PDA

View Full Version : Very short stack - very happy result

SeriousStudent
04-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Last Friday Party Poker Special NL Holdem. 888 entrants.

I have less than 2 Big Blinds left when there are 115 players remaining and find myself in the big blind ( 1 BB in the pot, 1 remaining) facing a big raise from UTG. I have AK.

Pay table looks like this:

1st - 39K
11-20: $1420
21-30: 1065
31-40: 976
41-50: 799
51-60: 621
61-70: 532
71-80: 444
81-90: 355

In an earlier PP Million guaranteed where the lowest payout was $900, I played an AK in a similar situation and busted out at 222 when the payout was down to 200. So this time I decided to fold, hoping that with less than 1 BB left I could somehow survive to 90th.

Well, I didn't play a hand except when forced to in the blinds, and found myslef in 90th - very excited.

Then it got very strange.

I was at 80.

Then 70.

Then 60.

Then 50.

Still with less than 1 BB and never playing a hand. I even tossed AA once when I had 400 chips and the blinds were 750 / 1500 as I didn’t see the point to doubling up. I began a hand with 840 chips in the small blind when it was 750, leaving me with 90. I folded even that hand ( around 50 players left with average stack of about 20k).

This went on for 2+ more hours. I took the maximum amount of time each hand , and the table didn’t care , as they and others kept rooting me on. Guys with 10s of thousands busted out right and left. I played no hands except the blinds.

End result - 19th!

Should I have played the AA, called the small blind bet?. This result seems amazing to me, a relatively new MTT player ( 1 year) but maybe it is commonplace?

CardSharpCook
04-10-2005, 05:23 PM
friend, you got some serious work to do with your game. Way too tight. Do not focus on the results of this terrible strategy.

CSC

Simplistic
04-10-2005, 05:25 PM
way too results oriented. should have pushed the AK and the AA. hell you shouldn't have let yourself get down to 2BB

bugstud
04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
go look at all the situations you were allin and figure out your % of winning. Multiply the win% numbers. Come back to us with the result. It should enlighten you substantially.

SeriousStudent
04-10-2005, 06:04 PM
I can understand your comments, based soley on my post. I do have an observation that no one is given the benefit of the doubt on this forum unless they are a regular poster. As I noted, I previously played the AK in a similar fashion, posted it on this site, and got blasted for not folding it and pocketing the $900. Now I get blasted for folding it, and making the money.

I did not get to two BB in that tourney by sitting on my chips. Right now I am at t6110 1 1/2 hours into the PP Sunday quarter Million, and you don't get there by plaing ultra tight.

This is the first time I have ever played this way. Once I got to 90th place with 400 chips when the blinds were 500/100 , I just was curious as to what would happen if I folded everything. Sort of an experiment once I had snuck into the money with nothing left.

The reason for my post was to share the experience, and see if it is as unusual as I think it is. It was not meant to be representative of my normal play.

captainzodiac
04-10-2005, 06:27 PM
nice finish,go buy something nice for the wife,so she'll let you keep playing!

bugstud
04-10-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand your comments, based soley on my post. I do have an observation that no one is given the benefit of the doubt on this forum unless they are a regular poster. As I noted, I previously played the AK in a similar fashion, posted it on this site, and got blasted for not folding it and pocketing the $900. Now I get blasted for folding it, and making the money.

I did not get to two BB in that tourney by sitting on my chips. Right now I am at t6110 1 1/2 hours into the PP Sunday quarter Million, and you don't get there by plaing ultra tight.

This is the first time I have ever played this way. Once I got to 90th place with 400 chips when the blinds were 500/100 , I just was curious as to what would happen if I folded everything. Sort of an experiment once I had snuck into the money with nothing left.

The reason for my post was to share the experience, and see if it is as unusual as I think it is. It was not meant to be representative of my normal play.

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a problem with you getting to 2 BB in the first place, honestly, then not taking AK and getting to 4.5BB's and possibly moving up a lot higher

04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both regular and not-so-regular posters are treated fairly on this board. In fact your were chastised mildly and cosntructively.

BTW, had you not folded your AK and AA you could probably have made it to the final table. Just think about it.