PDA

View Full Version : Pushing too hard with 99?

CostaRicaBill
04-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Villian (button) is 37/13/.83 over 180 hands. How do you guys like the flop cap and turn/river play. Could I possibly still be good here? Felt like spewage at the time.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Button calls.

Hard to put Button on a 2 since he cold called the raise pf. Possibly a pocket pair worse than mine or a flush draw?

Turn: (11 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (17 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 19 BB

RunDownHouse
04-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I don't like your play, but I don't think I would play it any differently. Although the flop call/3bet scares me, he might be going nutty with a diamond draw, and there's a lot of players likely drawing to only 6 outs, at best, against you, so I would cap as well. After the cap, checking the turn doesn't give you any more useful information about his hand. Once he raises the turn I'm pretty sure you're hosed, but is it ok to call down for 2BB more with 2 clean outs and a tiny chance you're ahead? I have no clue.

It'll be interesting to hear what some of the more experienced players have to say on this one... &lt;nudge&gt;

eniven
04-10-2005, 06:32 PM
If I was in your situation, I'd have called the 3 bet on the flop and check/called the turn and river.

Rubeskies
04-10-2005, 06:43 PM
One possible play could be to call the 3-bet on the flop and then lead a safe turn. I'm not sure if it's best but it is certainly a possible option because your equity is going to change so much with the turn card.

Button played this like a flush draw or a monster. Once you are raised on the turn I think I would call down simply because you have no read but if I did have a read that the dude was really passive I might be able to let it go to the turn raise.

Grisgra
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was in your situation, I'd have called the 3 bet on the flop and check/called the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

RunDownHouse
04-10-2005, 08:37 PM
For those who go into calldown mode after the 3bet, I assume this is even if the turn is a diamond? How about the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif?

Just curious on others' thoughts.

Matty
04-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Am I the only one who 3-bets this PF every time?

Joe826
04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
From the blinds I won't 3-bet 99. If I had position on the original raiser i'd 3-bet for sure though.

Joe826
04-10-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hero played the hand fine. When it comes to calling the 3-bet or capping, at that moment, I think it's more likely that villian has a smaller pocket pair or a draw. Villain did cold-call preflop.

Of course, when raised on the turn, it sure looks like hero is beat, but I just don't think folding is a good idea.

mperich
04-10-2005, 10:27 PM
I check call on the turn and river. Button had 55? A2s maybe? or maybe hes just a donk. I fold if a diamond comes off btw.

-Mike

TomBrooks
04-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Tom sez:

Raise preflop to fold the button and isolate UTG.

Bet out on the flop and call down rest of way if raised. I think checkraising an UTG raiser on the flop is a little risky. His 3 bet response makes me think he has a big pair. Either a big pair of cards or a big pair of cojones.

Your flop cap and bet out on the turn tells me you have a big pair of cojones also, but I think your spending more on this hand than is justified, taking villian's action into account.

Jeff W
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I also 3-bet this. I want to make this a 3-way pot.

TMFS9
04-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Flop: (8 SB) 2, 2, 5 (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets, Button calls, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG calls, Button 3-bets , Hero caps

This is the I'm going to slowplay, ah f##k it everyone else is raising I'm done slowplaying line especially with a passive opponent. I would be really surprised if the button doesn't have A2, 55 here.

Wynton
04-11-2005, 10:48 AM
I would not have raised preflop. At most, that gets the bb to fold, but not the button who's already called, and it may well prompt another preflop bet.

arkady
04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
against normal opponents you are drawing to 2 outs after the turn, imo. capping on flop and getting raised on the turn is generally a bad bad sign. with .83 AF (albet a small sample) i would just fold to the raise.