he's a LAG. If he checked on fourth street, I'd probably check behind him and then call a bet on the river to see a cheap showdown.

However, I also struggle in these situations, so my advice might not be best.

Firefly
04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Raise pf, espeically 7 handed, though in any position its good for a raise. If you do call pf (which i occasionally do to mix things up on a table if i've been agressive) I'd raise the flop. Bet the turn, and then take a free showdown, barring a 9.

IPSC
04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
*not reading any responses*

I'm 99.97% sure you have to raise this hand preflop. Seven handed pockets 9s is a strong hand. Push your preflop equity.

I don't think you want to call BB's bet. I would raise this flop. Not so sure what I would do afterwards though. If he just calls and checks the turn of course you would want to bet since the 5 on the turn is a "safe" card.

GrunchCan
04-10-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GrunchCan
04-10-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

for 5 SB facing a flush and straight draw holding an underpair - I fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the only card the opponent would bet here is a T, this would be right. But its not. The villan might bet anything from TT, AT, T9, 52o, all the way down to just an Ellix (J-high). Hero's hand is too strong to fold, there's a good chance he has the best hand.

Since Hero's hand is too good to fold, the question becomes weather we should just call or raise. Raising is better becasue it is the best chance to get the pot HU, or even take it right now occasionally. If Hero just calls, many opponents will call 1 with overcards, which is worse for Hero. Hero should raise here.

cmwck
04-10-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the only card the opponent would bet here is a T, this would be right. But its not. The villan might bet anything from TT, AT, T9, 52o, all the way down to just an Ellix (J-high). Hero's hand is too strong to fold, there's a good chance he has the best hand.

Since Hero's hand is too good to fold, the question becomes weather we should just call or raise. Raising is better becasue it is the best chance to get the pot HU, or even take it right now occasionally. If Hero just calls, many opponents will call 1 with overcards, which is worse for Hero. Hero should raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say we raise the flop, and get it heads up, what is the plan if something like a jack or queen comes on the turn and we get bet into again?

Shillx
04-11-2005, 12:26 AM

I see this line and I raise you a...

Call preflop, call flop, raise turn. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Both of these lines are okay imo. The tough thing about the flop is that he probably has a draw or a ten and raising the flop does us little good. The pot is small enough such that people are making a mistake calling with a hand like QJ. If the pot were bigger (ie. you raised preflop) you should then raise the flop to knock out a hand like QJ that would be correct to call the flop.

Brad

Aaron W.
04-11-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he checked on fourth street, I'd probably check behind him and then call a bet on the river to see a cheap showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, it's better to bet the turn and check the river than to take your line. The reason is that by checking the turn, you give up any fold equity that you might have. You also lose money when you had the best hand, but let him outdraw you for free.

For me to go for the cheap showdown, I would probably be in one of the following situations:

1) I'm certain I have a second place hand, I have lots of outs, and villain is capable of check-raising me. (KTs with a QJ57 flush draw board, and aggressive villain has at least top pair.)
2) I don't know where I stand, but villain will auto-bet the river if I check the turn.

cmwck
04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Both of these lines are okay imo. The tough thing about the flop is that he probably has a draw or a ten and raising the flop does us little good. The pot is small enough such that people are making a mistake calling with a hand like QJ. If the pot were bigger (ie. you raised preflop) you should then raise the flop to knock out a hand like QJ that would be correct to call the flop.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Another interesting line, as always. Are you saying call the flop and raise the turn assuming we know the turn will be a 5, or do we raise the turn no matter what card it is? (In both cases assume BB is the only one who bets out)

scotty34
04-11-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Call preflop, call flop, raise turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with the Call preflop part of your line there. Sure it's all fine and good now that you know what the flop was going to bring, but you didn't know that PF. I would say it is very important to raise this, get rid of all the Kxs and Qxs, or KTo etc. (if the players at the table are capable of folding these to a raise). I'm kind of surprised you would suggest this line, as you always seem like one who is a fan of a lot of PF aggression. Care to explain your reasoning?

just2pimp
04-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Definetly raise this preflop it makes it a little easier,
if bb still bets the flop raise again and bet the turn if checked to
check through the river ui

bottomset
04-11-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

my default is the raise/raise line, but limping with 99 is not bad(sometimes made out to be horrid) though doing so in a 7handed situation doesn't seem right, full ring with a good loose-slightagressive tone to it, its fine to limp and get the pot 5-6handed

and if you do just call preflop, I like the call flop, raise turn line more than the raise flop go from there line

string4
04-11-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Say we raise the flop, and get it heads up, what is the plan if something like a jack or queen comes on the turn and we get bet into again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanted to bump this, I was wondering the same thing, at what point do we conclude that we're beat? I've heard others speak of not believing their beat until they are facing a 3-bet, etc. Great topic btw ) learning lots.

GrunchCan
04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanted to bump this, I was wondering the same thing, at what point do we conclude that we're beat? I've heard others speak of not believing their beat until they are facing a 3-bet, etc. Great topic btw ) learning lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets, Hero Raises, MP1 folds, SB folds, BB Calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q (2 players)
BB bets, Hero...

Villan stop &amp; go's the turn when a Q falls. I can give this hand up easily getting 5:1. What sorts of hands does the Villan S&amp;G with here? If the Q improved his hand, he could have lots of outs against us, or we could be drawing nearly dead. So we are slightly ahead or way behind. The pot is still fairly small, I'll let it go. If the Q were the Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I'd turbo muck.

Mike Z
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Call PreFlop
Raise Flop, Fold to a 3-Bet