PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Hmm..Capitalizing on my lucky image and nice...

SittingBull
04-10-2005, 05:38 PM
run of cards for about 20 consecutive minutes,I decided to change gears. This is a rare move for the bull. Observant players notice that he throws many hands away on 3rd.
He suddently found an opportunity for aggressive play with a weak starting hand.
The Bull had a medium 1-gap backdr rainbow Str8 on 3rd.
He decides to come over the top of a couple of limpers. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

****************HISTORY************(THANKS,ANDY)

3rd Str.

Seat1 : (X,X) 8c
Seat2 : (X,X) Th
Seat3 : (X,X) 7s
Seat4 : (X,X) 6c
Seat5 : (X,X) Js
Bull : (8h,Tc) Jd
Seat7 : (X,X) 6d
After Seat4 brings it in,Seat5 calls and the Bull RAISES Seat7 /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS
Seat4 /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS Seat1 CALLS Seat2 /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS Seat3 /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS Seat4 /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS

Seat5 /images/graemlins/shocked.gif CALLS

*****************4th Str.************

Seat1 : (X,X) 8c,2d
Seat5 : (X,X) Js,3c
Bull (8h,Tc) Jd,3h

Seat5 CHECKS Bull BETS Seat4 /images/graemlins/confused.gifFOLDS Seat5 /images/graemlins/shocked.gif CALLS

***********************5th*****************
Seat5 (X,X) Js 3c 9d
Bull: (8h,Tc) Jd 3h Ad

Bull: BETS and Seat5 /images/graemlins/shocked.gifCALLS

********************6th Str.*************
Seat5 (X,X) Js 3c 9d Ks
Bull: (8h,Tc) Jd 3h Ad 9s
Hmmm How should the Bull proceed on 6th?? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Andy B
04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
OK, now use greenage's converter, leave out some of the /images/graemlins/confused.gifs, and your post might become semi-legible.

I'd fold on third. Having raised, I guess continuing your little charade is OK, but I think I prefer a check. Having over-bet your hand, I think betting fifth is OK, as people will sometimes fold on fifth. Since he has indicated that he isn't going anywhere, I think I'd check sixth and hope to get lucky.

MickeyT
04-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Yup - totally agree with AndyB.
Not much chance of stealing the antes on 3rd but I guess it's a fair enough raise with your gutshot str8 and highest card showing on the back of your lucky 20mins. It would be a fold for me though.

Once you're comitted (not to a mental asylum) I like the bet on 5th after catching an ace. A lot of opponents would fold against that and your previous action.

On 6th it's time to come clean, check and cross the fingers...You shouldn't be too far off 50/50 to take the pot.

Andy B
04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
50:50? I count 35 unseen cards, seven of which will give Bull the straight. Maybe an Ace will be good, maybe it won't. He might be able to bluff, but opponent appears to be in call-down mode. I don't think he's on a draw.

SittingBull
04-10-2005, 08:37 PM
like giving an OPPO. a precious gift!...I continued to drive 6th . My OPPO. abandoned ship. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
The Bull took it down...NOTE--I had an open-ender on 6th. However,my bet was not a semi-bluff because my str8 draw was concealed. However, on 3rd,it's conceivable one might think that I have (A,A),,, and connected with (A,A),,,A..
I was driving on a "gut" feeling or animal-like instinct. After all,I am a bull! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
HappyPokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBull

SittingBull
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Trying to turn a weak hand into a winner--at times stumbling over...I'll try the Converter at a later date...
HappyPokering /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBull

MRBAA
04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Basically this is bad play, as you know. But against an opponent who can fold in this situation on sixth...well, your excellent game selection skills may make up for getting a little to caught up in playing your rush.

btw, in loose passive stud games I will often limp medium one gap straights like this one.

MickeyT
04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like giving an OPPO. a precious gift!...I continued to drive 6th . My OPPO. abandoned ship. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
The Bull took it down...NOTE--I had an open-ender on 6th. However,my bet was not a semi-bluff because my str8 draw was concealed. However, on 3rd,it's conceivable one might think that I have (A,A),,, and connected with (A,A),,,A..
I was driving on a "gut" feeling or animal-like instinct. After all,I am a bull! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It looked to me like your oppo was in call-down mode with a medium pair. Most players will see river if they get to 6th. If you had a feeling your opponent would fold that's fair enough - it turned out to work well for you.

Showing weakness on 6th isn't a disaster. A free card probably benefits you more than your oppo since you are on a draw.
There comes a time when admitting weakness becomes preferable to throwing money at a weak hand.

If your oppo had called 6th and you caught a blank on river would you have bet?

MickeyT
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
OK you're right, Andy. Chances of winning are probably less than 50:50.